How Simple Is Your KISS??

curlyninjagirl

I try to keep it simple but there's a lotta little things I do to keep my hair on my head. For the most part, we all shampoo, condition, apply a leave in and sleep with our hair covered and yet results differ from person to person for whatever reason.

Basically, I thought it might help if we share the hundreds of little (and borderline obsessive in my case :grin:) things we do to promote hair growth and retention?

Here are some of mine:

1. I cover my hair from the sun/cold weather when I'm outside
2. I make sure my nails and cuticles are smooth before I handle my hair
3. I only "trim" off 1/4 inch of hair every 6 months
4. When I tie my scarf at night, I make sure the knot is on my forehead not my edges
5. I preserve my hair styles for a week
6. I braid/pin and tuck my hair ends, which has been more effective than sealing
7. I finger detangle only. NO COMBS, NO BRUSHES
8. I combat frizz with a satin head band not product
9. I don't towel dry
10. I moisturize most nights, then braid and tuck the braid in on itself
11. I moisturize with a spritz of 5:1 water and AO HSR
12. I don't use cotton hair accessories. And I'm scared of hair elastics, even the ouchless.
13. I only use a small jaws barrette by scunci for buns or rarely a medium size claw clip
14. As soon as I leave work, those hair pins and clips are outta my hair! I only leave them in as long as I have to. Then my hair gets covered by my satin scarf and hood :blush:
15. I don't use heat, direct or indirect
16. Here's my heat-free DC method: I apply the AO HSR to my twisted hair (6), wrap with saranwrap, put on a winter beanie cap, then my turbie twist over that. It gets pretty warm under that
17. I wash my hair in 4-6 sections to avoid tangles
18. I make sure I know how my hair curls around itself to avoid tangles
19. I keep my hair in 20 twists mostly, to avoid tangling
20. I only wear my hair out on holidays. I'm PSing 99% of the time
21. I manage my breakage by wearing white shirt, and if their are more broken hairs than usual, I adjust the moisture in my regimen
22. I keep a hair journal

Last edited:

Carisa

I only use wide tooth combs when combing
Never use rubberbands or metal clips but some elastic bands will do
I dont use spongy rollers, only the hard ones (the sponge like rollers supposedly soak up the hairs moisture)
I mix sulfur in my infusium 23 bottle before usage
I dilute shampoo (at least half and half water)
Use satin pillowcases
Put conditioner on my hair and sit under dryer for 10mins, then i reapply conditioner and sit under the again for at least 10 more minutes- for extra penetration (read this in a hair book.....cant remember which one though)
Coconut oil almost daily
Under my wig i wear a wig cap then under the wig cap i wear a plastic bag so my hair stays moisturized under the wig

LunadeMiel

I was and deep condition once a week. I don't cover my hair most nights. Besides what I do on wash day i don't moisturize during the week.

Tiye

That's a long list OP. My care methods really are simple and I'm not that ritualistic about it. Shampoo, condition, leave in sometimes, homemade hair butter, comb and/or brush, heat tools sometimes (I don't like my head baking under a bonnet dryer and I also don't have the patience to stay under till my hair dries), cornrows - a lot, sleep in silk scarf - always. That is all.

LovingLady

My hair is washed once a week with diluted ACV. Oil is then applied after the wash process. I detangle my hair out of the shower and then I place my hair in twists. During the week I apply oil to my hair every morning.

Alta Angel

Wash/condition/steam once per week
Apply Kimmaytube leave in on clean, damp hair.
Braid-n-curl or twist-rod set
Spray Taliah Wajiid Mist Bodifier in the morning every day
Sleep with satin bonnet and/or silk scarf every night
Will start getting mini trims once every 4 months.

LifeafterLHCF

That seems alot OP I mean for me it wouldn't work bc for me it would be too much attention on hair and I know there more important things than hair esp being a student.But mine is as basic as it comes.I dc on dry hair every 2 weeks,wash my hair with conditioner on it,use my kinky curly mixture as a leave in,put a bit of castor oil to seal,either bun or braid and wig it up..

alive

hmmmm. i can't think of anything special that i do to my hair and it's growing and retaining without problems. i deep condition with every wash, moisturize with bio-infusion, and i'm out. i have henna but i haven't had time to try it out.

maybe i'll get some ideas from this thread. in other news, i had a dream last night that i allowed someone relax my hair :(

Curlykale

- a natural conditioner, 6 braids, a little oil and then a satin scarf every single night: it takes 5 minutes
- washing, oil rinsing/detangling and deep conditioning once a week, air drying in braids: it takes 1 hour before air drying and then I go to sleep with a towel turban in braids without product, so it dries faster.
- 2 minutes of styling with water and conditioner in the morning
- (no heat, no humectants and no butters)
- soft scrunchies
- I tweak the ph of my products with ACV
- I use natural products only (1 shampoo, 1 cheap conditioner, 1 DC and 1 homemade gel. the gel takes 5 minutes twice a month)

PS= the braiding, conditioning, ph check and oil rinses are to avoid SSK, combat shrinkage, eliminate detangling sessions and to be able to wear my hair out everytime I want to without any consequences.

Last edited:

Yoshi3329

Wash and condition once a week
Clarify when needed.
Cuticle seal once a week.
Deep condition once a week
Add leave-ins once or twice a week.
Trim every season.
Style once a month (cornrows)
detangle once per month.

I personally set one day out for my hair. If I want to do something like add a cellophane, do a twist-out, treat my scalp, it's only going once a week after everything else I have to do.

