Please Help Me! Coming up: First time getting hair straightened as a natural

PaperClip

So I'm getting my hair straightened for my birthday in a couple of weeks.

I have an appointment at an Aveda concept salon. The stylist says she can round brush blow dry my 4a/b fine, thin, dense natural hair. I'm supposed to get a trim plus deep conditioning. The stylist says she does not use hot tools (hot combs, flat irons, etc.) This will run about $80.

Another option is for me to get a Dominican blowout? There's a place in Detroit that I can go to.... I understand that this will cost much less than $80.

Also., today I called another salon that was recommended to me and spoke to the one guy who does Black hair and he uses a pressing comb, flat iron, etc. I was not impressed with his customer rapport. He sounded busy. He said that he doesn't do the round brush technique because he would have to go back over the hair with a flat iron because the rain and/or humidity would make the hair swell.

So what should I do? Which place should I got to? Can a round brush blow dry really get my hair straight? I would like the style to last at least a week. I do take care of my hair at home in terms of wrapping it at night, etc. Also, I do want my natural coils/curls to come back.... My hair is resilient...it can take some heat.

Thanks for your help!

**Glamourlicious**

I weish I could help...i have the same dilemna. Do you think the blow out would hold if a thermal pray was used with the blow dryer?

I wish that I could help as well:sad: heat scares me.
Have you known someone who has had their hair done at the Aveda salon whose hair held up well with their technique?
I'd stay away from the pressing comb :nono:, that's just me though.
Sorry.
I don't know how you regularly wear your hair but is there a different natural style that you could wear for your birthday?

NewYorkgyrl

I don't have any advise for you because I had a bad experience a month ago when I straightened my natural hair for the first time in a year.

I also have very fine hair. She did not use a flat iron. All she did was blow dry it using a paddle brush and then she curled it with a marcel iron (and she did it quick so that it wouldn't burn)

Result: I have a lot of straight hairs that will NOT revert. The bad part is the back of my hair is the finest and one section is now straight.

I am so against straightening MY hair. So it would not be wise of me to give any advise right now cause I am still angry about it.

GOOD LUCK!

TCatt86

I wish I could help, but I'm not fully natural and my hair is pretty coarse so a flat iron/hot comb have to be used. I just wonder if the round brush on wet hair will be alot of pulling. Idk. Good luck though.

czyfaith77

So I'm getting my hair straightened for my birthday in a couple of weeks.

I have an appointment at an Aveda concept salon. The stylist says she can round brush blow dry my 4a/b fine, thin, dense natural hair. I'm supposed to get a trim plus deep conditioning. The stylist says she does not use hot tools (hot combs, flat irons, etc.) This will run about $80.

Another option is for me to get a Dominican blowout? There's a place in Detroit that I can go to.... I understand that this will cost much less than $80.

Also., today I called another salon that was recommended to me and spoke to the one guy who does Black hair and he uses a pressing comb, flat iron, etc. I was not impressed with his customer rapport. He sounded busy. He said that he doesn't do the round brush technique because he would have to go back over the hair with a flat iron because the rain and/or humidity would make the hair swell.

So what should I do? Which place should I got to? Can a round brush blow dry really get my hair straight? I would like the style to last at least a week. I do take care of my hair at home in terms of wrapping it at night, etc. Also, I do want my natural coils/curls to come back.... My hair is resilient...it can take some heat.

Thanks for your help!

JMHO, but I would opt for the Dominican Blowout if the salon is reputable and they stylist really know what he/she is doing.

glamazon386

RR, I think we have a similar hair type. $80? That's way too much, IMO. I usually get my hair blowdried with a paddle brush and then flat ironed. It'll stay until I wash it out. I usually wash it out after a week and a half but one of my gfs has gone up to 3 weeks with no reversion. I went to the Dominican Salon and got it blowdried with the roundbrush and then flat ironed for the first time a few weeks ago for thanksgiving and it was a lot straighter than with just the blowdryer. I didn't even realize it could get any straighter because my stylist used to do such a good job. But I felt more comfortable with him.

