How Long Do Your Braid Outs Last and Still Look...

Isis

...good? (long)

I had to travel recently and had to wear my hair for over 5 days without washing. Since I came to LHCF, I wash my relaxed hair every 3 days and I always air dry. This is the first time I’ve traveled since I started caring for my hair. Since I would be seeing people I haven’t seen in a long time, I chose to wear my hair down in a braid out, bringing my scrunchies just in case. Because I would be totally preoccupied during this trip with issues far more important than my hair, I just had to trust that my hair will look ok and hardly thought about it until I returned home. Lo and behold, my braid out was kickin every single day and even throughout the 5th day!!
shocked.gif
I received lots of attention and positive stares from both whites and blacks – male and female – in three different parts of the country. Friends, family and strangers really seemed to love my hairstyle, except for one older family member (black female) who told me I needed a relaxer so my hair can be straight!
laugh.gif
I had absolutely no time to fuss over my hair and it remained swingy, shiny, wavy and moisturized everyday with very little maintenance AND with a little humidity thrown in! I was so grateful!
clap.gif

My procedure, was to rollerset/airdry my hair overnight after the leave-in and oils, then when it was 95% dry, I braided it in two braids going down the back and one braid on each side so my braids were as close to the scalp as I can make it (I can’t cornrow yet) and braided in the direction I wanted my hair to fall. In this case, I kept my braids going towards and down the back. I left my freshly washed braids in for only 4 hours and they came out very bouncy and wavy. I moisturized my ends and wore it down after wearing a satin scarf over my loose hair for about 30 minutes. I discovered this trick just last week while experimenting with this style. Somehow, the satin scarf (silk works too) loosens the waves a little. Before I went to bed that night, I rebraided my hair dry, moisturized my ends, then I “wrapped” my braids crisscross low in the back, pinning them with Good Hair Day pins and tying it all down with my satin scarf (braid-wrapping is my other new trick). The next morning after only 4 hours of sleep in the braids, I let my hair down, picked apart the waves just a little with my fingers, moisturized the ends, rubbed some Aveda Anti-Humectant in my palms and very lightly ran it over my hair for shine and for any possible humidity. My waves were again loose and bouncy, not too tight, so my length could still be seen. It looked even better this 2nd day as I went to the airport. I did the same procedure every night during the trip with great results. On the night of the 4th day, I added just a little bit of Humectress along the length of all my braids before wrapping it. The entire 5th day my hair was soft, moisturized and still wavy and swingy! I was so amazed when I returned home late that evening. I’m still amazed! I washed my hair that night and now I’m doing it all over again, only 3 days this time though.
wink.gif

I had to share this with you ladies and I deeply appreciate learning and practicing your excellent braid out tips!
notworthy.gif

How long can you make your braid outs last and what do you do to keep them looking good?

Hi Isis
wave.gif
I do the same thing... (re-twist/braid every night) but I put products in every night to keep it moisturized (mine tend to dry out a lil bit during the day). I can definitely also make this style last a whole week. And for the last couple of days, I wear it in a wild 'n wavy high ponytail, which I also love!!
smile.gif

Twist-outs are gonna be my holy grail summer style!! I've decided that the loose air-dry wet 'n wavy look isn't really ALL THAT (
laugh.gif
) and my hair looks 100 times better in a twist-out, than just leaving it to dry loose.
look.gif
I will wear the wet 'n wavy once in a while (or in a pinch) but otherwise, I plan on doing the twist-outs all summer...
grin.gif

I can get mine to last about a week, but by the end of the 5th day, it's pretty much fuzz with texture.
laugh.gif

I use either spritz or spray gel for hold, and oil sheen when needed.
smile.gif
I usually pin my hair up during the day with a braid-out, and that's how I go to sleep with it pinned up.
smile.gif

I like my hair to look funky, so I don't want it to be perfect and neat all the time anyway.

Lindy,

How do you do a twist out? I've managed the braid out, as a test because I've never cornrowed my own hair before (my mother was like "why are you doing your hair like THAT", referring to the cornrows going back towards the nape of my neck). The next day, it was actually very nice looking, can't wait to do it again!

However, I can't manage to figure out the twist out (or maybe my hair is still too short
frown.gif

Thanks in advance!!

LaNecia

[ QUOTE ]
LaNecia said:
Lindy,

How do you do a twist out?

