I CANNOT blow dry my natural hair

SparklingFlame

This is what I do so that I can blow dry my hair w/o ripping it out and w/ no awkwardness:
1. detangle hair with my Denman
2.take one small section at a time and blow dry it with a comb attachment. Its very easy to comb thru with this b/c the hair is already detangled and you can use 2 hands instead of 1.

HTH!

SparklingFlame

I have this one.

This is the one that I use too. I grip it on the long part right next to where the comb is attatched. Its very easy to use that way. Also the other blow dryer that was poste is really crappy. The combs ALWAYS break.

zzirvingj

This was my problem that I had this past weekend. My hair was about 75% dry and I wanted to smooth it out some with the blow dryer. I had a brush in one hand and the blow dryer in the other. It was too tiresome, awkward, and time consuming this way. I was thinking about getting one of these...

Jilbere Ceramic Tools Hot Air Brush from Sally's....$19.99 (or $17.99) w/ card.

I tried using the pick attachment for blow dryers back in the day when I was relaxed in the teeth would break off in my hair.

If I don't get the hot air brush, I'll get something like this to hold my dryer while I use the brush...

Interesting. I've never seen something like this before!

Afrolinda

I just bought this one:

I only used it once, it does the work if you detangle your hair really well before you blow dry it. Next time I'm gonna try rollersetting and the hooddryer and see how it works out.

zzirvingj

I just bought this one:

I only used it once, it does the work if you detangle your hair really well before you blow dry it. Next time I'm gonna try rollersetting and the hooddryer and see how it works out.

What brand is this? Can't really tell from the pic....

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
zzirvingj, don't try to blowdry your natural hair straight. I just use the blowdryer to dry my hair, not to straighten. After I'm done, I have a big fluffy afro that's soft and moveable which I really like.

When my hair was relaxed, I could get my hair straight with a blowdryer, but not with my natural hair. I don't even want to try. If I want it straight, I'll just have to press it.

Maynard

I use a blowdryer with a comb attachment. I also let my hair airdry in a bun or a few big braids about 80% of the way to stretch it out some, so I'm not using so much heat. This is the blowdryer I have and I LUV it. Also, it's a ceramic blowdryer by Andis. Costs about 25 bucks.

LOL This is the one I have....I havent had it break on me, but I am extra careful..

bluebearfanatic

I always have difficulty blow drying my hair too. Those universal attachments are awful! I'm going to try some of the tips suggested on here. Practice makes perfect. :grin:

PinkSkates

In my opinion, all of those fancy attachments do nothing but rip our fragile hair out! They are not manufactured with our hair (type 3&4) in mind. I do blow dry my hair; but I use no attachments only my hands and tension.

zzirvingj

BUMPING this old thread to see if anyone has tried any new dryers or blowdrying techniques on their hair that have worked really well for them??

d-rock

Please tell me someone has a tutorial on blow drying natural 4a/b hair? I am kind of awkward with my hands and have a VERY hard time holding the blow dryer AND paddle brush at the same time. I just don't see how ya'll do it!

I feel like I need a blow dryer that has some sort of comb attached to it....do any naturals own and use such a dryer?

Any tips on techniques for blow drying natural hair would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

It's sooooooo much easier if someone helps you. I'm still blow drying my hair from a wash last night (first time using dryer in three months) and it's been a slow process. I did 90% of my head and feel asleep, it's taking forever and I'm starting to just want it done. Anyway, my hair is 4a/b and a little passed shoulder length (in it's natural curly state) and I start at the back and detangle a small section, dry and then braid off that section. And continue until I'm done. I was using a paddle brush too, stretching the hair using the brush and letting air from the dryer do it's thing, but I gave up on that and put the comb attachment on the end. Oh, I'm also using the lowest heat setting and the lowest air setting, and detanlging with my fingers whenever possible. Probably why it's taking so long.

Irresistible

Please tell me someone has a tutorial on blow drying natural 4a/b hair? I am kind of awkward with my hands and have a VERY hard time holding the blow dryer AND paddle brush at the same time. I just don't see how ya'll do it!

I feel like I need a blow dryer that has some sort of comb attached to it....do any naturals own and use such a dryer?

Any tips on techniques for blow drying natural hair would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

I cant blow dry my hair with an attachment or any brush or any comb, I cant make it past the swelling part and tangling, I would pass out first!

cmesweet

I use a blowdryer with a comb attachment. I also let my hair airdry in a bun or a few big braids about 80% of the way to stretch it out some, so I'm not using so much heat. This is the blowdryer I have and I LUV it. Also, it's a ceramic blowdryer by Andis. Costs about 25 bucks.

This is exactly how I do mine. My hair is already partially stretched because I braid it and let it dry. THat way it is less work.

Paddle brush my hooha:blush:

Soliel185

I have this one.

I just bought one of these and I :love: it! Get my hair swinging straight from the roots. When I finish with my flat iron I have bouncy airy silky straight hair. The heat/cool settings are awesome. I detangle/stretch my hair with my denman and then partially airdry so I only need to blow dry for a few minutes.

I've noticed that if I detangle with my denman first - getting all the shed hair out - the attachment just glides through my hair and I don't see tons of little peices or breakage. Also - blowdry small sections are a time depending on how curly/kinky your hair is.

Although - if you have really thick hair (see avi) you may pop the comb attachment off once or twice :look:.

Last edited: