How YOU measure hair...just curious

NaturalRox

Hello ladies, I was just thinking about the way we measure our hair on this board. I know that there are two distinct versions: scalp to ends and hairline to ends. In the few occasions when I measured my hair, I always do it from scalp to ends because that's the actual length of the hair strand. However it puzzles me when I see people measure their hair from hairline to ends (in most cases). I know both methods can be used as a gauge to measure the difference in hair growth, but when looking at the ACTUAL length of the hair strand (if it were plucked from your head), the latter doesn't seem accurate to me (unless the person's hair is completely even). I've seen people say they have 25" for example and I automatically think root to end, but when I look at their album there's not 2 feet of hair from their scalp. And what happens if your hair layered, for instance? I'm just confused...can someone please elaborate on this method for me? Please share your thoughts, thanks!

Devi

My hair is not layered. It is in a blunt cut, so every hair falls at the same length. I measure it with a ruler from the crown of my head to the ends (where it is the longest).

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I didnt start measuring my hair until April. In March I had color-treated my hair brown so I could measure the new growth that was black.
If I want to measure the length of my hair, I would take a string from my hairline to my ends and measure that section of the string with a ruler.

Nonie

I prefer to measure like you NaturalRox, scalp to ends, coz it's the length of the strands that interests me.
I take several measurements from different parts of my head because my hair isn't all the same length. I return to those very parts for a follow-up measurement if I want to see the growth progress I'm making.

Nay

I take a tape measure and go from where my hair starts right above the forehead or scalp down to where the longest hair section ends down my back.

chicamorena

[ QUOTE ]
Nay said:
I take a tape measure and go from where my hair starts right above the forehead or scalp down to where the longest hair section ends down my back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too!

Me too!

BlackButterflyz

Don't waste the pretty...
I feel you on this one NaturalRox, cuz wouldn't you be misrepresenting your length if you measured from hairline (near forehead) to the ends (down your back) if you happened to have a HUGE dome-sized head
It seems you'd just be telling the world whether or not you have a massive head rather than a massive amount of hair...

I don't measure my hair (cuz it grows slooooow- no need to torture myself) but if I did, I'd definely measure from the scalp to the ends.

FLAME

what I do is this, I pluck a few strands from different parts of my head. I use a little scotch tape to hold the root to the table, and then go ahead and measure the length with a ruler. This to me shows the actual length of my hair section by section. as of right now, my hair is around 9" all the way around. Yeah, it's kind of jacked up. I have NOOOO idea how I'm going to even it out. I guess you can say I have layers, but to me I have who done it length hair..

NaturalRox

[ QUOTE ]
BlackButterflyz said:
I feel you on this one NaturalRox, cuz wouldn't you be misrepresenting your length if you measured from hairline (near forehead) to the ends (down your back) if you happened to have a HUGE dome-sized head
It seems you'd just be telling the world whether or not you have a massive head rather than a massive amount of hair...

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - BlackButterflyz, that's the discrepancy that I'm trying to clarify! My thought is how much would a TWA measure for instance? It just seems more realistic to measure from scalp to ends on various sections of your hair to get a true measurement. That's just my opinion though!

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
NaturalRox said:
[ QUOTE ]
BlackButterflyz said:

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - BlackButterflyz, that's the discrepancy that I'm trying to clarify! My thought is how much would a TWA measure for instance? It just seems more realistic to measure from scalp to ends on various sections of your hair to get a true measurement. That's just my opinion though!

[/ QUOTE ]

I do it by individual strands too. I never knew that people measured from their hairline to their ends until i came to this forum

Cowgirl

I measure by strand from scalp to end. I usually part my hair down the middle and take a strand or two near the part and measure that from scalp to end. Which is what I thought everyone else was doing. Thanks for correcting me ladies. For those who haven't seen my album lately, I started a new method for determing how my new growth is progressing. I marked up an old T-shirt with 1 inch measurements starting from the collar of the shirt. I will use this to see how I'm progressing.

skegeesmb

I do it both ways now. The shortest of my hair is 14" from scalp to ends. The longest is about 16". But it's easier to do it from hairline to ends because I don't have to take different measurements all the time. In fact if depending on the size of your head all you have to do is add 6" to your scalp to ends measurement and you'd get your hairline to ends measurement.