Blow Drying Support Thread

bronzeqtoftx

Knowledge Seeker
Hopping into the thread, I’ve owned my current handheld blow dryer since May of this year. So far I’ve only used it on wash days so my hair can dry quicker. I want to try my own Dominican blowouts in the future.

icsonia22

I was reading some old threads and saw that everyone was raving about the wonders of crisco for a press. I wasnt that brave but I did decide to go ahead and use the great value off brand crisco for a blow dry with my revair (I already use it for a prepoo). I'm happy to report that I didnt end up turning into a poodle head by Thanksgiving afternoon. I did use a heat protectant as well.

Attachments

• 20201126_162244_copy_452x804.jpg
    20201126_162244_copy_452x804.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 53

lorr1e1

4C (natural) currently relaxed (Mizani)
Relaxed
Toni and Guy with integral comb attachment
Various Mizani products start to finish
After washing once or two times per week.

I don't see the point in flat ironing after relaxing unless going out some place so I don't do it.

lorr1e1

I was reading some old threads and saw that everyone was raving about the wonders of crisco for a press. I wasnt that brave but I did decide to go ahead and use the great value off brand crisco for a blow dry with my revair (I already use it for a prepoo). I'm happy to report that I didnt end up turning into a poodle head by Thanksgiving afternoon. I did use a heat protectant as well.
What is crisco

lorr1e1

Who is still blow drying? Who has been blow drying long term?

Have you experienced any damage or change in curl pattern?
Blow drying hair won't change curl pattern permanently o my chemical relaxers does. Everyone should know that by now.

Last edited:

Theresamonet

Blow drying hair won't change curl pattern o my chemical relaxers does. Everyone should know that by now.
Girl, excuse you?? Don’t tell me what I should know...with your rude and wrong self. Heat used at a high enough temp (for your particular hair) can absolutely break your disulfide bonds, permanently altering your curl pattern. Have you been living under a rock, or have those relaxer chemicals seeped so far into your brain, you’ve forgotten basic ish??

LiLi

Omg. I don’t know how I missed this but your hair looks so full and long! You have retained so much length!!!! I love it!!!

LiLi

I have been blow drying all year. However, I do get lazy sometimes and air dry which I always regret. My air-dried hair requires too much manipulation to get it to look decent. I haven’t noticed any drastic difference with my curl pattern and my hair retains moisture so much better when I blow dry it (using the RevAir). I also experience less breakage. In 2021, I plan to do a full deep treatment and blow dry every week and see how my hair does.

Theresamonet

I have been blow drying all year. However, I do get lazy sometimes and air dry which I always regret. My air-dried hair requires too much manipulation to get it to look decent. I haven’t noticed any drastic difference with my curl pattern and my hair retains moisture so much better when I blow dry it (using the RevAir). I also experience less breakage. In 2021, I plan to do a full deep treatment and blow dry every week and see how my hair does.

This is also my plan for 2021. I agree with everything you’ve said. My hair is easier to style and manipulate with heat, and retains moisture better. The stylist I went to to get my hair cut (my first time with her), was trying to tell me not to blow dry weekly because “it will dry your hair out”, and :blah: :blah:. I ignored her, cause she doesn’t know my tools or methods. These new dryers on the market are a lot more gentle on the hair. I’m going to continue going to this stylist, cause she did a great job on my silk press and cut, so she’s going to see better than I can tell her. Lol

LiLi

This is also my plan for 2021. I agree with everything you’ve said. My hair is easier to style and manipulate with heat, and retains moisture better. The stylist I went to to get my hair cut (my first time with her), was trying to tell me not to blow dry weekly because “it will dry your hair out”, and :blah: :blah:. I ignored her, cause she doesn’t know my tools or methods. These new dryers on the market are a lot more gentle on the hair. I’m going to continue going to this stylist, cause she did a great job on my silk press and cut, so she’s going to see better than I can tell her. Lol
Please keep us updated when you go back to your stylist! I wish I could find someone to give me a good cut but I am too tenderheaded for anyone to wash/comb my hair. I don’t know if places will do a flat iron/cut if I washed and blow dried my hair before coming in.

Theresamonet

Please keep us updated when you go back to your stylist! I wish I could find someone to give me a good cut but I am too tenderheaded for anyone to wash/comb my hair. I don’t know if places will do a flat iron/cut if I washed and blow dried my hair before coming in.

I tried calling around to different salons to see if anyone would just trim my already washed and styled hair. No “regular” salon would, only places like Supercuts, Haircuttery, etc. I used to get a pretty decent cut at one of these type of places. But you really have to cherry pick the salon and stylist.

Dayjoy

Old School Member

I had stopped using my blow dryer (RevAir) since I got my hair cut really short. I tried a WnG and didn’t like it so I was doing braid and twist outs. DD reminded me to try blow drying again. I thought it didn’t make sense since my hair is short but she was right. So lately I’ve been blow drying and then doing flexirods or twist and Bantu knot outs and I like it SO much better. So to answer the question, yes, I’m back to blow drying. And, no, I haven’t experienced any change in curl pattern. I think that’s because I use the RevAir on low heat and low tension, because we all know that blow drying incorrectly for your hair CAN damage it and cause unwanted pattern change.

Theresamonet

I had stopped using my blow dryer (RevAir) since I got my hair cut really short. I tried a WnG and didn’t like it so I was doing braid and twist outs. DD reminded me to try blow drying again. I thought it didn’t make sense since my hair is short but she was right. So lately I’ve been blow drying and then doing flexirods or twist and Bantu knot outs and I like it SO much better. So to answer the question, yes, I’m back to blow drying. And, no, I haven’t experienced any change in curl pattern. I think that’s because I use the RevAir on low heat and low tension, because we all know that blow drying incorrectly for your hair CAN damage it and cause unwanted pattern change.