The Dominicans did a good job as well. They tried to roller set (after I expressed that was what I wanted them to do) my hair but couldn't and ended up blowing straight from wet hair. I expressed to them that I didn't want too much heat on my hair and it wasn't hot when she did it. I didn't smell any burnt hair or see smoke. I had endured worse heat at the Dom Salon with my relaxed hair. But the whole time I was paranoid about it because they are known to use excessive heat. My hair stayed straight until I washed it out a week later. It actually started looking better as the days went on but I couldn't take it anymore and washed it out.

The Dominican Salon charged me $50 plus another $10 for a trim and DC. My hairdresser used to charge me $40 with everything included. He was at a white salon. It wasn't that much of a difference. I wouldn't pay $80 though. I think the important thing is that you express your concerns to the stylist and go with the one you feel most comfortable with. Any heat device that is used improperly could potentially burn your hair to where it won't revert so it's really in the hands of the stylist. You have to make sure they know what they're doing.

ETA: As far as the hot comb goes, people have mixed feelings about it. There are some ladies on this board who say that's the best way to go. That's what works best for their hair. My hair blow dries pretty straight on it's own. Personally, I would not let a hot comb get anywhere near my head. :nono:

I asked my stylist about it and he said that ceramic flat irons are the safer way to go. He said the problem with hot combs and marcels (that go in the stove) is that there is no temperature gauge so you can't control how hot the iron is getting. The longer you are using it, the hotter it gets at time goes on. Which could cause your hair to be burned. He also said that a lot of time hair doesn't revert with hot combs sometimes because those little teeth are pulling the hair straight. And that they take the hair too straight to where you can't do anything else with it.

Last edited:

Country gal

My 2 cents. I would get it hot combed. My signature pic is of a recent salon visit. I have flatironed my hair at home myself and I could not get it as straight. My hair has held up really well despite a night of dancing. I would go to a stylist that specializes in natural hair and knows how to work a hot comb. My hair feels silky and the ends are great.

Nola Darling

I got my 4B natural thick hair blown out and it came out pretty straight. It was a TON of heat though. I think it was damaging.

The flat iron gets my hair the straightest and more silky. Just be careful and only do it at max once per month. I was addicted to it and had to cut off an inch the other day:sad:

OrangeMoon

Hi RelaxerRehab. :hug2: I would say go to the salon and observe if at all possible. Also, call the lady back at the Aveda Salon and ask her if you can come in a talk to her about the straightening technique, products used and not destroying your natural curl pattern. I'm not sure about the Dominican's but Candice C went to Harlett's, I her review/experience is posted in the Salon Review Section and/or just PM her and to get her feed back. Skip that dude that seemed like he was too busy to talk to he has not customer service skills especially to address concerns about his service and your hair. Oh yes, the round brush will get you hair straight someone posted a tutorial on blow drying hair with a round brush/blow dryer and the model was natural.

glamazon386

My 2 cents. I would get it hot combed. My signature pic is of a recent salon visit. I have flatironed my hair at home myself and I could not get it as straight. My hair has held up really well despite a night of dancing. I would go to a stylist that specializes in natural hair and knows how to work a hot comb. My hair feels silky and the ends are great.

Country Gal are you sure its going to revert when you wash it? I was paranoid that whole week after I went to the Dominican Salon even though I knew she didn't use excessive heat when she blew it out. This board can make you paranoid about damage. Before coming here I would have never thought twice about it.

PaperClip

RR, I think we have a similar hair type. $80? That's way too much, IMO. I usually get my hair blowdried with a paddle brush and then flat ironed. It'll stay until I wash it out. I usually wash it out after a week and a half but one of my gfs has gone up to 3 weeks with no reversion. I went to the Dominican Salon and got it blowdried with the roundbrush and then flat ironed for the first time a few weeks ago for thanksgiving and it was a lot straighter than with just the blowdryer. I didn't even realize it could get any straighter because my stylist used to do such a good job. But I felt more comfortable with him.

