I am LIVID!

Royalq

Rant-

so i decided to flat iron my APL natural hair. I was hoping to get maybe a week of straight hair and a week of stretched hair. I'm no rookie when it comes to flat ironing, i did it every week when i was relaxed. I know i can get my hair pin straight i was just worried about reversion. we feelin' to talk bout that B*%$# reversion in a moment. so i bought a new flat iron for 60 bucks. same flat iron i always buy. I was doing some research of reverting and every body was taling about using John frieda frizz ease serum to prevent reversion. So bought that, GArnier sleek and shine anti humidity serum, and i already had chi silk infusion. So i prepped my hair all day sunday and did a nice DC. I blew it out with Heat tamer and silk infusion. i didnt have time to flat iron then. so i flat ironed today....

I took small sections, used the chase method, had my iron at about 380. I used all freaking three serum-the JF frizz ease, Garnier, and chi. Tell me why and how this son of a b*%@% reverted within minutes?????? i separated my hair in 8. Once i moved on to the next section the first section was already reverting. By the time i was done it simply looked like i blew out my hair! I skipped a class and lost sleep trying to do this big head! i quickly tried to salvage it by doing a wrap but it puffed so much it would even wrap. now im stuck i spend hours on my hair just for it to look like i did nothing to it after blow drying.:wallbash: im so sad. now all i can do is brush it in to a bun. what the heck went wrong??

I tried to avoid products that had glycerin, i made sure to properly infuse moisture into my hair and still right now its is very soft. I used anti humidity products. im so pissed im returning every thing tomorrow and getting my 75 bucks back. I'll never waste my time flat ironing again.:cry2:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Im sorry that happened to you. The same thing happened to me a couple months ago. I vowed never to try and straighten my 4b natural hair myself again. I just pay the dominicans $40 and its straight until my next wash

Black Ambrosia

I can't speak on the products used but I personally don't see lasting results unless the temperature is at 450 degrees.

BonBon

Have you used the frizz ease before?

Funny i used the orange heat protectant one last time and my hair came out.... frizzy:look:

I blamed the new flat iron, but I don't know.

FollicleFanatic

Sorry to hear. It really sucks when you put your hair at ridh by using intense geat and it flips you the bird.

Why 3 serums? Sounds like too much imo.

Keshieshimmer

Sorry to hear. It really sucks when you put your hair at ridh by using intense geat and it flips you the bird.

Why 3 serums? Sounds like too much imo.

Yeah. I would use one serum, high heat, comb chase, and spray afterwards.

I got an awesome flat iron by using a comb attachment to blow dry.

ckisland

I'm sorry OP. The first time I tried to flatiron my hair, it was a pure disaster. My hair was so dang poofy and looked dry :ohwell:. I didn't try again until a few years later, after I had a professional straighten my hair and I saw the light. Getting my natural hair straight and keeping that way wasn't about product, it was about heat and technique. I've done this on from another style, Dc'd hair, barely conditioned hair, and it didn't matter. If I want my natural hair straight, I have to do 3 things:
1. Blowdry first. Twisting, braiding, rollersetting ain't going to cut it.
2. Flatiron at between 430 and 450. The first time I flatironned, I stayed under 400. Nope, my hair is entirely too kinky for that to have a lasting effect. I tried 415 and had to go back over it again because it wanted to revert :nono:. SistawithRealHair on youtube flatirons at about 450 (I think) and her hair stays straight for a month.
3. I had to do the comb chase method and really small sections. Hair's too dense, kinky, and coily to flatiron the regular way.

My hair would stay straight until I washed it out. And I mean it could withstand downpours and storms, and with no or only a little revision at the roots in the back :grin:. I never suffered heat damage either, but I don't have fine strands.

Mjon912

Aww I've been there... Multiple times and I'm only about 90% natural... I wear my hair straight 100% of the time... I've learned that my natural 4a/4b hair does not need a lot of oils/serums/leave ins, I use a very very small amount of product after I'm done washing and by small I mean all the oils that Im using mixed together put into my hand are about the size of a quarter... Less is definitely more

And maybe try roller setting to straighten then flat iron after it's dry

Last edited:

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
Honestly, sounds like you used too much product. Chi Silk infusion would've been enough. For my hair, I cannot use more than 250 degrees (I'm not sure how hot on my natural hair) I only use Chi and get good results.

Harina

Im sorry that happened to you. The same thing happened to me a couple months ago. I vowed never to try and straighten my 4b natural hair myself again. I just pay the dominicans $40 and its straight until my next wash

How were the Dominicans when you went to their salon? I've heard some horror stories about them being rude to women who have kinkier hair textures. I also heard that they don't do the same things to their own hair that they will do to their client's? Prettymetty

Yeah. I would use one serum, high heat, comb chase, and spray afterwards.

I got an awesome flat iron by using a comb attachment to blow dry.
Keshieshimmer What do you mean by spray? What do you use?

I'm sorry OP. The first time I tried to flatiron my hair, it was a pure disaster. My hair was so dang poofy and looked dry :ohwell:. I didn't try again until a few years later, after I had a professional straighten my hair and I saw the light. Getting my natural hair straight and keeping that way wasn't about product, it was about heat and technique. I've done this on from another style, Dc'd hair, barely conditioned hair, and it didn't matter.

I never suffered heat damage either, but I don't have fine strands.

ckisland What products did you use when you were natural? DC? Conditioner?

Aww I've been there... Multiple times and I'm only about 90% natural... I wear my hair straight 100% of the time... I've learned that my natural 4a/4b hair does not need a lot of oils/serums/leave ins, I use a very very small amount of product after I'm done washing and by small I mean all the oils that Im using mixed together put into my hand are about the size of a quarter... Less is definitely more

And maybe try roller setting to straighten then flat iron after it's dry

Mjon912. Are your strands fine? And what serums/leave-ins/oils do you use? Do you use conditioner after you wash or just go straight to the products after shampoo?