I didn’t know you got a haircut. Did you big chop??

Going back to using heat has really made my life so much easier. My hair is just a lot more predictable.

Thanks for mentioning the bolded, because it absolutely CAN. We know this. I have had heat damage before, and it wasn’t invisible relaxer fairies. It was the heat. :lol:

lorr1e1

Girl, excuse you?? Don’t tell me what I should know...with your rude and wrong self. Heat used at a high enough temp (for your particular hair) can absolutely break your disulfide bonds, permanently altering your curl pattern. Have you been living under a rock, or have those relaxer chemicals seeped so far into your brain, you’ve forgotten basic ish??
Wow, I have never known hairdryer heat or flat iron heat, curling iron heat to permanently change curl pattern been using it for 30 years. No need to take it the wrong way or get personal which was way over the top reaction from you.

Last edited:

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I didn’t know you got a haircut. Did you big chop??

Going back to using heat has really made my life so much easier. My hair is just a lot more predictable.

Thanks for mentioning the bolded, because it absolutely CAN. We know this. I have had heat damage before, and it wasn’t invisible relaxer fairies. It was the heat. :lol:
I guess you could say I big chopped. I just turned 50 in June and wanted something different. I was APL stretched before and now I have a TWA and I love it! I once got heat damage using the Revlon blow dryer brush. That thing gets hot.

secretdiamond

Wow, I have never known hairdryer heat or flat iron heat, curling iron heat to permanently change curl pattern been using it for 30 years. No need to take it the wrong way or get personal which was way over the top reaction from you.
Just an FYI - heat damage in natural hair presents itself as loss of curl pattern, very loose or straight ends/sections of hair that never curl back or regain their shape.
If you’re relaxed, the curl pattern is already destroyed, so it will present differently.

lorr1e1

Just an FYI - heat damage in natural hair presents itself as loss of curl pattern, very loose or straight ends/sections of hair that never curl back or regain their shape.
If you’re relaxed, the curl pattern is already destroyed, so it will present differently.
That's damage where its singed not everyday usage. I had normally use the highest strength relaxer and I've always notice the ends revert if they are not cut off this is why I think that relaxers are not really permanent for some coarse hair types like mine I have 4c.

When I've transitioned and had done canerow for a year then pulled it out, washed it etc people always think my whole hair is natural when in actual fact the relaxed hair is still there and not fully grown ou. The twisting of the plait has reverted the hair and looked more coily. My hair fools so many people.

Last edited:

GettingKinky

Y
That's damage where its singed not everyday usage. I had normally use the highest strength relaxer and I've always notice the ends revert if they are not cut off this is why I think that relaxers are not really permanent for some coarse hair types like mine I have 4c.

When I've transitioned and had done canerow for a year then pulled it out, washed it etc people always think my whole hair is natural when in actual fact the relaxed hair is still there and not fully grown ou. The twisting of the plait has reverted the hair and looked more coily. My hair fools so many people.
You can cause heat damage to natural hair without singeing it. I had heat damage from flatironing. And I had it done by a professional and only every 8 weeks. Heat damage can happen any time you apply heat and tension to your hair.

LiLi

Any naturals still blowdrying on a regular basis? I ordered the Revair 5/24 and it finally shipped out today. I'm looking forward to regular use because these SSK are not the business!
I am! If I don’t blowdry, I get too much breakage and my hair won’t stay moisturized. My problem now is that I sweat so bad when I work out that my hair looks a hot mess. It is still soft but it just looks a hot mess. I hope you love the RevAir!!

nyeredzi

Fyi, oil is not recommended for use with Revair. My wand got damaged. They nicely replaced it for me, but said oil use with it voids the warranty

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
those who are still blow drying regularly, how is your hair doing after another year of blow drying? Care to share Hi Tips, tricks, and favourite product combos?
Hi @Mapleoats! I'm still blow drying regularly. I have in a keratin treatment and prefer my hair straight. My hair is still doing well. I blow dry with the Dyson comb attachment then switch to the concentrated air nozzle with a ceramic round brush. I usually follow up with a few flat iron passes (Loreal Steampod). For products, I tend to stay light handed. I use It's a Ten or Aveda Smooth Infusion as my leave-in with the blow drier and Paul Mitchell Super Skinny with my flat iron. Throughout the week I moisturize usually with Keracare Overnight in the blue container, but that's been difficult for me to get my hands on so I've switched to Marc Anthony's coconut leave in spray. Neither reverts my hair.

icsonia22

I originally started using the revair around late December 2018. The only thing i regret about it is not having purchased it sooner. Regular blow dryers make my hair feel like a brillo pad unless i use a paddle brush and paddle brushes cause breakage. Blow drying with traditional blow dryers just seemed to be a lose lose situation. I hate to sound like an infomercial but the revair has changed my hair for the better. I used to have a head full of single strand knots that ate up my progress and now as long as I keep my hair stretched after using the revair, i don't have to deal with single strand knots at all. How often i wash my hair varies, but it is normally no sooner than 6 weeks between protective styles. I keep my hair sectioned and rope twisted during the wash process. Every section that isn't being blow dried is covered by a shower cap to keep the moisture in. It isn't recommended to use oils with the revair but im so far outside of the warranty period that it doesnt matter much to me. I use a combo of tgin tea tree leave in conditioner and castor oil on each section before i place my hair in the wand. My hair comes out feeling super soft and moisturized without the reversion that you get from using products that contain glycerin.
those who are still blow drying regularly, how is your hair doing after another year of blow drying? Care to share your Tips, tricks, and favourite product combos?