I am taking out my install tomorrow....

classi123

I just need some suggestions and what steps to strengthen my hair from the weave and also prepare to get re installed. I am using weaves as a protective style to stretch and gain growth (which has worked for me in the past).

I am currently 6 weeks post.
Should I clarify and do a deep moisturizing treatment? Do I need protein? Plz help. TIA

msa

Hiya!

I wear weaves a lot but I'm natural. I do have two pieces of advice for you that apply to everyone:
1. Make sure you detangle your hair thoroughly BEFORE you wash it. There have been numerous threads about how someone didn't detangle their hair first and once the water hit it they had knots and dreads that had to be cut out, causing a major setback.

2. Deep condition your hair! That's the first thing I would do to get my hair back to optimal condition before anything else.

Now, since you're relaxed you have different protein needs than I do. So, maybe another relaxed head can help you out with that.

Just know that you need to treat your hair gently once you take your weave out because it may have been weakened a little bit by the process.

Hope this helps!

classi123

Hiya!

I wear weaves a lot but I'm natural. I do have two pieces of advice for you that apply to everyone:
1. Make sure you detangle your hair thoroughly BEFORE you wash it. There have been numerous threads about how someone didn't detangle their hair first and once the water hit it they had knots and dreads that had to be cut out, causing a major setback.

2. Deep condition your hair! That's the first thing I would do to get my hair back to optimal condition before anything else.

Now, since you're relaxed you have different protein needs than I do. So, maybe another relaxed head can help you out with that.

Just know that you need to treat your hair gently once you take your weave out because it may have been weakened a little bit by the process.

Hope this helps!
THANKS!! WILL DO!!

Thann

I agree with all of Msa's advice. I myself always do a light to medium protein after taking down an install. I noramally use Aphogee 2min or ORS Mayo.

LovelyRo

I think you should hold off on clarifying until your next wash... it might be too harsh for you hair coming out of a sew in. I definately think you should do a serious moisturizing DC! And like the PP said detangle really well BEFORE apply any water to your hair! My friend just had a setback for this very reason and she knew better but, it's so easy to forget!!!

kriolagirl

I agree with everyone...DETANGLE!!! that is key. i usually drench my hair in evoo or evco overnight right after taking my hair down. it makes the detangling much easier and has made everything go much easier. i've started doing a protein treatment (aphogee) in addition to DC'ing and it has taken my shedding afterwards down to next to nothing. i started the protein before i put in my sew-in in june and just did it in between my present sew-in i just got august 1st and my hair is rolling along quite nicely. it has made my transition so much easier :)

ayoung

Yep...I'm going back to sewins to grow and protect my hair....did it for 9 months last time...

Detangle well before washing to get all that shed hair out etc....

Mild protein (I use CPR)

GOOD Moisture DC

classi123

Anymore suggestions ladies....B4 i put my last install in I noticed that my hair was REALLY dry....I know I need a good Moisturizing DC...ANy suggestions when your hair is in need of moisture?