I can't afford my hair!

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen
Protective style! This will save you a lot of money on conditioner and products. Give the wash and go's a break until summer. Set your hair into styles that will last you atleast 1-2 weeks at a time.

mizbtown2

I can't afford to do MORE. Plus it's time consuming. I guess I want something more stylish than a bun. With it cut, it looks good and is effortless. I seem to have to choose between my hair and hers. I'd rather she love her hair. I'd rather sew! It costs time too!

naturalagain2

I have two daughters one is waist length the other is mid back. I understand your struggle. I'm the only person that do their hair. Just a suggestion that worked for me. I alternate their styles according to special occasions or times when I want to devote a weekend to my hair. For example, week before last I put the youngest in twist w/ braided roots because I know that will last long for her. Then last week I did my older daughter hair in a protective style (side braids w/ with twists) and didn't have to worry with the youngest dd hair. Meanwhile I was in protective style way prior. This past weekend both were in the protective styles I had given them so I was able to take out my protective style and do a henna treatment. Meanwhile there styles can morph into another style by untwisting the twist this week.

Also washing and styling their hair all in the same day can be overwhelming sometimes. So I may wash their hair and then do braids for them to airdry. The next day I will put the braids into a bun for school. In the afternoon I will cook, do what I have to do and style one of them that night then the next night do the other. Planning ahead has helped me out a lot.

Hope this helps.

naturalagain2

Also youtube has quick protective styles that doesn't include braiding. I found quite a bit. Can't get to them right now though.

RegaLady

I can't afford to do MORE. Plus it's time consuming. I guess I want something more stylish than a bun. With it cut, it looks good and is effortless. I seem to have to choose between my hair and hers. I'd rather she love her hair. I'd rather sew! It costs time too!

I totally understand!:yep: Most of my family has hair that I have to do:nono:. Many times I thoght about walking away from my own hair lol. You know what you need to do.:yep:

ETA: Ironically, like you, I probably would have cut my hair had it not been for how expensive I think it is compared to natural longer hair. In fact, that is probably the only thing that stops me. But if you mean expensive in time and energy, I get it.

Last edited:

alltangledup

DON'T YOU DARE!!!
there are plenty of ways to cut costs! An average moisturizer like ORS (the light green stuff) and shea butter will keep you well moisturized and detangled for atleast four weeks at a time. and then some ors edge controll to style

My stats: (also justification as to y you should take my advice :p * just kidding, but seriously, gorgeous head of hair you have there. )
*4ab- length 12''
*coily,cottony, dense
*texlaxed
* stretches 16 weeks ( can't you tell I'm proud?? )

Also to u-part wigs are just wonderful!

Last edited:

daydreem2876

carpe diem
My suggestion is a good cut/trim (whatever you stermine that to be). I remember when I was going into to the in between phase and my fro would not properly "fro". The cut gave my natural hair some shape to work with during that phase.

greenandchic

The bolded sounds like my life for the last 2 years. Help me, please. Whats your regi? greenandchic

intellectualuva

After years of trying different things (mostly nothing :lol:) I think I have it down now:

• Wash (cowash, shampoo, cleansing conditioner) 2-3x a week. I only use the shampoo as needed. The more water, the better. I find I actually need to detangle less when I wash more.
  • Deep condition at least once a week when I wash.
  • Treatments that helps with porosity and keep my hair smooth (henna, Roux, glosses, etc).
  • Very light protein as needed.
  • Dust every 12 weeks.
  • Buns - most of the time, or at least wearing my hair up helps a great deal.
  • Moisturize and seal often. Use products that add moisture such as curl activators, hair milks, water sprays.
  • Satin to sleep on.
  • Keep my hair stretched. No WnGs (only for special occasions) - too much tangles and breakage.

Theresamonet

How is having about 4 less inches of hair going to save you money? :confused: You still have to moisturize that twa... So whatever you are going to use to do that, just apply a bit more to those few extra inches. I must be misunderstanding...

intellectualuva

intellectualuva

After years of trying different things (mostly nothing :lol:) I think I have it down now:

• Wash (cowash, shampoo, cleansing conditioner) 2-3x a week. I only use the shampoo as needed. The more water, the better. I find I actually need to detangle less when I wash more.
  • Deep condition at least once a week when I wash.
  • Treatments that helps with porosity and keep my hair smooth (henna, Roux, glosses, etc).
  • Very light protein as needed.
  • Dust every 12 weeks.
  • Buns - most of the time, or at least wearing my hair up helps a great deal.
  • Moisturize and seal often. Use products that add moisture such as curl activators, hair milks, water sprays.
  • Satin to sleep on.
  • Keep my hair stretched. No WnGs (only for special occasions) - too much tangles and breakage.

You are an angel greenandchic!!!! This makes perfect sense, my hair is tangled hot mess when I do twistouts and WnGs. How do you stretch it...just tie it down when air drying? Do you rollerset? I'm sorry to bombard you with questions, but what you described really hit home for me and want to get it right. I have been chasing APL for 3 years and I knew I was doing something wrong.

LivingDoll

OP, I say do what will make you happy....especially if you don't think you'll regret it later. I used to get like that too, where I would want short hair (back when I was relaxed/texlaxed). I haven't felt that way since I've been natural and my hair is prob just an inch or so shorter than yours right now. Part of the fun for me was growing it back out. I have no idea why. Some people won't understand and that's okay. You don't need approval.

The ladies have given you some great options. I say sleep on it for a few more days and see how you feel. This may be a fleeting feeling. Ultimately you should do what makes you happy.

naheda72

I use Tresemme Naturals to cowash. Ecostyler for wngs. The products are cheap already. I just am out of style options and don't want to flat iron. My hair is at an in between stage and I don't like it. What I can't afford are style options like braids to tide me over.

I wore my hair in twist/twistouts during that stage. It was very cute and I used cheap products.

1QTPie

Elder Sim
Why not just wear it in twists and twists outs? How is your hair costing you money if you are doing it yourself? My most expensive product (I've been natural for 10 years) costs me $12 every 3 months. I'm confused. But do what makes you happy.

greenandchic

You are an angel greenandchic!!!! This makes perfect sense, my hair is tangled hot mess when I do twistouts and WnGs. How do you stretch it...just tie it down when air drying? Do you rollerset? I'm sorry to bombard you with questions, but what you described really hit home for me and want to get it right. I have been chasing APL for 3 years and I knew I was doing something wrong.

intellectualuva -When I wash I put my hair in about 8 flat twists and wait until they're dry. I usually do it at night/late evening and its usually completely dry by the next morning (my hair dries fast). I usually bun it up the next morning.

My hair in my sig is unstretched.