HUH???

soslychic

Q. I live in Florida and our weather is hot and humid. My hair swells every time I step outside the door. Will conditioning my hair more often or longer help it withstand the humidity.
A. Hair does not swell from humidity unless the relaxer was done improperly. (It droops from humidity). You should see a stylist

FROM MOTIONS.COM IS THIS TRUE?? WHY DOES EVERYONE SAY THAT THEIR HAIR PUFFS INTO A FRO?

Xtal

you got me going "huh?" too!!!

I'm guessing that they mean that your hair will only swell if you were underprocessed.
Most women either can't or choose not to relax bone straight. Like, if you airdry your hair, it won't lay straight like type 1 hair.
I think humidity undoes any thermal processing you had done, like a flat iron blow dryer, or a curling iron, or maybe even a roller set and has nothing to
do with how well your hair was relaxed, because your degree of relaxation was your choice.

I can't answer your question, those are just my thoughts/off-the-cuff opinions.

tekmommie

I totally agree with the article. I spent the whole summer there last year and my hair did not swell, however it did droop (Same thing happened to my cousins hair).

I did find this interesting, from their site..I thought covered meant more protection...well maybe they mean if it is covered with something other than a silky material, then I might understand. They should be more specific with their answers!

Q. I wear a wig everyday, is it still necessary that I condition my natural hair as normal or can I get away with doing it less often.
A. If your hair is covered constantly, it is weaker that if it were not covered. Condition it frequently

cutebajangirl

I agree with the article my friends have been like huh for years when I tell them I don't get frizzy from the humidity but limp.

tekmommie

No my hair is texturized. I t-up myself (except the last two, my guy did them) it takes us 11 mins from start to rinse.

If you mean bone straight when wet, that equals overprocessed hair. After a relaxer is done properly there should be some wave/curl pattern to it. (Not sure if thats what you meant, if not please disregard)

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I couldn't keep any curls in humid weather they would just droop down. Relaxed hair should not swell in humid weather. I am in transition so my hair puffs in humidity now.

soslychic

So what styles are best in the summer? I thought curls were because the straight styles people said would just frizz up. but now you're sayin' that curls will droop? i'm confused!! lol. i seriously don't wanna wear a bun or anything all summer. is there any way to get a good style with your hair down in summer?

tekmommie

Basically if your hair is processed right you could wrap it at night, comb in the morning and it should maintain all day.

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
My hair is basically underprocessed (texturized) and I don't have a problem with humidity. Humidity is good. I wear it curly a lot.

sweetcocoa

My hair frizzes regardless....the curls droop and there is frizz(that is what I call 'swelling). The only thing that seems to help me is keeping the ends clipped. Since I trimmed my hair 2 weeks ago when I mildly(under processed) my hair I have drooping curls...but minimum frizz. I also use a pomade on my hair. When it's really hot and humid though the last thing I'm thinking about is wearing my hair down over the back of my neck. I go for cooling updos...

AngieK

<font color="brown">Tekmommie is right. If your hair is properly relaxed and set, humidity will cause your hair to droop, not frizz.

I am a Florida native and I live in Fort Myers, FL. I moved here a few years ago from West Palm Beach and I can tell you that it is far more humid here on the gulf coast than on the east coast. Anyway, when I first moved here, I had a problem with my hair drooping and just looking blah. My hair would only get poofy near the roots (new growth). Anyway, I ended up changing the type of styles that I wear, as well as the products that I use to set my hair.

For instance, we went to a fireworks display tonight, but my hair sill looks good despite the humidity. I set my hair last night on smaller rollers than normal (purple magnetics instead of gray). I also used a straightening lotion instead of my normal setting lotion (it helps to pull my roots straighter and locks out humidity). When the set was dry, I did a doobie wrap. With the smaller rollers and the thicker straightening cream, my hair had A LOT of volume. HOWEVER, when I uwrapped it and styled it today, it had flattened some and it looked great. As the day wore on, the fullness started to droop, but my hair fell nicely and kept its shape (especially with my recently trimmed ends). It was still shiny and straight (no frizz), but not as full. Tonight, I wrapped it again and will be ready for tomorrow. Even a doobie wrap done with huge rollers should fare okay as long a the hair is COMPLETELY dry when you take down the rollers to wrap it.

Another style to consider is spiral curls. These can be done with flexi-rods, perm rods, or small magnetic rollers. The good thing about this style is that they look good, even as they fall and loosen. The trick is to use a good setting lotion/gel or styling cream, and to keep the rollers in until thoroughly dry. If you take the rollers out before they are fully dry, you may experience friz, or curls that fizzle out before they should.

Even when I air dry, I never have any type of problem with frizziness - - other than the fact that my new growth can get "poofy" in very humid weather. I simply tie my hair down at night and it seems to flatten out - - especially if I use a little relaxing balm prior to drying. With braid-outs, the poofiness is not very noticeable.

I know each head of hair will respond differently, but I hope some of this helps.

AngieK</font>