Hubby said most black women are wearing wigs or weaves

empressri

Please my man is the FIRST one cracking jokes on a jacked up weave, which is more often than not the case around these parts.

He's like the point of a weave is to NOT look like one. If you have one texture or color roots or hell both, and the total opposite of weave, what's the point?

emerald06

I think most black men tolerate it because, contrary to what the media would have us believe, most of them prefer black women. But deep down, I'm pretty sure 99% of them prefer real hair over fake hair.

Dh and I went to see Fela last week and four of the women directly in front of us all had on Kim K style wigs. He just looked at me and shook his head. :nono:

It's gotten ridiculous, it really has. When the majority of the black women within a 50 ft. radius are wearing wigs and weaves, there is a problem.

Some do not believe it, but men do follow the standard women set. :yep:

keelioness

I'm weaved up now.. I don't post weave pics. I dont know where you guys live but in NYC ..YES! Most women are wearing wigs, weaves, extentions of all lengths, shapes, and color.Whey do we get upset about the truth?

jenny87

I like to wear weaves and wigs because I don't like doing my own hair. :yup: I said it! It is more convenient than trying to figure out my natural hair. Most men I encounter swear they don't like weave, but they don't like the way natural hair looks--unless it looks like weave.

The other reason I wear weaves/wigs is because where I live, it is more professionally acceptable.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

indarican

I personally do not care if its a wig, weave, or my own hair... if I look good then its all good. I have asked my SO on many of occasion when i switch it up if he likes and he says it looks good... he says it looks natural. I have heard him say that the problem with the women and weaves is that 1) they look so bad and fake, like if you lit a match anywhere in the area the're hair would go up in a puff, and 2) they be flipping and tossing trying to make everyone believe thats all them.

PinkGirlFluff

I don't know about most men but I had one boyfriend that was not a fan of weaves AT ALL. But it is kinda annoying that men think that so many women are not rocking their real hair that even I'm getting weave checked with a fro. Come on son! That's ridiculous!

Dudes look at real hair now like it's a freaking unicorn. lmbo

But anyway, I don't think a guy really cares about weaves that much as long as it looks realistic. The one guy didn't like me wearing weaves but he sure did still stick with me like a fungus unfortunately. So glad that ship sailed. My husband thinks I'm fine no matter how I rock it. Even when I look like gumby sometimes in the morning.

lux10023

most men dont know that molly is rocking tracks aka "extensions"...mamita is rocking a full sewn in...ming may have in a few pieces here and there..and some sistahs maybe rocking something as well...

i dont think its a blk woman thing at all...

but as some have mentioned a dude will look at kim k and be like yeah--when shes rocking malaysian 24 inches of hair...cmon son..dudes kill me...lol

diadall

I think it depends on the man. I think men prefer if your hair is yours but at the end of the day it doesn't bother some.

As far as your husband saying that he may have said it to let you know he was okay with it since you are not exposing your real hair.

dicapr

Most me I know don't like fake hair. It's not a deal breaker but it is not a preference. Alot of times they wonder how much they find attractive about a women is really hers or does it come from the store.

CurlyMoo

Most men want real hair and natural beauty. Full Stop!

Men are visual and will like attractive put together well women. Does not mean they accept it being fake. Believe me, the women they salivate over with the 22"+ weave will get the NO FAKE speech too if the opportunity present itself.

Just because I may salivate when I see a man with a big package does not mean I accept that he has a sock in his briefs. :look:

RegaLady

Well I had this convo with Dh and he dispises weave. He CANNOT stand it. He has tolerated it from me but all in all he prefers real hair and not only real hair but natural hair. He thinks its funny that the style most of these women are rocking do not compliment their features. I asked if the weave was fooling anyone, he said "nope".

Interesting enough I had a friend whose husband also told her she wasn't fooling anyone with her weave and that he prefered her real hair, and once she it out, he couldn't get enough of her.

I think men tolerate it, but all in all, they much prefer real(natural) hair. It has become a rarity to see black women rock real not to mention natural hair.

StarScream35

Yeah I see lots of sistas wearing weaves and nothing else. Men say they hate it and I believe them but they don't have much of a choice do they? What are they gonna do? Go on strike and stop dating sistas until the sistas stop with the weave? I have a co-worker that wears nothing but weaves and it looks a mess! On a much more sad note, it breaks my heart that black women are making these East Indians and Koreans rich by buying all their crap and these people think we are the scum of the earth and laugh at us. Nowadays if a black woman wears her real hair and it's long she's accused of wearing weaves by blacks, whites, Asians you name it!
Me? I won't wear it. I find a way to make my real hair work!

RocStar

jenny87

I like to wear weaves and wigs because I don't like doing my own hair. :yup: I said it! It is more convenient than trying to figure out my natural hair. Most men I encounter swear they don't like weave, but they don't like the way natural hair looks--unless it looks like weave.

The other reason I wear weaves/wigs is because where I live, it is more professionally acceptable.

What do you mean by this? Are you saying wigs/weaves are more professionally acceptable than real hair (any style, straight, curly, etc.) or are you saying wigs/weaves are more professionally accepted than natural hair?

