How to Maintain Length w/ Color?

Super_Hero_Girl

Hello Everyone,
I'm a long time lurker turned and former poster turned new poster. I have been without relaxers for 3 years, yet I get my hair dyed about 2-3 times a year at a salon. I believed that my hair was healthy for a while and I have taken care of it to the best of my knowledge. I decided to stretch my color out longer, due to funds and lazyness (I'm a broke college student) and I have noticed that in many spots my new growth is longer than the length of my colored hair, particularly in the back. I think if my hair grows this much in 6 months then it should be a lot longer. This has me worried. Three years worth of hair should be a lot longer than 6 months worth (I last colored in March). The dye is the only thing that I think could be wrong. I would like to keep my hair dyed and I would also like for it to grow longer and maintain the length. I know it's growing. I just can't keep the length. I don't have a strict regimine, but I condition wash my hair on a regular basis and keep it moisturized. I would appreciate any and all suggestions. Please help. I know maintaining length and color is possible. Anyone doing this? Anyone with advice. Thanks in advance. :)

***I just upload a pic to explain what I'm talking about. You can see the difference in the twist that I'm holding and a lot in the twist behind it. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/naturalstarlet/IM000951.jpg

Last edited:

wyldcurlz

bumping for some responses, i'm curious about how to maintain healthy, colored hair.

also, there was a thread called For Colored Girls or something like that a while ago, you might want to search the archives for that post.

Lovelylocs

hmmm... do u use a deep conditioner that is formulated for colortreated hair? Does ur hair feel dried out?

I have a relaxer and highlights and you must give your hair EXTRA care with a color. You need to get that post about For colored Girls...it's helping me save my strands. I do have my issues esp. now since I'm also dealing with chlorine, but my hair is also coming along. I got a blowout 2 days ago and everyone commented on how healthy my hair looks (thanks ladies). I personally deep condition 2x per week- 1st wash moisture, 2nd wash light protein. I moisturize everyday with s-curl or ubh moisturizer (when I wear my hair straight), I use aphogee every four weeks, a hot oil treatment weekly, and always wash with a mild poo. Also I relax with Bantu mild relaxer. I think you should use a mild relaxer if you have color. I know coloring relaxed hair is not the best thing, but I'm a color addict, but I've narrowed it down to getting highlights 1x per year and that's it.

Super_Hero_Girl

Thanks so much ladies for replying!!!!

@WyldCurlz, thats I will definately look for that thread when I leave this one.

@ Lovelylocs, no my deep conditioner is not formulated for colored hair. I use Lustrasilk Tea Tree Cholesterol for my deep condition and less often I use Redken Smooth Down Butter treat for very dry/unruly hair. Maybe I will look into a deep conditioner for colored hair if that will help. Thanks!

@ IntelligenceisBeautiful, I sounds like I should amp up the number of times that I condition wash but I don't want to make my hair too brittle. What do you mean by "1st wash moisture"? Do you mean using a moisturizing conditioner or something else? I will look into the aphogee line of products also. Thanks for your help.

Any other tips out there? I can use all of the advice that I can get and it is definatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

kitchen_tician

I have both colored and relaxed hair. I normally permanently color once per year. ITA, make sure you use a protein treatment and a good moisturizing conditioner. Aphoghee is too harsh for me, so I mostly use Nexxus Emergencee, Sally's ION Effective treatment or Affirm's 5 n 1.

Oil is also a "MUST" for me to prevent brittleness and breakage. I hope this helps.

I think using a proper hot oil treatment is a good thing too. Well at least for me, anyway. I got honey brown highlights over a month ago. I just make sure my hair doesn't get too too dry in between washings and salon appointments. I've had normal shedding, which might scare other people but doesn't faze me at all. I use NTM Pure oil strength therapy each time i wash. Seems to work okay. :look:

natstar

I agree that a mix between some protein and moisture may help. Also, I know w/ me there are times where my hair grows a little slower than normal, then there are phases where it grows on point ( I guess there are many factors behind this). I have dyed my natural hair and I can tell you that just keeping it moisturized daily (esp. the ends) and less manipulation may help out. Also, I am sorta cautious about the dye since it can be drying so I just do it once a year. Next year, I may opt for rinses. HTH

Super_Hero_Girl

@ kitchen_tician, thank you sooo much for the aphogee warning. I did some research and the threads scared me a bit. I don't think I will be trying that. It seems like it may be too strong and I don't want to take the risk. I've done some research on the nexxus and it sounds good so far. I am trying to do as much research as I can before I buy. I don't want to revert to my old pj ways. Your tips were very helpful. Thanks again!

@ brownhaired_bonanza, Thanks I will remember the hot oil treatments. What does NTM stand for? And thanks for your help.

@ Thanks for the info Natstar. I am already trying to minimalize the manipulation, but its so difficult to do. I like to change up styles and play in my hair too much. I am trying to break that habit.

Thank you again ladies for your help. I am taking all of this information in and I am going to use it because I want to heal my hair! :)

Tene

I get my hair highlighted every 3 to 4 months or most times longer than that and I'm relaxed. I do a lot of co washes and deep condition once a week. I also do a light protein treatment once a week.