How to Wash Drawstring Pony Tail

Julia

Can anyone tell me how I am to care for my newly purchased yaki drawstring ponytail? Some sites say to use a conditioning shampoo, others say not use shampoo at all because it will dry out the hair? Also, how long can I expect that this thing will last? I purchased it to use as a protective hairstyle.

Thanks

auntybe

Julia:

When I wore pony tails I always washed them with a wig shampoo in a sink full of cold water and they turn out nice. I have a friend that used suave and hers looked okay.

Ennyaa

I'm so lazy (and cheap) that I get the $10 synthetic ones and after a few months if I don't like how it looks I can throw it away and get another one. lol Since I don't wear them that often (just a day or two between braids) mine tend to last a while.

adrienne0914

i wear mine all the time, and between all the activator and vaseline, they don't last very long. so i just toss and get a new one. i generally only pay $11 for them. i used to try washing, but they were never as fresh as when i first bought them. i know it's because of product buildup, but i'd rather use a short time and toss than to use less product.

adrienne

Julia

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Actually Adrienne I was so inspired when I saw your pictures (the step by step instructions of how you put it on). Ever since I found out how important wearing protective hairstyles are I cannot seem to get a french roll to look good. Therefore I was looking for a style that I could wear that would still be attractive and fun. When I saw your pictures, I decided to get one.

I live in Canada and I bought mine today for $45 Cdn. so I need to make it last for a while. Adrienne how often do you wear your pony tail (1-2 week?)