Also, it is more professionally acceptable where you live or where you work?

Jewell

I think your husband just made a statement based on what he was seeing at the time, which is not wrong. But I would say that it definitely depends on the REGION and PLACE you all live in. Natural hair is more popular in some areas than others, just as weaves and off the wall colors are more popular in places like ATL and Dallas than in more conservative areas.

I see it all here...but this is quite a liberal state with all nationalities. I have made a point to really observe the hair of women here when I first came, and I noticed that their hair had more of a light swing and body (relaxed and natural) than back home in SC where the styles are heavy, greasy, weave-laden, and GHETTO (waterfall ponytails with too much Pump It Up and rhinestones).:nono:

This is not a slight against weaves and wigs because I love wigs...and I sometimes wear them. But I think that you can't accurately judge the ENTIRE population of Black women in America and how they wear their hair unless you line all of us up and take an accurate assessment of the hair!!:yep:

Personally, I grew up wearing nothing but my own hair relaxed, and between SL and MBL. I had no reason to rock weaves and wigs because I knew how to take care of my own hair, as did my mother (and I had enough length to work with). A track of weave didn't touch my hair until I was 17, and that was only briefly added for a FASHION SHOW!

I haven't had any weave in since then (going on 11 yrs)...and recently I went back to wearing my own hair instead of the wigs 8 mos out of the year (however thick and kinky, at times hard to style my hair is), because I prefer it. People don't weave-check me and maybe that is because I don't play that.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

knt1229

I agree with your hubby most black women do wear wigs/weaves even the ladies on the hairboards wear them. Sure the hairboard ladies call it protective styling but most people don't know that they just see another black woman in a weave/wig. No point in questioning the man for stating what he sees on the daily.

Solitude

Well...first black women need to stop the weave dependency for their own sake first, out of pride for themselves because weaves and wigs basically do not look good. I see weaves & wigs on black women 95% of the time. It's like an epidemic and all of them look terrible. Most of my close friends wear their real hair, but that is a reflection of me surrounding myself with people who are like-minded.

On the topic of men, the men that I date prefer real hair and they mean it. They do not date women who wear fake hair. One of my guy friends said he would never marry a woman with a "weave habit." Black men accept it for the most part because they have no choice...look how prevalent it is.

As far as protective styling, if it takes wearing a weave or wig for years to grow very long hair, I will never have very long hair then.

All races wear weave, but black women are the ones who wear crazy unnatural looking wigs and weaves - silky straight Brazilian hair that looks unrealistic, lacefront glued Planet of the Apes hairlines, and I'm sorry, but these braids are getting out of line, too. My son asked me why girls are wearing YARN as hair. I brushed him off because I could not for the life of me explain why a person would wear yarn as her hair, but when I went to his school and saw the little girls, I realized that yarn braids look a mess. They do not even resemble hair to me at all. I mean, now we're putting plastic, yarn, wool, other people's hair, and who knows what else in our heads?

It's getting to be too much when people are indignant and no longer give a care about how we appear to the world. I understand the whole "it's my hair" comment because I say the same thing about being relaxed, but I now see how the actions of some affect black women as a whole.

WhipEffectz1

Well...first black women need to stop the weave dependency for their own sake first, out of pride for themselves because weaves and wigs basically do not look good. I see weaves & wigs on black women 95% of the time. It's like an epidemic and all of them look terrible. Most of my close friends wear their real hair, but that is a reflection of me surrounding myself with people who are like-minded.

On the topic of men, the men that I date prefer real hair and they mean it. They do not date women who wear fake hair. One of my guy friends said he would never marry a woman with a "weave habit." Black men accept it for the most part because they have no choice...look how prevalent it is.

As far as protective styling, if it takes wearing a weave or wig for years to grow very long hair, I will never have very long hair then.

All races wear weave, but black women are the ones who wear crazy unnatural looking wigs and weaves - silky straight Brazilian hair that looks unrealistic, lacefront glued Planet of the Apes hairlines, and I'm sorry, but these braids are getting out of line, too. My son asked me why girls are wearing YARN as hair. I brushed him off because I could not for the life of me explain why a person would wear yarn as her hair, but when I went to his school and saw the little girls, I realized that yarn braids look a mess. They do not even resemble hair to me at all. I mean, now we're putting plastic, yarn, wool, other people's hair, and who knows what else in our heads?

It's getting to be too much when people are indignant and no longer give a care about how we appear to the world. I understand the whole "it's my hair" comment because I say the same thing about being relaxed, but I now see how the actions of some affect black women as a whole.

:lachen: :lachen: What in the world??!!! :lachen: :lachen:

Solitude

^^^ Yeah, yarn braids are very popular and I'm sure I have offended some, but they just look silly to me. My child got in trouble for asking this little girl why she had yarn in her hair...some of the girls are rocking different colors, too. I'm just like...okay so we've gone beyond hair and synthetic extensions to knitting material and textiles? C'mon, now... The whole discussion about men just reminded me of my son. As a young boy, he already dislikes weave.

Thankfully, the Planet of the Apes hairlines are less common these days, but every now and then, one still pops up and scares the bejesus out of me.