The Dominicans did a good job as well. They tried to roller set (after I expressed that was what I wanted them to do) my hair but couldn't and ended up blowing straight from wet hair. I expressed to them that I didn't want too much heat on my hair and it wasn't hot when she did it. I didn't smell any burnt hair or see smoke. I had endured worse heat at the Dom Salon with my relaxed hair. But the whole time I was paranoid about it because they are known to use excessive heat. My hair stayed straight until I washed it out a week later. It actually started looking better as the days went on but I couldn't take it anymore and washed it out.

The Dominican Salon charged me $50 plus another $10 for a trim and DC. My hairdresser used to charge me $40 with everything included. He was at a white salon. It wasn't that much of a difference. I wouldn't pay $80 though. I think the important thing is that you express your concerns to the stylist and go with the one you feel most comfortable with.

ETA: As far as the hot comb goes, people have mixed feelings about it. There are some ladies on this board who say that's the best way to go. That's what works best for their hair. My hair blow dries pretty straight on it's on. Personally, I would not let a hot comb get anywhere near my head. :nono:

I asked my stylist about it and he said that ceramic flat irons are the safer way to go. He said the problem with hot combs and marcels (that go in the stove) is that there is no temperature gauge so you can't control how hot the iron is getting. The longer you are using it, the hotter it gets at time goes on. Which could cause your hair to be burned. He also said that a lot of time hair doesn't revert with hot combs sometimes because those little teeth are pulling the hair straight. And that they take the hair too straight to where you can't do anything else with it.

Thanks, all for your responses....

Bmore, did your texture "survive", meaning did your curls come back ok?

Looks like I'm leaning toward going to the Dominican salon from what is being said here. I don't mind paying for a good DC and trim and blow out, and it's good to hear that yours lasted.

I'm not sure if I want a roller set than a blow out.... Can I let them decide that? I want it nice and straight with either a flip up or bump down, depending on the length, which is another reason I want to blow it out...to see how long it is.

Comfort level? The girl at the Aveda salon was nice and she sounded knowledgeable. I just called the Dominican place and it was fine. Plus I looked the salon up online and read some testimonials. Sounded like all were pleased with their Dominican salon visit.

I definitely want to avoid hot combs, and the flat iron too, if possible. But if they have to do a quick flat iron, that's ok.

I think what I will do next is stop by the Dominican salon and talk to them in person and I can watch them on somebody else's hair....

**Glamourlicious**

I too have had a round brush blow dry and flat iron. My hair was SILKY straight and it STAYED for 2 weeks...only messed up when I washed it. I am transitioning but i have SEVERAL inches of natural hair (more than relaxed) and all of my curls came back. I also did not see any smoke when she was blow drying. I was going to get it pressed but now that I have had both...I think I prefer the round brush blow dry and flat iron. My hair had so much body.

clever

hey girl!
I think you should go with the aveda salon and here's why
-you know she can deal with your hair type
-she wasn't rude when consulting you
-she doesn't use hot tools

I wouldn't risk the other guy because
-it sounds like he uses it excessive heat
-he wasn't patient when dealing with you even over the phone.That makes me think he won't be caring and gentle with your tresses.

When you go,make sure you ask that a good heat protection be used.(carry your own in your bag for back up.I LOVE nexxus heat protexx for natural hair.)

I'm sure if her technique is on point,she will be able to get your hair straight.Don't compromise the health of your hair over money.You don't want any burnt hair from someone who donesn't know what they are doing.

Let us know what you decide

glamazon386

Thanks, all for your responses....

Bmore, did your texture "survive", meaning did your curls come back ok?

Looks like I'm leaning toward going to the Dominican salon from what is being said here. I don't mind paying for a good DC and trim and blow out, and it's good to hear that yours lasted.

I'm not sure if I want a roller set than a blow out.... Can I let them decide that? I want it nice and straight with either a flip up or bump down, depending on the length, which is another reason I want to blow it out...to see how long it is.