Americka

That is a long list, OP! The only thing I do on that list is #22 - keep a hair journal. And even that has fallen off to weekly or bi-weekly entries.

Last edited:

~~HoneyComb~~

My KISS routine:

Cowash once a week using any Suave conditioner--shampoo scalp only.

Detangle with wide tooth comb and Denman brush.

Apply Long Aid Curl Activator gel & Biotera leave-in in sections for twists (15-20) OR Ponypuff.

Airdry

LuvlyRain3

Cowash 1a week
Wash/dc/detangle once a week
Moisturize and seal in sections 2 a week
Baggy nightly
2min protein 1-2 a month

I needed this app!!!

Katherina

I cowash in 7 sections 1-2x per week, style, seal with castor oil, and airdry. =)

I poo, henna, & dc every2-3 months.

MissMasala5

I oil my hair, wash the next morning and DC every other day. I keep my hair in 4-5 sections of two-stranded twists and air dry, or dry under the dryer. I let the twists down and wear my hair loose, in pony tail or in a bun, and sleep with my hair covered only when it's oiled. I only flat iron when I trim my ends, and that's a only 2-3 times per year. My regimen used to be pretty busy, but I have pared it down since getting a bit past BSL. My hair is now MBL.

iri9109

when my hair is out i wash weekly with a sulfate free poo (diluted) or cowash with an acv rinse...i cowash mid week...dc weekly with either aussie moist/lustrasilk cholesterol/ors replenishing/or aohsr and oils...apply a leave in and seal with an oil (usually castor) and air dry....i dont use direct heat (except for once i did a blowout but it was on low and cool and felt like cold air, plus i air dried overnight so i only had to use the blowdryer for a couple minutes) i sleep on a satin pillowcase everynight, and most nights tie the front down with a satin scarf...i use cones in moderation, but no mineral oil or petroleum/petrolatum...i dont use combs, i finger detangle with condish and water, and ocassionally use brushes to smooth my edges

AfroKink

this is me: (for now)
1. Lightly detangle with Hawaiian Silky
2. Clarify with VO5 clarifying CONDITIONER
3. Oil wash with castor oil
4. DC with Baba De Caracol (with or without steam)
5. Hawaiian Silky as leave-in with coconut or castor oil to seal
6. Dry with hair stretched (usually banding, rollerset, or bantus)
7** Use Hawaiian silky during week as needed, sleep with satin head wrap, remove any pins before bed, try not to do the same bun everyday...
8. Repeat every 7-10 days

This has decreased my tangling issues and frustration with my hair. For me it has been more about having a stress free detangling session and maintaining moisture than anything else. Incidentally I'm retaining well.

LushLox

Wash and DC once a week
Rollerset
Moisturise and seal daily

That's it. Oh I massage my scalp with Bee Mine and JBCSO when I remember. Anything more will be too much of a hassle.

kittykhat

I preepoo with hemp seed oil and wash and dc my hair every week. After every wash and cowash I use hawaiian silky 14n1 to use it up. Will not repurchase again. Once a month I use a clarifier. I cowash everytime I shower unless I straighten my hair which I never really do. Oh yeah, everyday I use a homemade spritz on my hair. That is all.

fifi134

Wash once a week.

DC when I feel like it.

I usually style and moisturize my hair once, and that is after my hair has dried from a wash.

Put my scarf on at night.

sensi sweetie

Pre poo with Vatika or Suave Almond Shea Butter condish before I shampoo (with a SLS shampoo.... Naughty me :rolleyes:) I always follow up by a thick and yummy condish like HSR or even Lustrasilk mango.

After I get out of the shower I the products I use depends on wether or not I use heat.
No heat: Potion 9, lots of Aloe Vera Gel (100%) and sometimes some Hask placenta (Yes, I know its bad for me)

Heat: Potion 9, some kinda silicone heat protectant and sometimes the placenta. I don't like my hair being weighed down with product when I wear it straight.

Dc atleast 1x a week with no heat

Co wash if my hair/scalp feels dry

Yup. KISS is the way to go for me :)

La Colocha

Baking soda wash,1x per week, use diluted shampoo 1x a month
detangle,condition, dc 1x per week
Apply something to my scalp 2x a week
moisturize 2-3x a week.

My main style is box braids on my own hair for a protective style and i do them over every week.

Dee Raven

I like the simple method too. Here's mine: shampoo, condition, dc, olive oil and humectress as leave-in, twist. Works like a charm.

KSand

When I first started I did a lot of things but I soon found that simple is better for me. I now pre poo/shampoo/DC once a week. I moisturize and seal my freshly washed hair and put it up in a braided bun. I take the bun down every night and moisturize and seal again. I clarify every 4-6 weeks. I also wrap my hair every night with a silk scarf and satin bonnet.

So far, so good.

Traycee

Moisturize 1x daily
Shampoo 1x a week
Deep Condition 1x a week
TIGI Rockaholic Dirty Secret Dry Shampoo after workouts

prospurr4

1. Wash and rollerset, once every two weeks...or so.
2. Moisturize at bedtime with water/coconut oil or olive oil mixture and cover with silk scarf/satin bonnet.
3. Trim as needed, which has fallen waayyy off since I discovered "lead hairs."
4. Bun about 90% of the time.

IMFOCSD

Relax/Protein every 10-12 weeks, wash and condition/DC every week or 2(depending on my laziness), four big twists(held in place w/hair pins) while damp saturated with scurl and resprayed daily follwed by a stocking cap and wig everday...very simple.