I AM NEWLY NATURAL(4b) AND I NEED HELP

Mandy4610

I am so sorry if there is another thread like this but I need help. I BCed last month, now I need to figure out a regimen and what products are good for natural 4b hair. please suggest some products for the following categories;

1. Pre poo
2. Shampoos
3. Protein condish
4. Moisturising condish
5. Leave-in Condish
6. Moisturiser
7. oils
8. Growth aids
and anything else that helps natural hair be more healthy.

Thanks everyone, your help is appreciated.

NaijaNaps

1. Pre poo - I like to use a cheapie (V05, Suave) mixed with coconut or jojoba oil, sometimes I'll add honey too. Zap in the microwave for 20 sec, mix and let sit for a few mins. Apply to hair and let it marinate overnight.

2. Shampoos - I haven't really found a staple but Aveda DR shampoo still leaves some softness in my hair. I don't shampoo that often anyway.

3. Protein condish - I like Aveda DR, also Aubrey Organics have some good mild protein conditioners.

4. Moisturising condish - Still looking...:wallbash:

5. Leave-in Condish - I make my own with glycerin, jojoba oil and water...
I know it's not a leave in condish in the real sense but I'm hooked on applying shea butter to damp hair. It keeps my hair soft without having it feeling weighed down or greasy.

6. Moisturiser - Still looking...

7. Oils - Coconut and jojoba, primarily for sealing or hot oil treatments. My dry hair does not like oils.

8. Growth aids - Don't use any...I was taking GNC Ultra nourish hair and biotin but that was more for hair health than increased growth.

Mandy4610

1. Pre poo - I like to use a cheapie (V05, Suave) mixed with coconut or jojoba oil, sometimes I'll add honey too. Zap in the microwave for 20 sec, mix and let sit for a few mins. Apply to hair and let it marinate overnight.

2. Shampoos - I haven't really found a staple but Aveda DR shampoo still leaves some softness in my hair. I don't shampoo that often anyway.

3. Protein condish - I like Aveda DR, also Aubrey Organics have some good mild protein conditioners.

4. Moisturising condish - Still looking...:wallbash:

5. Leave-in Condish - I make my own with glycerin, jojoba oil and water...
I know it's not a leave in condish in the real sense but I'm hooked on applying shea butter to damp hair. It keeps my hair soft without having it feeling weighed down or greasy.

6. Moisturiser - Still looking...

7. Oils - Coconut and jojoba, primarily for sealing or hot oil treatments. My dry hair does not like oils.

8. Growth aids - Don't use any...I was taking GNC Ultra nourish hair and biotin but that was more for hair health than increased growth.
Thank you so much... this is helpful.

Bumping.....

Nola Darling

Don't sleep on Shea Butter and Sweet Almond oil. Both are very moisturizing. I get bottles of Sweet Almond Oil at Walmart for 3 bucks. I find them by the hispanic ointment area of the hygiene section.

MonPetite

I've got 120+ reviews on my fotki with details and ingredients lists to help you get started with shampoos, leave-ins, color, conditioners, protein treatments, you name it from drugstore to salon...and save $$$. I don't know how much money I wasted randomly trying stuff with no idea of how it may or may not work. I hope they can help.

AfroKink

1. Pre poo
2. Shampoos
3. Protein condish - Aubrey's GPB
4. Moisturising condish - any of the Aubrey's conditioners
5. Leave-in Condish
6. Moisturiser - aloe juice
7. oils - shea butter, castor oil
8. Growth aids

Lys

Mandy4610

I've got 120+ reviews on my fotki with details and ingredients lists to help you get started with shampoos, leave-ins, color, conditioners, protein treatments, you name it from drugstore to salon...and save $$$. I don't know how much money I wasted randomly trying stuff with no idea of how it may or may not work. I hope they can help.
Wonderful reviews.. thank you!!!

