How to: Relax Thick, Course, Hair

Aviah

Well I relax a friend's hair of mine, who is only SL but uses a whole tub of relaxer for each touchup. It is the ORS extra strength one we use, and there was barely enough for her hairline (I do that last and start at the crown). I always wash it out when she tells me that it starts to tingle, because I really do not want to burn her. However, it does not take as well as I want it to, she is slightly underprocessed, even with a LOT of smoothing. By the time I finish the whole head, the relaxer has been on the crown about 20-25 minutes.:perplexed
( and I do work quickly). I would rather her be underprocessed than burned.

So thick haired relaxers, how do you do it?

Last edited:

augiemoment

well for me i use super strength darK n lovely relaxer and even after 40minutes for application to rinse time, my hair is still undreprocessed.
I think the trick is to use a brush and make sure you dont apply to the scalp, also if you use a lye relaxer then that may be harsh to the scalp while leaving you underprocessed

~NanCeBoTwin~

My hair sucks up relaxer as well, I've been known to use 1 and 1/2 box relaxers, and that is during my old cycles of relaxing every 10-12 weeks.

I don't have anything else to add, whoever does my relaxer other than my stylist, I alway instruct them to start at the crown, just as you do with your friend, and I'd say we are washing it out in about 20-25 mins as well. Maybe you can try a different relaxer, I know as far as box relaxers go I love Precise Mild, but my staple relaxer is Affirm (I'll have to go search the net and update to tell you which Affirm I use)

~NanCeBoTwin~

well for me i use super strength darK n lovely relaxer and even after 40minutes for application to rinse time, my hair is still undreprocessed.
I think the trick is to use a brush and make sure you dont apply to the scalp, also if you use a lye relaxer then that may be harsh to the scalp while leaving you underprocessed

My hair laughs at this relaxer. I've tried it a few times in the past.

Kellum

Yeah definitely do the half and half method. This is the only way I can do my whole head and have it come out nice. If I were to do the whole head, I would be severely under processed.

augiemoment

My hair sucks up relaxer as well, I've been known to use 1 and 1/2 box relaxers, and that is during my old cycles of relaxing every 10-12 weeks.

I don't have anything else to add, whoever does my relaxer other than my stylist, I alway instruct them to start at the crown, just as you do with your friend, and I'd say we are washing it out in about 20-25 mins as well. Maybe you can try a different relaxer, I know as far as box relaxers go I love Precise Mild, but my staple relaxer is Affirm (I'll have to go search the net and update to tell you which Affirm I use)

so which relaxer do you use now, i really need to change my relaxer cos it also discolours my hair.

~NanCeBoTwin~

so which relaxer do you use now, i really need to change my relaxer cos it also discolours my hair.

I've been using Affirm Mild or Normal (I'll have to ask my stylist which one, I thought I'd be able to decifer looking at the tubs but they look the same). However, if I were to do a box relaxer today, I'd go with Silk Elements MegaSilk Olive Oil or a Precise Mild.

LiqueXX

I use Elasta QP regular and it takes 30 minutes total. I have tried the half and half method and it works.

Aviah

Thanks for that, it may be more time consuming to do 1/2 and 1/2 but it sounds like a good idea.

sunnieb

Old thread, but still a great topic! :)

Here's what I'd recommend:

*If you want to do the whole head at once, pre-sectioning is a must. With your sections already parted, you can move through the application step faster than ever. I'm finished applying the relaxer in about ten minutes, and I spend 10 minutes smoothing. The extra smoothing time ensures my newgrowth is fully processed.

Here's a pic of my pre-sectioned hair right before I'm about to apply the relaxer:

*Don't skimp on the relaxer - I use a little more than a tub and a half of of Design Essentials Sensitive Scalp. My old stylist only use 1 tub. :ohwell:

*Use a clarifying shampoo 3 days before relaxer day. This will remove product build up on the newgrowth and allow for better relaxer penetration.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
Kellum I actually want to try this. I'm worried while rinsing that the unrelaxed portions will get wet somehow. Do you have this problem?

Sent from my LG-MS690 using LG-MS690

sunnieb

pre_medicalrulz - nope, I just hop in the shower and start rinsing. The twists fall out on their own and I only have to do a little bit of un-twisting under the shower.

Sent from my Comet

kandegirl

My hair laughs at relaxer now too. I just gave up. I just tried Fabulaxer this weekend (it used to lay my hair DOWN as a child) but it still turned out w/ some texture. I just accept it now.