Hubby said most black women are wearing wigs or weaves

TRINITY05

Yesterday, my husband and I were out shopping and I noticed that most of the black women I came across were either wearing wigs or weaves. I made the comment to my husband and responded by saying Yes, most black women are wearing fake hair. This didn't set right with me because I have seen a lot of women on this board with beautiful hair that's not fake. When I transitioned, I was wearing wigs and weaves until I felt comfortable wearing my own natural hair. My husband seem to have a problem with me wearing fake hair but I explained to him that I was transitioning and until I figured out what styles I was comfortable with, I am going to wear fake hair:lol:.

Anyway, ladies how do you think men...particularly black men really feel about women who wear fake hair?

Mis007

Men that I know don't like the fake hair (or so they claim), but they will holla @ a girl with a 22 + inch weave down her back.

Tiye

Technically speaking if it's human hair it's not fake. It was just grown on someone else's head and if it wasn't exceptionally good looking hair they wouldn't be able to sell it or even donate it. Fake = synthetic. Also just because a woman wears a weave for length, fullness, protective style - whatever doesn't mean her own hair isn't beautiful.

Dposh167

most have said they don't care as long as it looks real. so there's no one answer. they all feel differently. i really don't care either way

hothair

If you look good they don't give an ish. Men use their lips to spout all sorts of rubbish but when it comes down to it, if the woman is hot (to them) all of that stuff goes out the window.

So for all of y'all wondering why your SOs/FHs/DHs keep checking out heavily made up women with weaves, its because they find her attractive, so put on some slap and style that hair if its what you want and don't worry about us on here, none of us will hold you at night.

lovegymnasts

Also just because a woman wears a weave for length, fullness, protective style - whatever doesn't mean her own hair isn't beautiful.

Most, if not all, of the women I know who wear weave or wigs are not doing it for a protective style. In fact, I doubt any of them know what a protective style is.
The hair boards do not represent the general population and we should not make it seem that they do.

Last edited:

Dposh167

The hair boards do not represent the general population and we should not make it seem that they are.

exactly. the women OUT there...and the women IN here i look at as two completely different worlds. The sooner you understand that...the less you will care what the people OUT there think

cabellera

Technically speaking if it's human hair it's not fake. It was just grown on someone else's head and if it wasn't exceptionally good looking hair they wouldn't be able to sell it or even donate it. Fake = synthetic. Also just because a woman wears a weave for length, fullness, protective style - whatever doesn't mean her own hair isn't beautiful.

Yeah right, I doubt if a man is gonna give a crap about where the hair comes from. Men are SIMPLE, did you grow it, no, if you have to "put it on" then in his mind it's a state of pretense, therefore fake. Most will not take the time for a woman to justify the realness of someone else's hair on her head. LOL!

It's best that if you wear wigs, weaves or extensions, to simply enjoy and play in your pretense, have fun and keep it moving. If you wear it well he's gonna chase you anyway. ;) So don't even worry 'bout it!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Evolving78

90% percent of the women i see on a daily basis wear wigs/weaves. i hardly see anyone with their own hair out. as far as them men i know, they don't care for it at all and will make it known.

weaveadiva

I agree with your husband.

If you look good they don't give an ish. Men use their lips to spout all sorts of rubbish but when it comes down to it, if the woman is hot (to them) all of that stuff goes out the window.

Most, if not all, of the women I know who wear weave or wigs are not doing it for a protective style. In fact, I doubt any of them know what a protective style is.
The hair boards do not represent the general population and we should not make it seem that they do.

^^^
This.

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
Most women I see do not wear fake hair. Many women that I see wear their hair, just in poor condition. But I must say that on my recent trip to Tampa most of the women did wear weves, and when I say most, I'm talking %90. At no point did I see a natural at any of the places that went. I was only there for 4 days so this does play a part in what I saw. With all of that being said, I have only met ONE man who cared.

kupenda

The guys I have dated didnt care. My current SO doesn't like it but he likes that I wear them to "keep my hair safe". <<<<<That's how I explained PS to him lol so thats what he says when I wear my half wig or a bun/pinned up style covered with weave. Guys t my job think it's real. Doofballs

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

My Friend

Because the majority of BW have worn weaves and wigs for so long, It became normal :yep: Thats why natural bw hair get so much attention because it's so rare.

DrC

Meh who cares how men feel :rofl:

My hair ( weave, bald, nappy, straight,) never stopped them from approaching me. :rofl:

Last edited:

reeko43

Unfortunately, there are so many crazy looking wig/weave situations out there that it is easy to understand why people would be turned off.

Harina

I find in general if you have a pretty face and/or a decent body, most men don't really care because at the end of the day, it's just hair. I think they see it as something that can be easily fixed.