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
I am so sorry if there is another thread like this but I need help. I BCed last month, now I need to figure out a regimen and what products are good for natural 4b hair. please suggest some products for the following categories;

1. Pre poo: You don't really need one if you use a gentle shampoo, but I always vote for oil as a good prepoo
2. Shampoos I use a mix of shikakai and aritha powder to shampoo. I've heard some ppl have success with a mix of baking soda and conditioner. Or you can try Herbal Essence Hello Hydration shampoo.
3. Protein condish My fav protein conditioner is Mane and Tail's
4. Moisturising condish If you have a Trader Joe's near you their Nourish Spa Conditioner is great. HE Hello Hydration is also good too IMO
5. Leave-in Condish Giovanni Direct Leave In did nicely for me especially when I layered it
6. Moisturiser My favorites are from Qhemet Biologics. The Heavy Cream and Burdock Root Butter Cream are the bomb and I just interchange them when the season change. Heavy Cream for fall/winter. Butter Cream for spring/summer
7. oils Sweet Almond Oil, Coconut Oil, Jojoba Oils
8. Growth aids
and anything else that helps natural hair be more healthy. You might want to look into a good detangler. I like Qhemet's Olive Cream Detangler because not only does it detangles, it conditions too.

Hope that helps

Bigghair

Hi. Congrats on being newly natural. I will just tell you what I use, but be warned, it may or may not work for you. For prepoo/deep conditioner, I use yogurt and honey for one hour. Aubrey's Organics shampoos are good, but most of the time lately I have been doing ACV rinses. I cowash with VO5 and leave a little bit in. For moisture and styling try Qhemet Biologics Heavy Cream to start. All of the products in that line that I have tried are great. HTH
edited to add castor oil on wet hair to seal in moisture is great and vitamin shop hsnails vits are what I take.

Last edited:

oooop2

OMG..Thank you so much for posting this. I am off to look. I head to USA on Thurs and my first stop will be a BSS. :grin:

LadyKaypnyc

1. Pre poo Olive Oil, Coconut Oil
2. Shampoos Dr. Bonner's Peppermint Shampooo/Baking Soda ACV
3. Protein condish Mane and Tail Conditioner
4. Moisturising condish Herbal Essences Hello Hydration
5. Leave-in Condish Shea Moisture's Shea Butter Leave In/Redken Heavy Detangling Cream
6. Moisturiser-Qhemet Biologics Burdock Butter Creme/Shea Moistures Shea Butter Leave In
7. oils-Shea Butter, Jojoba, Coconut, Olive Oil
8. Growth aids-Don't have any to recommend, sorry
9. Deep Moisturizing Conditioner-Elasta QP DPR 11
10. Deep Protein Conditioner-ORS Replenishing Pak/Hair Mayo

Mandy4610

Thank you all so much. A lot of ladies here use ACV and baking soda for washing, isn't this only for clarifying? Does it leave the hair too dry? Is it better to use these instead of using poos with sulfates?

Sunshine0801

1. Pre poo
2. Shampoos: I don't really like any shampoo, but if I must shampoo I use CON.
3. Protein condish: I use Aphogee treatment four times a year.
4. Moisturising condish: Kenra MC
5. Leave-in Condish: Kenra MC
6. Moisturiser: Water, glycerin, EO's, CD Hair Milk
7. oils: Castor oil
8. Growth aids

Mandy4610

Thank you all so much. A lot of ladies here use ACV and baking soda for washing, isn't this only for clarifying? Does it leave the hair too dry? Is it better to use these instead of using poos with sulfates?
Bumping................

loolalooh

1. Pre poo
2. Shampoos
3. Protein condish
4. Moisturising condish
5. Leave-in Condish
6. Moisturiser
7. oils
8. Growth aids

1. Pre poo - I don't do this
2. Shampoos - Creme of Nature, Giovanni Tea Tree, OR Bioinfusions Rosemary Mint (all are SLS-free)
3. Protein condish - I don't do this but recommend an egg, mayo, and EVOO mix if needed
4. Moisturising condish - LustraSilk Cholesterol, EVOO, honey mix
5. Leave-in Condish - I don't do this
6. Moisturiser - Shea Butter OR water w/ Safflower Oil OR Castor Oil
7. oils - recommend Safflower/Castor (for moisture), EVOO (for DC mixes), and EVCO (for strength, shine, DC mixes)
8. Growth aids - Essential oil spritzes

LadyKaypnyc

I do regular cowashes, I only shampoo once a month, w/ the ACV or shampoo.