Comfort level? The girl at the Aveda salon was nice and she sounded knowledgeable. I just called the Dominican place and it was fine. Plus I looked the salon up online and read some testimonials. Sounded like all were pleased with their Dominican salon visit.

I definitely want to avoid hot combs, and the flat iron too, if possible. But if they have to do a quick flat iron, that's ok.

I think what I will do next is stop by the Dominican salon and talk to them in person and I can watch them on somebody else's hair....

Yeah, my texture reverted fine. I just always make sure I DC before and after. I don't think you're going to be able to get away from the flat iron no matter which method you choose. When I went to the Dominican Salon, they weren't able to roller set my hair. The thing is, I think they just don't know how to do it. I've been able to rollerset my hair at home but I had to use a heavier product almost like a gel consistency. Whatever they use was not heavy enough and my hair even though it was soaking wet would not even stick to the roller. I knew that most times with naturals they went straight to the blow drying but I talked to the girl when I first got there and even though I explicitly told her I wanted my hair rollerset first, but we ended up having to change the plan. So after my hair was blowdried with the roundbrush, they still had to do over with the flat iron.

All things considered, I would prefer to go to my stylist that blow dries with a paddle brush and then flat irons. I know my hair is going to be taken care of with him. I don't have to worry about it not reverting. I know what kind of products he uses and what his practices are. He had disappeared on me for a while a few months ago but I recently found him again. He opened his own shop so I'll be returning to him. My hair turned out nice at the Dominican Salon but I don't think I'll go back unless it's a last minute thing and I can't get an appt with my stylist.

I agree with the other ladies who said to go and observe. If you see smoke or smell hair burning they are burning the hair. If the lady at the Aveda salon isn't using hot tools how is she going to get your hair straight? Some level of heat is going to have to be used. And I still think $80 is ridiculous. All it is, is a blow dry and flat iron. And that's probably double what they charge their non black clients. I mean they're going to charge more regardless but it shouldn't be that much more. I was a little miffed that the Dominican Salon charged me double the wash and set price but it was only $10 more than my regular stylist so it wasn't that bad. :ohwell: Even at a typical AA salon, it shouldn't cost you more than about $55-$60 for a press and curl. You're probably going to need a trim too to make sure your ends are smooth so you should factor that in too.

Last edited:

jwhitley6

I recommend you come to my house and let me do it for you...oh, nevermind, you're in Detroit. :look: Seriously, though...do you know any naturals who get there hair pressed? Go to the salon with them and see how their hair shrinks when washed and how much heat/tension is used when flat ironing or hot combing. I have the worst luck at salons and usually end up with damaged hair to some degree, unless I personally know someone who uses a particular stylist.

PaperClip

Yeah, my texture reverted fine. I just always make sure I DC before and after. I don't think you're going to be able to get away from the flat iron no matter which method you choose. When I went to the Dominican Salon, they weren't able to roller set my hair. The thing is, I think they just don't know how to do it. I've been able to rollerset my hair at home but I had to use a heavier product almost like a gel consistency. Whatever they use was not heavy enough and my hair even though it was soaking wet would not even stick to the roller. I knew that most times with naturals they went straight to the blow drying but I talked to the girl when I first got there and even though I explicitly told her I wanted my hair rollerset first, but we ended up having to change the plan. So after my hair was blowdried with the roundbrush, they still had to do over with the flat iron.

All things considered, I would prefer to go to my stylist that blow dries with a paddle brush and then flat irons. I know my hair is going to be taken care of with him. I don't have to worry about it not reverting. I know what kind of products he uses and what his practices are. He had disappeared on me for a while a few months ago but I recently found him again. He opened his own shop so I'll be returning to him. My hair turned out nice at the Dominican Salon but I don't think I'll go back unless it's a last minute thing and I can't get an appt with my stylist.

When I had my relaxer, that's how my old stylist used to do my hair (paddle brush blow dry then flat irons). My hair looked SOOOO PRETTY. But now that it's natural, I wasn't sure if my old stylist could get the same result. She's VERY good. I would recommend her to anyone. I thought about checking in with her but like somebody else said, I'd really appreciate a stylist that is well knowledgeable about natural hair and getting away from the stereotypical products that "worked" on relaxed hair but my natural hair is SO DIFFERENT from my relaxed hair.... Sigh....