Last edited:

brg240

the guys i know prefer real hair, so they say. But if they think it looks good it doesn't matter.

Oh and fake hair > buns.

Most bm I know complain about 'us' having 'fake hair' or not being able to grow it. But since I have apl + or any bw who has apl + hair she's an automatic 'exception' or 'mixed' -Sigh-

On the flipside, I know alot of male family members who gave me a hard time about wearing braid extensions when I grew out my hair...and yet their wives hair was/IS cbl and terribly damaged for YEARS! (is still is, but then want to give ME a lecture on hair)

naturalmanenyc

My husband notices fake hair more so now that he understands it. We were grocery shopping a few weeks ago and there was nothing but weave and wigs in the entire place. I was the only Black woman wearing my own hair. In fact, the reason he started to look around is because one woman had seemingly lost a track in the top of her head (or she did not finish the style before running off to work).

One thing he did say though is that men do not care about hair so long as it looks nice.

Lynnerie

People need to worry about themselves and women's husbands need to worry about their own wife's hair not some random woman out and about.

My SO doesn't care when I'm wiggin' it. He loves my short wig and I enjoy it also cause I know I'm not cutting my real hair. As for what other men think I don't care.

silenttullip

My guy doesn't care as long as its not long weave to where it looks fake to most people like waist length (kudos to the ladies here with that waist length hair I'm trying to get there) but he knows I rock wigs to grow mine to that length and he loves the wigs lol better than my kinky curly hair. My homeboys... They like whatever as long as it looks good. ROFLMAOOOOOO to the above... Seriously we all look at peoples hair in real life you can't help it. This one lady was with her husband and her wig color didn't go with her AT ALL it looked tacky as all get out and I didn't say a thing and we keep walking and there they are AGAIN... I said something to my guy when we got in the car to the tune of why didn't he say something to his wife and he was like "I see that all the time, many men know there would be an issue if they said anything." lol I'm sorry but if they don't want anyone looking they need to stay in the house and even then you got the mirror smh. There's a huge difference between worrying and noticing lol. I notice mcdonalds when I pass but trust and believe ronald doesn't have me lacking z's.

Last edited:

MzSwift

^^^Why you gotta bring McDonald's into this?

MzSwift<--- Certified McDonald's Fanatic (more like Fiend-Addict, LoL)

DrC

^^damn. Now I want some MacDonalds. *puts lacefront on a goes to Mickey D's*

yorkpatties

I couldn't give a damn what a man has to say about my hair. Or a woman for that matter. I wear a short wig (a la Nia Long) to work daily and my coworkers haven't the slightest clue. I am transitioning and my BF knows exactly what my plans are and he LOVES the way it looks on me. He has been noticing ladies in the street with natural hair lately, probably imagining how it would look on me. Before I was transitioning I would point out natural ladies to him and compliment their hairstyles. He's known I've wanted to transition for some time but he never had an issue when I wore braid extensions, weaves or my natural hair. As long as it looks good on me, he likes it.

candy626

Most guys I know say they hate fake hair, fake nails, too much makeup yet they salivate over women they see on TV (most of whom are usually wearing weaves, wigs, clip-ins, fake lashes, tons of makeup). So at the end of the day, if your hair/weave looks good, I don't think it really matters. Men are visual and simple-minded :grin:

Southernbella.

I think most black men tolerate it because, contrary to what the media would have us believe, most of them prefer black women. But deep down, I'm pretty sure 99% of them prefer real hair over fake hair.

Dh and I went to see Fela last week and four of the women directly in front of us all had on Kim K style wigs. He just looked at me and shook his head. :nono:

It's gotten ridiculous, it really has. When the majority of the black women within a 50 ft. radius are wearing wigs and weaves, there is a problem.

ellebelle88

I have had hair that was almost BSL. Due to trying to go natural, I had a major setback that took me to a little above shoulder length and now I wear sew-ins as I'm trying to grow my hair back. I never realized how much black women wear weaves until I got a sew-in and knew how to tell fake hair from real hair. I feel kinda bad but who am I to judge when I'm rocking a weave myself. So, I guess I get guys points...but most of them will still talk to a girl with weave.

keepithealthy

Men that I know don't like the fake hair (or so they claim), but they will holla @ a girl with a 22 + inch weave down her back.

I find in general if you have a pretty face and/or a decent body, most men don't really care because at the end of the day, it's just hair. I think they see it as something that can be easily fixed.

^^^^^^^^This is what I have found to be true^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dove56

I dont think its bad to protect or change your style, but all that horse hair looks a mess. We have the most fragile but try to do the most to it that's no good. Oh, and men will holla at anythig that vaugely resembles a lady if she has a pulse so there's no honor in some idiot gawking at a woman with a pound of weave.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using SGH-T959V