Using hair gel properly

maxineshaw

I haven't put hair gel in my hair in years, not since I've been natural anyway. I had a really terrible breakage incident when I had a relaxer that broke my hair off something awful.

However, after seeing this (btw, very nice BlackMasterPiece, it was gorgeous) I have decided to try it again.

Anyhow, I'm really looking for tips on how you put hair gel in your hair. Like, say....

• if you use a certain moisturizer under the gel
  • how often you wash your hair when it has gel in it
  • what kind of gel you use
  • what kind of style you wear that requires gel
  • if you use a moisturizer throughout the week over the gel (like a spritz or something)

I'm actually really really nervous about this. The idea of putting gel in my hair gives me butterflies in my stomach.

BlackMasterPiece

Why thank you Mondo:blush3:

The styles that would require gel would be a straw set like what you see at the left on my siggy, comb coils, shingling, some ladies use it to define their curls/coils on a wash and go and that turns out lovely.

I start out putting unrefined shea butter on the hair or a butter mix (lightly) then go ahead and put the gel on as generously as I please.

When it comes to purchasing gels be sure it doesnt contain drying alcohols, the top two best in my opinion are IC fantasia Gels and Eco Styler Gels:yep:

When I use gel its usually for a style we plan to keep in our hair for at least a week but you can wash as often as you please.

The moisturizer I recommend while having gel in the hair is a light oil like coconut oil etc

Hope that helped:yep:

epiphany braids

Mondo, girl I feel your pain

I had to put on my wig for a special occasion (I was NOT using heat to straighten my hair:nono:) so I found some gel in my stash of products I discontinued using, and girl I stood there for a good 10 min just staring at it AFRAID VERY AFRAID. But I had to do it:crying3:

I used Elasta QP gel...don't have the exact name sorry
Its been sooo long, although it laid my 14 weeks post kinks down and had a shine like no other, I couldn't get over the ingredients so damaging :wallbash:

Sorry for rambling :spinning: thank you for creating this post as I too wondered what and if there was some way to protect my hair from gel when I have to absolutely ABSOLUTLY use it.

hhg!!!

brucebettye

1)if you use a certain moisturizer under the gel
Scurl

2)how often you wash your hair when it has gel in it
I wash my hair with shampoo once a week, but I will cowash my hair when I want to change my hair style

3)kind of gel you use
Fantasia IC gel, ecostyler olive oil gel, and ampro pro style berry ice(for my edges), and ampro pro style brown gel(for my flat twists).

4)what kind of style you wear that requires gel
When I wear my puffs, updos, and buns

5)if you use a moisturizer throughout the week over the gel (like a spritz or something)
I use water mixed with scurl in a spray bottle on a daily basis.

One important thing I learned about dealing with gel is I do not comb or brush my hair once the gel is in my hair. I will only finger style my hair until I wash my hair and I will only comb my hair once it is clean.