How would you achieve this style on natural hair? (Pic of Beyonce)

malachi74

• condition wash
  • box-braid it when it is almost dry with oil and some gel on each braid, making sure it is not too loose close to the scalp.
  • roll the ends with small sponge rollers til is is dry
  • take a blow dryer and blast each braid one-by one while stretching it with your hand.
  • run some paul mitchell foaming pomade or light pomade over each braid and undo.

malachi74

here's a pic of my hair in a twist-out that's similar but shorter than Beyonce's look. the twists were medium sized. with your length it should look more like hers.

[/quote]

Your hair is beautiful!

blackbarbie

I love this look on Bey and I have a similiar style in my album I created by doing a flat twistout. I would have like more bushiness with mine and would also have loved more definition on my ends.

I did 4 braids going to the back to create the look. After shampooing and DC'ing, I used Rusk Smoother's leave in, infusium 23 leave in and dabur vatika oil to seal. I flat twisted the hair until i got to the nape and then i plaited it. I put the really small magnetic rollers on the end. (tried the very small sponge ones before and the ends ended up frizzy) The Dabur Vatika Oil left my hair soft to the touch and also very shiny.

If this style can be created doing a regular twistout, I would be game for trying it!

SweetCaramel1

i braided my daughters hair and achieved a similar effect although it's 4 times shorter :lol:. i did 4 huge cornrows/braids to the back (2 on each side). braided while wet, air dried overnight.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Poohbear said:
Zzirvingj and melanizm, you both have beautiful natural hair. I also like Beyonce's weave. When I look at Beyonce's hair style in that pic, it reminds me of Bublnbrnsuga's braidout. You may want to check out her album and I believe she created a thread about her braidout a while back. ;)

I was just about to post my braidout pic! :lol: Thanks for the shout out, poohty poo!

la flaca

malachi74 said:
  • condition wash
  • box-braid it when it is almost dry with oil and some gel on each braid, making sure it is not too loose close to the scalp.
  • roll the ends with small sponge rollers til is is dry
  • take a blow dryer and blast each braid one-by one while stretching it with your hand.
  • run some paul mitchell foaming pomade or light pomade over each braid and undo.

What kind of oil/gel, my hair always look greasy or too oily when I add oil (lisa's hair elixir) I want to learn this so I could do it for summer time

blackbarbie

la flaca said:
What kind of oil/gel, my hair always look greasy or too oily when I add oil (lisa's hair elixir) I want to learn this so I could do it for summer time

laflaca, not sure what kind of oil malachi74 used, but I use the Dabur Vatika Oil and it's not too greasy or oily and it will leave your hair soft too.

OT: How did you make that beautiful bun in your siggy???? I don't mean to hijack the thread so you can PM me if you like.....TIA:)

BB

bravenewgirl87

****I do it everyday. All you need is twisty rod rollers. Use the 1/4'' rollers.

Do NOT use wrapping lotion; It makes your hair stiff. Some use Miss Jessie's or some
sort of curl-setting cream.

****Make sure you Deep condition and do it well!!!! If you don't, the curls will come out SUPER DRY and Frizzy. i like cholesterol, some people want extra protein in their so they use mayo, some use dominican products... up to you.I like cholesterol.

Also, use some sort of straightening balm or serum to counteract frizzing.

***As your hair is still wet, rub a little hair grease, leave-in lotion, w/e you use to moisturize your hair and keep the curls from drying out again. Also, this step is good for detangling. I like these products best:

Let the hair dry. Rub some oil/moisturizer , like jasmine oil or whatever it you use after you rollerset. Use a little bit more if the curls are too tight, and finger comb. Still too tight? Use a wide-tooth comb and stoke downward. The only problem with this 'do is having to stretch your shrinkage. Good luck!

B

Bublnbrnsuga

bravenewgirl87 said:
****I do it everyday. All you need is twisty rod rollers. Use the 1/4'' rollers.

Do NOT use wrapping lotion; It makes your hair stiff. Some use Miss Jessie's or some
sort of curl-setting cream.

****Make sure you Deep condition and do it well!!!! If you don't, the curls will come out SUPER DRY and Frizzy. i like cholesterol, some people want extra protein in their so they use mayo, some use dominican products... up to you.I like cholesterol.

Also, use some sort of straightening balm or serum to counteract frizzing.

***As your hair is still wet, rub a little hair grease, leave-in lotion, w/e you use to moisturize your hair and keep the curls from drying out again. Also, this step is good for detangling. I like these products best:

Let the hair dry. Rub some oil/moisturizer , like jasmine oil or whatever it you use after you rollerset. Use a little bit more if the curls are too tight, and finger comb. Still too tight? Use a wide-tooth comb and stoke downward. The only problem with this 'do is having to stretch your shrinkage. Good luck!

DANG GIRL! You are getting me all excited and stuff with this technique! Lemme go buy some hot dog rollers at Sally's...

neenzmj

I'm natural and I've been able to get this effect with twistouts, flexirods (although I get a smoother look with flexirods) and airdrying. I have a few pics in my fotki. NTM leave-in has really worked well for me when I wear my hair like this.