I Bought a Wig Ya'll!

Jewell

I have been itching to buy a wig to wear as a protective measure. Went to my local BSS and found a beautiful one that is medium brown with slight high lights. Its very layered. Hits about 1 inch above bra-strap. I think its just great! What have I started?! I am now thinking of starting a wig collection...I lie to you not! I washed my hair, parted it down the middle, put it in two Pocahontas braids. I will pin the braids up under the wig. What do you ladies use under wigs/lace-fronts to protect your hair besides a wig cap? I may use a stocking cap because in all my frenzy, I forgot to get a wig cap and I want to wear it tomorrow to work. I just don't want to have friction directly on my hair. Thanks! :D

P.S. I will post pics tomorrow, I hope! If not, next week!

Last edited:

TigerLily

Hey Jewell!

The wigs are addictive! I got about 15 and I'm gonna buy another one tomorrow! :lol: The possibilities with wigs are endless and fun!

The only thing you really need is a wig cap. Just make sure to moisturize your hair, but don't put the wig cap on immediately after you moisturize. Wait for the hair to dry up some and then put the cap on or your hair will dry out.

Have fun!

senimoni

OKay...you can't make us wait all weekend. Thats just not right....LOL. Does it have a mono skin top or whatever.

Jewell

I hate to make ya'll wait for pics, but my USB port doesn't work and I usually upload my pics at my boyfriend's house. Well, he is in New York for a week. Thanks for the tips, Tiger Lily! Guess, what? my mom is hatin' on my wig! She says its too much for me. But, if I had my hair cut this way, it wouldn't be no drama.
VENT :mad:

Then she asked me this morning if I was going to keep it. Mind you, she is ultra conservative and old-fashioned with some of her views, IMO. I told her that I was definitely going to keep it AND WEAR IT because I think its pretty, and I really like it. As a matter of fact, I'm at work right now, and YES I'm wearing it. I could see if it was a pink afro wig or even was black with red streaks, but its brown! She goes on to say this blah blah blah about working at a bank (I am supposed to be starting as a bank teller shortly)/in an office type environment and how switching up your hair style is a sign of instability to the employer. She knows I don't switch my styles like that. I plan to wear one style for at least a month or so.

Plus, when I do buy more wigs they aren't going to be eccentric, or anything. I'm not necessarily conservative, but I know the appropriate way to present oneself at work in a dressy/casual environment. Anyway, there was a girl in the bank where I am supposed to be working that had a neck-length jet black wig with chinese blunt cut bangs. What's the big deal? I wouldn't be hearing her mouth if I HAD to wear a wig.

Then she would be telling me to put one on. I understand her logic behind being professional and maintaining a business-like appearance, but I can do that with a nice wig, my hair, or a drawstring ponytail. She should know that I would not have a wig down to my butt one day and a pixie cut the next. I will be consistent with the length, style, and color! I know how to dress the part. She always has something to say about my hair, my hair products, etc. She didn't want me to stretch my relaxers...I know she probably means well, but it sure is aggravating! {*Prays for strength to deal*} :lol:

Last edited:

webby

Think Slim
Jewell said:
She goes on to say this blah blah blah about working at a bank (I am supposed to be starting as a bank teller shortly)/in an office type environment and how switching up your hair style is a sign of instability to the employer. She knows I don't switch my styles like that. I plan to wear one style for at least a month or so.
I never heard that before. Also, what would your hair style, as long it's not outrageous, as you mentioned, have to do with your performance?

White women change their hair color often; cut their hair short, grow it out, get it straightened, permed...I've never seen it as a problem. I also, don't see wigs or weaves as a problem...but hey, what do I know, right? :lol:

Jewell

webby said:
I never heard that before. Also, what would your hair style, as long it's not outrageous, as you mentioned, have to do with your performance?

White women change their hair color often; cut their hair short, grow it out, get it straightened, permed...I've never seen it as a problem. I also, don't see wigs or weaves as a problem...but hey, what do I know, right? :lol:

EXACTLY. White women wear wigs and extensions also! I don't see what the problem is either! Last time I checked we weren't in the 19th century. I just don't get it.

Ms Red

Hi! Don't let your mom's opinions sway you. She probably doesn't see the end result your aiming for-- healthy long natural hair. :) I think wigs are great too. I have two of them and I am also transitioning to natural.

I don't believe that changing your hairstyle is a sign of instability to your employer. I work in a very corporate environment and have worn wigs, wraps and phony ponies all within a 2 week span with no problems. When my hair is longer I also plan to wear braidouts and twistouts. Do you!!!! :woot:

Jewell

cupcake said:
Hi! Don't let your mom's opinions sway you. She probably doesn't see the end result your aiming for-- healthy long natural hair. :) I think wigs are great too. I have two of them and I am also transitioning to natural.

I don't believe that changing your hairstyle is a sign of instability to your employer. I work in a very corporate environment and have worn wigs, wraps and phony ponies all within a 2 week span with no problems. When my hair is longer I also plan to wear braidouts and twistouts. Do you!!!! :woot:

Thanks girl! That's what I needed to hear.