[/ QUOTE ]

LaNecia, I don't do my twist/braid-outs doing the "cornrow method" (because I don't know how!!!
smirk.gif
) I do them with single twists or braids... (you know, like just taking sections of hair and start twisting or braiding). Then I put rollers on the ends (grouping 2 or 3 twists together).

Hope that helps
smile.gif

BTW,
Your son is soooo handsome!!
smile.gif

I can get a good 2 weeks out of my braid-out style if I needed to and it would still look nice. However, after a week I feel it's time to wash out the Sta-Sof-Fro and Bouncy Creme and start fresh. I part my hair in four (I can't cornrow either)sections, moisturize each section with Sta-Sof-Fro in the tube, ISO Bouncy Creme, UBH Hair Lotion and seal the ends with Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil. I wrap the braids around my head and wear a skull cap to bed. The next a.m. I undo the braids, spray them with UBH Dew and I'm good to go. This braid-out style is very becoming to me.

Re: How Long Do Your Braid Outs Last and Still Loo

I do the cornrow method of the braidout.

I usually rebraid nightly and put a small rod at the end of each braid. Since it's been nice and mild outside the last couple days I've been doing a conditioner wash and towel blotting excess water until hair is damp, add products and braid...it dries overnight...no heat style that's funky and pretty at the same time.

By the way...I have short hair...it's layered cause I'm growing out a short haircut. The shortest hair is at the back of my head, it's approximately 2inches long, longest hair at the top approximately 7 inches, so this style works for short hair as well.

In the morning I undue the braids with my fingers, use a scarf as a headband, and pull it just behind my hairline, a little serum or oil for added shine finger tussle and Voila...gorgeous hair darling!
cool.gif

Re: How Long Do Your Braid Outs Last and Still Loo

yeah i did a braid out for the first time and it came out perfect. I just rebraid every night now: spray with water/oil mix and then put jojoba oil on ends as i braid. I braid about 14 plaits. then in the morning i take them down. Lovely! THis is my new style for this month. I needed a change from the bun since the weather has been nice lately.

[ QUOTE ]
Dutchess said:
I can get a good 2 weeks out of my braid-out style if I needed to and it would still look nice. However, after a week I feel it's time to wash out the Sta-Sof-Fro and Bouncy Creme and start fresh. I part my hair in four (I can't cornrow either)sections, moisturize each section with Sta-Sof-Fro in the tube, ISO Bouncy Creme, UBH Hair Lotion and seal the ends with Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil. I wrap the braids around my head and wear a skull cap to bed. The next a.m. I undo the braids, spray them with UBH Dew and I'm good to go. This braid-out style is very becoming to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, two weeks!! And you mentioned Dutchess, in other posts, that you are growing out your hair beautifully, quickly and LONG with this braidout style! I love that idea and I hope it works for me too! Your braid out advice is so easy to understand and encouraging.
smile.gif
I didn't put too many products during the trip, just in case it weighed my hair down too much or ruined the style (I wouldn't have had the time to wash it out and fix it). I still haven't found the Sta-Sof-Fro nor the skull caps in Sally's or any of the stores around me. I want to try it and may have to order online.

mine can last for up to 2 weeks but i usually wash it out after 1. all i do is sleep in a satin bonnet get up in the morning and fluff it up. i dont rebraid nightly like some people do but my curl definition stays strong. i am able sleep on it, i sometimes let steam hit it in the shower and about every other day i apply some type of moisturizer. that style is indestructable lol

mine can last for up to 2 weeks but i usually wash it out after 1. all i do is sleep in a satin bonnet get up in the morning and fluff it up. i dont rebraid nightly like some people do but my curl definition stays strong. i am able sleep on it, i sometimes let steam hit it in the shower and about every other day i apply some type of moisturizer. that style is indestructable lol

[ QUOTE ]
babyblue said:
all i do is sleep in a satin bonnet get up in the morning and fluff it up. i dont rebraid nightly like some people do but my curl definition stays strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe that's because you're natural??
confused.gif
My waves definitely flatten out if I sleep in them w/o re-twisting...
ohwell.gif

Your braid outs are so beautiful Babyblue! I also just love your french braid and other styles!
smile.gif
_

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
Your braid outs are so beautiful Babyblue! I also just love your french braid and other styles!
smile.gif
_

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Dutchess said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you still wearing your braidouts Dutchess?

Back