Honestly, sounds like you used too much product. Chi Silk infusion would've been enough. For my hair, I cannot use more than 250 degrees (I'm not sure how hot on my natural hair) I only use Chi and get good results.

Wow I'm surprised that you can use heat that low. Would definitely not work for me. Do you have a looser hair texture? PinkSunshine77

almond eyes

I used a flat iron once four years ago on my natural hair and I regretted it. For me now that I am transitioning when I plan to wear my hair straight using the tension blow dry method that to me is much better.

Best,
Almond Eyes

PureSilver

Sorry this happened to you OP, i have no right answers for you but i would be mad too because that was a waste of products i am sure you'd rather have for another time.

Channy31

Did you deep condition really well before straightening?

Thats always the key to perfectly straight hair for me, if I don't have a good 45 minute deep condition my hair will revert.

I don't find there is any need to blow dry before. Something that makes the biggest difference is that I have a steam pod flat iron :)

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Did you use a leave-in underneath all those serums?

I'm sorry, OP. I laughed :lol: It has happened to me so many times.

It was too many products, though. Your hair was 'too' protected from the heat, I think.

I can get bone-straight at about 275. I use ONE heat protectant on balanced hair from a protein treatment and moisture DC the night before. And one serum. Afterwards, I use an oil to keep it sealed.

Guinan

Re-Branding
When I was natural, I found that blow drying my hair prior to flat ironing REALLY works to achieve bone straight hair. Prior to blow drying, I let my hair air dry until its about 80% dry. I comb it through to get any tangles out. Then I blow dry (with a comb attachment) on medium to high heat in four sections. I then flat iron. I used two heat protectants. Chi iron guard, prior to blow drying & then I use sleek iron protectant to prevent reversion. When flat ironing, less product on the hair is better. Royalq

I continue this method with my texlax hair w/o any issues.

I hope this helps.

melissa-bee

I was planning to flat iron for the first time in over 3 years this weekend but now this thread has scared me.
I gave away my flat iron after I tried to straighten after bcing and I was so disappointed. But now I am picking up the courage to buy another one. I'm going do some more research. There's quite a large thread on BHM on straightening 4a/b hair.

krikit96

OP - sorry it didn't work out for you! But let me say this: WHY go to the dominicans when you can do this yourself at home?
Keep your money. Silver2 has thick hair and I LOVE her method. I think you used entirely too much product and you didn't blow dry?
For me, I look like I have a perm, but have been natural for going on 4 years. I can flat iron my hair and it will look straight until I wet it... that's been 4 weeks for me before, until I needed to wash.

When I wash, I separate it into four sections to blow dry. I too, use the frizz ease, because that stuff IS the truth... but it sounds like you used way too much. For my hair, which is kinda long, I can use 2, MAYBE 3 pumps for each section. I put the frizz ease on each section and THEN I blow dry. Then one by one, when I flat iron each section, I use about a quarter sized amount in the palm of my hand of chi silk infusion... I'll run thru each section of hair with the chi product, then I flat iron that section, move on to the next. My hair straight up looks like I have a perm.

Please don't count out the frizz ease or chi... It really works, when used correctly. I don't add that garnier stuff... the other two work great together. Oh, and I've flat ironed on 380 before, but it always works out better, meaning I only really need ONE pass, when I turn up to 410.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Harina they are always really nice to me. They tell me I have "beautiful hair". I started going to the dominicans in january of '13. I had a twa (necklength). After 8 months of blowouts and deep treatments I am apl! I only get a trim every 6 months and they are really gentle for the most part. I live in houston and ive only been to 2 dominican salons. Hope this helps :)

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Sounds like you used too many serums. I used a spray heat protectant prior to blow drying, then a bit of serum right before flat ironing. It came out pretty sleek. It was raining, so my hair poofed a bit after 2 days, but my hair didn't even fully revert until I washed it a week later.

naija24

Prettymetty so during those 8 months did you ever wear your hair curly? weren't you worried of heat damage or losing your curls?

I love Dominican salons too but i never had results like that.

ckisland

Harina , the only DC I became dedicated to while natural was Eden Bodyworks Jojoba Monoi deep conditioner. I used a little Cantu as my leave-in and Smooth 'n Silk Straightening Polisher. The first time I straightened as a natural, I used Chi heat protectant, some other expensive serum and a Chi flatiron. Yeah all those bells and whistles did nothing for my hair :lol:. No fancy products, cheap flatiron and I can get my hair very straight without revision or heat damage :yep:.

Kindheart

You should have used one product as a heat protectant ,if I use a moisturiser +serums my hair come out frizzy and reverts within hours .
Keep it simple :
Shampoo+DC Leave in /moisturizer + serum .

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Prettymetty so during those 8 months did you ever wear your hair curly? weren't you worried of heat damage or losing your curls?

I love Dominican salons too but i never had results like that.

I wore a wash n go a few times. My curls did get stretched out/heat damaged/heat trained. I dont care since I either wear my hair straight or braided under a wig. My new place straightens my hair without altering the curl pattern. I have about an inch of hair that wont curl. Either way my ends are healthy and im not experiencing breakage so Im happy :drunk:

Royalq

i did blow dry. Maybe i used the serums incorrectly. But wouldnt using too much serum make my hair straight anyways but just with weighted down with little movement? Why would it puff back up? Maybe it was the humidity because it rain cats and dogs that day.

KiLLaCarLi

Honestly, I have fine, thin, easily manipulated strands and 380 is too low even for me to get really straight with.

iVR

What type of flat iron did you buy? A flat iron is essential to a good flat ironing job.