SignatureBeauty

This is wonderful!! I am also gonna have to try some of Qhems Burdock Root Butter Cream, I remember when she first started several years ago, I was so relived to have found her Heavy Cream that kept my hair soft & supple, but then it quit working for me:sad:

But I think I am gonna order some Friday:yep:

Faith

I just washed my hair this past Saturday and my usually very dry hair was so soft. Not sure what is going on with my hair but this time around (2nd time going natural). It's very soft.
I'll list what I use and is good and what I'm sticking with cause it's really good :)

Prepoo: Don't really do it as a natural (can't be bothered..lol) but if you want to do it use one of the oils...
Shampoo: I use Jason's Aloe Vera, Elucence clarifying, CON (red/white bottle). In the end I'll probably stick with Jason's only.
Protein: Motions Silk, Aubrey GPB, Affirm 5 in 1, Elasta QP Intense, Nexxus Emergencee, Megatek Rebuilder. In the end I'll just stick with Elasta Intense and the Mega Tek. ( I don't use that much protein as a natural)
Moisturizing Conditioner: (The ones I remember), ORS replenishing pak, Kenra Moisturizing Cond, Kenra Emollient Treatment, Redken Butter, Keracare Humecto, Aubrey White Camomille. In the end no Redken or Keracare just ORS, white camomille and Kenra.
Leave in: I just love using a bit of the Kenra moisturizing as my leave in
Liquid Moisturizer: My own mix (Kenra, EVOO, castor oil, 1tsp glycerin, 8 oz water).
Cream moisturizer: Qhemet Amla and the heavy cream. I don't think I will get more Qhemet...it's good but I need something more...hmm. I think I may make my liquid moisturizer but just thicker.
Oils: Castor oil, EVOO, (getting aut gro), vatika

For conditioning: I mix a moisturizing conditioner, EVOO, castor oil and honey. If I need some protein then I mix that into the previous 4 ingredients.

HTH :)

Last edited:

productjunkie814

1. Pre poo: I actually use the same one as I did when I was relaxed...the ORS Hair Mayo...love it
2. Shampoos: Either a Shikakai shampoo bar or an ACV rinse
3. Protein condish: Motions Protein Reconstructor
4. Moisturising condish: Any cheapo condish...also used for co-washes...V05, Herbal Essences...and they all smell delish!
5. Leave-in Condish: Garnier Fructis leave in
6. Moisturiser: Elasta Mango Butter
7. oils: I seal everything in with coconut oil
8. Growth aids: MN concoction made with coconut oil, shea butter, lavender oil, and peppermint oil
and anything else that helps natural hair be more healthy.: I've just started using a hair mist that I carry around with me everywhere I go...it's got rose water, aloe juice, and veggie gylcerin in it...my hair has never felt softer

I've been natural for less than a week and it's really been a learning experience for me; all I can do is keep experimenting. Good luck!

Faith

To update mine:

I am loving the Shikakai shampoo bar and gro aut has been great on my hair (so far).

InnerSoul

1. Pre poo suave conditioner mixed with almond oil on wet hair
2. Shampoos (in my fotki there are several that I use in rotation)
3. Protein condish my hemp (rinse out)... UBH (deep cond.)
4. Moisturising condish (used in rotation in my fotki)
5. Leave-in Condish (L'oreal curl defining creme)
6. Moisturiser care free curl gold
7. oils sweet almond, EVOO, JBCO and some essential oils
8. Growth aids

answers in bold, HTH!!

Loves Harmony

1. Pre poo- Suave and shea butter oil
2. Shampoos- Jocio(k-Pak)
3. Protein condish - Jocio (k-pak)
4. Moisturising condish - ors pack
5. Leave-in Condish- Cantu leave-in
6. Moisturiser - Qp Mango
7. oils - shea butter, castor oil,evod,jbco
8. Growth aids- Bee Mine

gymfreak336

Hi, this is Gym's sister I am 4b, with about a 3" TWA that I am currently rockin' twisted out as I better retain moisture...

1. Pre poo- don't ever really do

2. Shampoos- Giovanni's Smooth as Silk
Baking soda & honey with a few drops of olive oil (my favorite)

3. Protein condish - I can't do alot of protein; like once every few months I use ORS replenish pak

4. Moisturising condish - Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose for DC's
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose with added honey, molasses, & banana for steam treatments
Giovanni Smooth as Silk
5. Leave-in Condish- Giovanni Direct

6. Moisturiser - Shea butter whipped with: a dollop of AOHR, Giovanni Direct, glycerin, castor oil, Giovanni vitapro spray, and water (this is my twist cream)
and I spritz daily with water and glycerin or just water

7. oils - shea butter, castor oil, olive oil, avocado oil

8. Growth aids- haven't used any

SunySydeofLyfe

Not to hijack, but what is good for everyday long term moisture? I am also newly natural but I'd like something to help my DD natural hair on a daily....help define curls....