I did protective styles for 8 months...I'm ready to let my hair down! (I have a ??)

MissFallon

I started my protective style mid-December and have only worn my hair down or not in a protective style one time (this past weekend). B4 I started the challenge i always wore my hair down and never had a problem with my ends getting frizzy or splitting. However this past weekend I tried wearing my hair down in a rollerset and my ends got frizzy and hair poofed up. Last summer when I wore it down I didn't have this problem but that was when I used other products. Also, I'm scared that my ends are going to break and all of my progress is going to go down the drain. So....

What do you do to keep your ends and the rest of your hair moisturized?

What do you do to keep your ends from getting frizzy?

I dont care if my ends get weighed down a bit as long as my hair stays straight. (I like stick straight like in my avatar, I can't stand curls at the end, maybe a bump)

I currently only use Citre Shine Anti-Frizz Serum but I have to keep reapplying to keep my ends looking the way I want, and to keep my hair from getting dry.

MissFallon

Re: I did protective styles for 8 months...I'm ready to let my hair down! (I have a ?

Will the surge keep it moisturized during the whole day?

Also, I forgot to add that when I would rollerset and sit under the dryer I wouldn't really need a moisturizer but now that I airdry the rollerset I need something...maybe I just need to seal the moisture? I'm not sure...I just know my hair gets poofy when I go outside after airdrying in rollers. I used to just use an oil mix I made and it worked good but I'm trying to use a real moisturizer now.

HoneyDew

I feel like such a pusher, but try an ampoule of Fermodyl 619 (the yellow one) as a leave-in just one time on clarified hair BEFORE you apply your serum and/or creamy leave in etc.

Girl that stuff has done wonders for my ends. I skipped it last week, trying to be cheap and my ends were cuttin' up!

Massage it in so that you hair absorbs it. Not too much of it should be dripping, that's why you should clarify 1st.

lexi08

Re: I did protective styles for 8 months...I'm ready to let my hair down! (I have a ?

HoneyDew said:
I feel like such a pusher, but try an ampoule of Fermodyl 619 (the yellow one) as a leave-in just one time on clarified hair BEFORE you apply your serum and/or creamy leave in etc.

Girl that stuff has done wonders for my ends. I skipped it last week, trying to be cheap and my ends were cuttin' up!

Massage it in so that you hair absorbs it. Not too much of it should be dripping, that's why you should clarify 1st.

Hey Honeydew, I was thinking of trying this Fermodyl treatment for my ends. Is this a moisturizing treatment? or does it have protein in it. Is this something that can be used once a week? I think I remember you mentioning using this on your moms hair in another thread.

HoneyDew

nikki1971 said:
Hey Honeydew, I was thinking of trying this Fermodyl treatment for my ends. Is this a moisturizing treatment? or does it have protein in it. Is this something that can be used once a week? I think I remember you mentioning using this on your moms hair in another thread.

The 619 has no protein and is my fav. 619 extra strength and 233 (my other favs) have protein. I alternate between the 619 and 233 bi weekly. There is also the Special one that I use because I got a dozen of them on ebay for $5. That one has no protein.

Don't let the decriptions they give deter you from trying the different formulas. Like the Special is for waved hair. I still use it and it is fine for my hair.

lexi08

HoneyDew said:
The 619 has no protein and is my fav. 619 extra strength and 233 (my other favs) have protein. I alternate between the 619 and 233 bi weekly. There is also the Special one that I use because I got a dozen of them on ebay for $5. That one has no protein.

Don't let the decriptions they give deter you from trying the different formulas. Like the Special is for waved hair. I still use it and it is fine for my hair.

Thanks for the info!!!

MissFallon

I've used this...workd like my regular leave in.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Can u please share what protective styles u were doing and when u started? I'm starting to do more extensive research.

MissFallon

DDtexlaxd said:
Can u please share what protective styles u were doing and when u started? I'm starting to do more extensive research.

When I first started doing protective styles I wasn't a part of the board but had just cut my hair to shoulder length from BSL so in all truth I was embarrassed about my hair and was wearing phony ponies. Then in march when I discovered that this was a "protective style" I continued to do this wearing a variety of phony ponies or half wigs every so often. I basically would moisturize my hair put it in a bun and then put the ponytail on top (I had about 10-15). I joined BHM first and saw that there was a member who put a the sock part of the stocking on the bun to protect the hair even more so I started doing that. She also did the baggie method under the stocking but I tried it once and it wasn't for me. When my hair started to grow I figured stick to what works best and I started just wearing the straight ponytail wrapped around in a bun instead of my usual curly one. At night I would just take off the ponytail put some oil on my hair (my hair only likes oils to seal in the moisture already there) and then put a scarf on, and then put the ponytail on again the next day. I ordered clip-on extensions in April so I have worn my hair down 2 times with those (once in April and once in June). I also tried the sock bun but I could never get the bun big enough for my taste and my ends would always end up looking a mess.