I can't take my dry scalp anymore!!!!

bellydancer

I can\'t take my dry scalp anymore!!!!

I'm so sick and tired of my dry scalp. Ever since I can remember my scalp has been dry. It has these big dry patches in alot of places. My brothers hair is the same way and you can see his because he has his hair cut short. My head itches badly the day after I conditioner wash or shampoo or clarify. It's ALWAYS dry. My hair is moisturized and except for the first inch of it and my scalp. What do I do? I'm sick of this. It's been like this for years and I've tolerated it, but this has got to stop. Help please. Thanks ladies.

melodee

Re: I can\'t take my dry scalp anymore!!!!

Do you use oils on your scalp like Coconut oil? Verious oils works wondes for plain itchy scalp. There is a skin conditioning oil that I use that is great for dry and problematic skin.
BUT, if all else fails, you may need a persciption medication for your problem. A dermatologist can prescibe you Derma-Smooth oil if you have certain scalp conditions.
Also, do you use a medicated shampoo? Nizoral is a good one to keep scalp itching and falking away, even if you don't have big time dandruff.

LABETT

Have you ever tried pre-hot oil treatment with extra virgin
olive oil it works great for me.
I also use Nizoral prescription shampoo when my starts to itch or becomes flaky.

bellydancer

i was going to go back to the old grease on the scalp days. I did use head and shoulders and that just made the problem worse. I've never used Nizoral. I might have to just give that a try because i can't take it anymore. how often do you ladies shampoo with it?

northernbelle

I was going to suggest using grease. At the present time, I use Keracare's High Sheen Glossifier. It is light, provides wonderful shine, and will help to eliminate the dry scalp issue. Keracare also manufactures a "grease", but it is not as heavy as most.

Have you considered a dandfruff shampoo? Pantene's Relaxed and Natural line has recently introduced such a shampoo. It may be worth a try.

northernbelle

SingingStar12

Some tea tree shampoos work on dry scalps.

trutodis2000

it seems as if you have a dry scalp condition. i told you previously to use jojoba oil but now reading your entire post i am changing my reply! my niece has this same problem and what i made for her seems to be working out great. i made a peppermint spritz (1/4 cup of distilled water and 3 drops os peppermint essential oil in a spray bottle)and she sprays it on her scalp everyday(day and night). the peppermint is extremely helpful to dry scalp. I also made her glycerin spritz (very moisturizing, 1 tablespoon of vegetable glycerin (coconut derived) and 1/4 cup of distilled water in a spray bottle)she sprays this on her scalp after she sprays the peppermint spritz. she said her scalp is alot less dry and she sees alot less dry scalp, and she has only been using it for 3 weeks! i also told her to cut the shampoo from her routine and do conditioner washes and daily scalp massages. maybe this would help you out.

YuNg

I used african pride's chamomile and mint conditioner hair dress its light and it feels like someone put a crushed peppermint on your scalp or like you have a perm on your scalp. Then after a while that feeling goes away but it gets rid of most of the itching and flaking

bellydancer

Northernbelle- I think I might go back to the grease route. i was skeptical about the relaxed and natural line because the regular shampoo left a big lump of grease in my cousins hair! The second ingredient in the shampoo was petroleum! I'll have to check out the ingredients on this one.

SingingStar- where do you get tee tree shampoo? I heard it tingles. I like stuff like that.

Supergirl- I used that at one point in time with rosemary oil and lavender oil. I kept walking around wiping oil off my face! Lol maybe I used too much? Lol well it helped but I think I need something a little heavier because I still had those stupid stubborn patches.

Trutodis- I’m willing to try that. Daily conditioner washes did help a lot! But my hair got too tangled when I did it daily. Now I do it every 2-3 days. Any less and I’d scratch a hole in my skull!

Yung- lol I like the way you described that. A crushed peppermint? Ooh la la. That tingly stuff does take away the itching.

Thanks everybody. My next goal is to take care of my scalp because it’s getting to be pretty unbearable.

Bobbie

I agree, it could be excema or psoriasis. I have the same itchy problem, and the dermatologist confirmed it.

bellydancer

Dang. next time i go to the dermatologist i'll tell him about that. That won't be until june tho. dang! i don kno if i can take it til then!!!

Karonica

Frequently using water on my hair and scalp helps rid me of this problem, for some reason.

bellydancer

my doctor put me on all these vitamins for my skin. Flaxseed, Fish oil, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Evening Primrose Oil. I hope those work. Whenever i get some money i'll go buy those! it sucks being broke!
I read that a tar based shampoo works but i keep reading about tar causing cancer or something like that.

spanishteardrops

Always follow your heart

I used to get dry patches on the front hair line all the time but I bought Neutrogena t-gel for dandruff. The only thing was it smelled real nasty but I didn't care at least I wasn't scratching my head all day
Once in a blue moon do I get a patch of dry skin but its usually at the end of the week when its time for a washing. The main ingredient was tar.

BMoreFlyy

I guess like some of the others said you could see a dermatologist just in case it is more serious than the average case of bad dandruff. But I was having a drandruff problem and my mom( she's a hairdresser) put me on KeraCare's Dry & Itchy scalp system. The glossifier that comes with it has really helped me, I haven't started using the shampoo and the conditioner yet, but I will on my next wash.