ElleDoll, yes, the Aveda girl was nice and knowledgeable. I taked to her in person. After reading a couple of threads about round brushes, I'm a little nervous about the Aveda round brush that the girl showed me. I don't want my hair ripped or torn out! Yikes! LOL! I don't know if she can achieve what the Dominican salon sounds like it can do, you know? The Aveda salon is MUCH closer to me.... Sigh....

What. to. do.?

PaperClip

I recommend you come to my house and let me do it for you...oh, nevermind, you're in Detroit. :look: Seriously, though...do you know any naturals who get there hair pressed? Go to the salon with them and see how their hair shrinks when washed and how much heat/tension is used when flat ironing or hot combing. I have the worst luck at salons and usually end up with damaged hair to some degree, unless I personally know someone who uses a particular stylist.

LOL! I'm willing to go to Cali to get my hair done! LOL!

This is Detroit, the HAIR CAPITAL OF THE WORLD!:ohwell: rather the SHELLACKED capital! I don't know any folk with natural hair, from what I can tell. Oh wait, one of my classmates is transitioning. She hasn't gotten her hair straightened yet....

glamazon386

When I had my relaxer, that's how my old stylist used to do my hair (paddle brush blow dry then flat irons). My hair looked SOOOO PRETTY. But now that it's natural, I wasn't sure if my old stylist could get the same result. She's VERY good. I would recommend her to anyone. I thought about checking in with her but like somebody else said, I'd really appreciate a stylist that is well knowledgeable about natural hair and getting away from the stereotypical products that "worked" on relaxed hair but my natural hair is SO DIFFERENT from my relaxed hair.... Sigh....

What. to. do.?

RR, at least talk to your old stylist. She might be more knowledgeable than you think. Believe it or not, the majority of my stylist's clients are relaxed. But I was recommended to him by one of my gfs who are natural. And he does a great job. I would also swing by the Dom Salon and talk to somebody and at least observe. Also, check here on the board for somebody in your area who has visited a Dom Salon. Maybe they can offer some help too.

Country gal

Country Gal are you sure its going to revert when you wash it? I was paranoid that whole week after I went to the Dominican Salon even though I knew she didn't use excessive heat when she blew it out. This board can make you paranoid about damage. Before coming here I would have never thought twice about it.

Yes, I feel pretty confidnet. IF anything I may have a few straighter strands.

Country gal

I went back to the stylist I had when I was relaxed. When I use to go to her I noticed she did a lot of natural hair. I felt comfortable going back to her again.

Chanteuse

I just wanted to add that most of the time when I see people with natural hair getting blown out with the round brush their hair doesn't get really straight unless they are flat ironed as well. So if that's the look you're going for you may want to consider this.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I have no salon recommendations, because everybody I know that 'do hair' there ain't playing when it comes to heat.

But whoever you go to, just make sure they have some sort of heat protectant on hand before you get there.

nappity

ElleDoll, yes, the Aveda girl was nice and knowledgeable. I taked to her in person. After reading a couple of threads about round brushes, I'm a little nervous about the Aveda round brush that the girl showed me. I don't want my hair ripped or torn out! Yikes! LOL! I don't know if she can achieve what the Dominican salon sounds like it can do, you know? The Aveda salon is MUCH closer to me.... Sigh....

What. to. do.?

My experience with any attempt to straighten always results in my hair going right back to being poofy- the effect doesn't even last for a day. Even if I blow dry it to trim it- it starts to revert as soon as the heat is off. I had a bad experience at a Dominican salon that led me to have to cut off 2 inches. But all salons are not the same. I think though for safety sake you should was deep condition and detangle at home. That round brush is a weapon of hair destruction. Also bring your own leave in and heat protective products. I cant recommend any because I use heat on my hair less than twice a year and my last experience above was no walk in the park.