I can't afford my hair!

mizbtown2

I don't have the time or money to keep my natural hair up. My daughter's natural hair is at her waist, and she might be getting a trim. Instead of relaxing, I'm going to cut it down like my profile pic. I'll keep it short til I have time and energy to style and care for it. The attached pic shows nineteen months of growth from around profile pic. I rollerset it for the first time since natural last night. I had to get a rollerset in before cutting it! What do you think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    496.7 KB · Views: 318

LovelyLouboutin

I don't have the time or money to keep my natural hair up. My daughter's natural hair is at her waist, and she might be getting a trim. Instead of relaxing, I'm going to cut it down like my profile pic. I'll keep it short til I have time and energy to style and care for it. The attached pic shows nineteen months of growth from around profile pic. I rollerset it for the first time since natural last night. I had to get a rollerset in before cutting it! What do you think?

Was is your regimen? Maybe you can substitute some of the products you're using for less expensive ones. Maybe there are ways to multitask with your hair care.
Ex. I just got a hair therapy wrap so I can do my DCs while I'm doing other things in the house.

jessicarabbit

imo healthy hair doesnt have to be as expensive as alot of people make it (PJs, ect). Simplicity is ALWAYS best for me.
whats your daughters reggie?

lollikd

Aww... that's sad to hear! Maybe you can just braid it up for a while or something. Use less expensive products and keep I simple. Starting over can be such a drag.

mizbtown2

For my daughter I cowash and twist or style for a week or two. It's so thick! She gets a shampoo when needed. I want to get her some curl formers.

camilla

try more inexpensive products like vo5 moisture milks tressame naturals trader joes nousish spa all of these can be used as rinse out AND leave in conditioners for moisturizers wipped shea butter aloe gel and some oils hth

greenandchic

mizbtown2 - What products are you using?

I do understand what you mean. Unfortunately for a fine haired natural that's prone to breakage, SSKs, etc, simplicity is not effective. I stayed at the same length for years being simple. :lol:

Since your hair seems to do well with a simple routine, maybe we can help you with some less expensive products. Tell us what you're using and maybe we can come up with with alternatives for you.

Someone already mentioned Trader Joe's shampoos and conditioners. Both the Tree Tea Tingle and Nourish Spa conditioners can be used as leave ins.

Tresemme Naturals Conditioners are great for rinse out and leave in.

L'Oreal has some great hair care lines these days.

If you use gel Ecostyler is a great buy and they have frequent sales at Sally Beauty.

mizbtown2

I use Tresemme Naturals to cowash. Ecostyler for wngs. The products are cheap already. I just am out of style options and don't want to flat iron. My hair is at an in between stage and I don't like it. What I can't afford are style options like braids to tide me over.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Please don't cut! Like everyone else said, post your products and let the well versed ladies tell you what the less expensive dupes for them are that are still effective.

In addition, try the crown and glory method. braids or twists w/o added synthetic hair that is not braided too tight or small. HTH

HeChangedMyName

find a friend who can braid. or even a highschooler who will do it for you for like $10-15. How old is your DD? is she old enough to learn to do hair? My DD is 6 and little does she know. . . .muahhhahahah. I'm prepping her to do OUR hair. she knows how to braid in plaits and two strand twist. next is cornrows.

HeChangedMyName

buy a phony pony puff, try wigs(one may cost $30-40 but it will last over and over and over and over. get some new accesories, and master that WnG. I know how it is to be in that midlength state. I'm there. I've invested in some nice knit/crochet slouchy tam style hats from the BSS and I am rocking them and meanwhile my hair is just growing and happy inside(I don't even have to fix it to wear the hat lol)

DaiseeDay

Maybe you can stop the wash and goes, join a bun challenge, and just use conditioner + maybe a little Eco Styler to bun. I don't think it gets simpler than that, you just have to make sure you condition and detangle, but no need to worry about a style.

Or you could protective style and try mini twists (which can be pulled back or styled). You can do mini twists yourself; it'll take time, but they should keep for at least a few weeks (or months) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSBFMjCoZOQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:

BeautyGoesDutch

Have you thought about wearing cute natural style wigs that look like wngs that is what my whole family did until we were done with the in between stage! Buy two or three wigs don't have to be human hair or anything like that just really cute and simple. My go to wig was and is Nia Girl.

intellectualuva

mizbtown2 - What products are you using?

I do understand what you mean. Unfortunately for a fine haired natural that's prone to breakage, SSKs, etc, simplicity is not effective. I stayed at the same length for years being simple. :lol:

Since your hair seems to do well with a simple routine, maybe we can help you with some less expensive products. Tell us what you're using and maybe we can come up with with alternatives for you.

Someone already mentioned Trader Joe's shampoos and conditioners. Both the Tree Tea Tingle and Nourish Spa conditioners can be used as leave ins.

Tresemme Naturals Conditioners are great for rinse out and leave in.

L'Oreal has some great hair care lines these days.

If you use gel Ecostyler is a great buy and they have frequent sales at Sally Beauty.

The bolded sounds like my life for the last 2 years. Help me, please. Whats your regi? greenandchic

Iluvsmuhgrass

Wig it or bun it! You don't have to have braids or twists. I use kinky braiding hair as a protective bun where my ends aren't out at all. (You can even baggy your ends and cover it up with a home made bun made to match your color and texture.)

My style of choice recently has been wigs. I wash/dc, apply leave-ins, and twist it up. When I'm ready to go, I grab a wig of choice, style it, and GO! It's so easy! And it doesn't have to be expensive at all. My favorite wigs cost between $10 -$30. They can last a decent while with good care. :yep:

Shadiyah

Plus it tAkes time to make wng presentable so it's not a true wng.

I get it you have to go what is best for you and if you truly want to rock a twa for now than do it. There is nothing wrong with a twa. some of us want long hair and some of us don't. keep your hair cut short until you want to take on more with it.

BraunSugar

None of my hair products cost more than $10. The items that are around $10 last me months at a time. I just did a wash & go today with La Bella gel that was $1.84 for 22oz. Even my natural products (aloe vera gel, aloe vera juice, black soap, oils, flax seeds) are cheap. My conditioners are under $5. I just can't see myself spending more than $10 on anything that isn't sold in bulk for my hair.

ETA: The rollerset looks good.

I used puffs to get myself through my awkward growth stage.

Last edited:

BonBon

I use Tresemme Naturals to cowash. Ecostyler for wngs. The products are cheap already. I just am out of style options and don't want to flat iron. My hair is at an in between stage and I don't like it. What I can't afford are style options like braids to tide me over.

I learned to do my own braids. There are tuts on youtube and also I bought the braids by breslin DVD.

Curly1908

I am confused. How is your hair expensive when you're using such cheap products?

I vote that you should shave it to a nice fade if it's causing you that much stress.