I don't ever want to trim again...

MizaniMami

I am serious about this.

I think I can go atleast a year without trimming. Every since I cut that 2-3 inches off and I am obstaining from heat I think this is very possible. What is the longest time that you went without trimming?

I just don't understand why we are raised thinking that you HAVE to trim you hair every __ weeks. I certainly don't beleive that now.

secretdiamond

No, of course you don't HAVE to trim on a set schedule. But I also think it just as important not to abstain from trimming on a set schedule (i.e. not trimming/dusting for 'x' amount of time even when there may be splits or thinning ends).

Trim when it's necessary, with the word necessary being the key word. If 3 months pass by and you see splits & thinning ends, trim/dust them. If 2 years goes by, then trim/dust then.

The longest I went was recently and that was 8 months. I didn't plan to go that long, but I am happy that my ends held up. I, personally, will trim any single split hair the moment I see it. But all over trims are far less frequent. JMO

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Mizani I really believe if you have cut out the heat, wear protective styles and keep your ends moisturized you can go a year without trimming. The longest I've ever gone has been a year. I did all the things listed above and dusted as needed.

MizaniMami

simplycee said:
Mizani I really believe if you have cut out the heat, wear protective styles and keep your ends moisturized you can go a year without trimming. The longest I've ever gone has been a year. I did all the things listed above and dusted as needed.

How often do you use heat?

I plan on using heat every 2 mos which is six times a year (I'll give myself 2 extra times for emergencies, so about 8 times a year).

I think i can do it if I take really good care of my hair. Of course I will dust if I see a split end of two, but hell, I'm tired of mediocre length hair.

Isis

I haven't trimmed in the last 3 years. I did cut whatever split ends I could find (which were very, very few) a few days ago (an S & D) but no trimming. :)

ETA: There is a long but interesting recent thread about ladies not trimming on the LHC board.

Last edited:

Candy_C

Isis said:
I haven't trimmed in the last 3 years. I did cut whatever split ends I could find (which were very, very few) a few days ago (an S & D) but no trimming. :)

ETA: There is a long but interesting recent thread about ladies not trimming on the LHC board.

thats excellent! i also do s+d

i haven't trimmed for a year and 2 months (14months) my ends have never been thicker, stronger or as split-breakage free!!! SEARCH AND DESTROY IS THE WAY 2 GO, I WISH MORE PEOPLE knew about this!!!!!!!

LipGlassHoney

I just trim whenever it's needed. Last year I only trimmed twice and there have been times where I went a whole year and others where I didn't do something right and I needed a trim after a couple of months.

Cichelle

I haven't trimmed since I did the b/c almost a year ago. I have no plans on trimming any time soon. Next summer I might get a small cut to start evening up the layers I have in my hair. But as far as regular trimming, I don't do it and won't do it.

MizaniMami

Isis said:

That's where I thought about this subject! I think about them and how they are so carefree about trimming, but in my community everyone is so quick to trim.

Ah, I'll just stop talking about it and be about it, no trimming for me. Just S&D

meia

i haven't actually trimmed probably for 6-7 months and that was entirely AGAINST MY WILL. the stylist diobeyed me and chopped away my hair saying it helps my hair grow- i don't simply believe how cutting hair from the bottom of your head stimulates growth at the roots...or maybe i'm just missing something...

the longest i've honestly gone without trimming is probably 8 years...seriously. i had a twa when i was 8 or 9 after a haircut gone wrong and since then i've become maniacal when it comes to cutting my hair...it took me 8 years to get it to shoulder length because my hair grows so slowly....and i didn't start the s+d cutting until a year or two ago...my hair has splits i'm sure, but my hair is so thick and curly (especially since im a year or so into my transition) i can't usually tell. they used to be worse about 6 years ago...terrible even, but i've since taken better care of my hair and have attempted to stop it from happening....but i do actually carry around a pair of scissors with me to attack them when i see them! :grin:

YellowButterfly

Hairdressers get more money when they trim your ends and even more so when they cut your hair which is why I believe you can go to some people for a trim and come out with an actual hair cut or more off than you wanted to in order to justify charging for a cut. Ever notice how much cheaper (even it it is only five or so dollars) your bill is if you tell them not to cut your hair. This is something I believe they teach them in school to increase their income. Like doing a double process with a short-cut and color because that is a higher maintence style so the client comes more often. I have had one hairdresser tell me you did not need to cut your hair and she and her kids along with most of her patrons had really long hair. I was young and skeptical because I had never heard this philosophy before. I am a believer now.
Another hairdresser told me that certain hairdressers cut people's hair alot because if you cut the hair it always looks good , therefore , preserving the stylist name after she mentioned that a person we knew mutually had fast growing hair but her stylist would always cut it off. I have begun getting my hair lightly dusted only 2 to 3 times a year and it has gained length and thickness surprisingly, something that all those years of frequent trims were suppose to do but never accomplished on my medium -fine textured but thick in density hair.

SleekandBouncy

secretdiamond said:
No, of course you don't HAVE to trim on a set schedule. But I also think it just as important not to abstain from trimming on a set schedule (i.e. not trimming/dusting for 'x' amount of time even when there may be splits or thinning ends).

Trim when it's necessary, with the word necessary being the key word. If 3 months pass by and you see splits & thinning ends, trim/dust them. If 2 years goes by, then trim/dust then.

The longest I went was recently and that was 8 months. I didn't plan to go that long, but I am happy that my ends held up. I, personally, will trim any single split hair the moment I see it. But all over trims are far less frequent. JMO

I agree! My hair is bra strap length now (I gotta update my pics) and I trim when necessary even though I don't have split ends because hair can grow in an uneven pattern.
Last year my SO told me, I love you but your ends look uneven & thin and it ruines your whole look (honestly my ends look nasty). I started looking around at blk ladies with bangin' hair and sure enough they had smooth, even and thick ends. I chopped off 3" of thin, straggly ends and the next day everyone was complimenting me on my hair, since then I get a professional cut with slight layers around my face once or twice a yr and I dust my ends if they get thin or uneven.

peacelove

MizaniMami said:
I am serious about this.

I think I can go atleast a year without trimming. Every since I cut that 2-3 inches off and I am obstaining from heat I think this is very possible. What is the longest time that you went without trimming?

I just don't understand why we are raised thinking that you HAVE to trim you hair every __ weeks. I certainly don't beleive that now.

Well I went too long and got split ends. Since my trim my hair feels and behaves much better and feels so much fuller and healthier. But I can go a good 3 to 4 months without problems. Past that I usually get into trouble.

KiniKakes

ITA.

I dust only on an as-needed basis..... and meanwhile I protect my ends and keep the hair moisturized. This eliminates the need for constant trimming.

lana

Well I haven't trimmed in 3 months. I'm worried about what my ends will look like when I take this sew in out. I am going to let them take it out at the salon but I have to look at my own ends before I decide if I'll let my stylist trim them. I want to see some length. My hair has been growing. I don't want to cut all that hair off for no reason.

I'm so glad to hear you guys say this b/c I was feeling guilty for not having gotten a trim in 4 months and even then, I just got one b/c I felt that I needed to.

SandySea

I think that I can go about 6 months without a trim. I recently let someone trim my hair at my first visit to her salon because she won my trust. It had been over 6 months since my last trim and my hair was growing lop-sided. She combed my hair down while wet and pointed out the fact that my left side was out-pacing the right. We negotiated about how much she would cut, and she gave me a great trim that really brought my hair back to life without sacrificing much length. I didn't have to be paranoid about my uneven hair, and it was much easier to style. After this experience, I won't be so afraid to trim my hair.

MizAvalon

When I was natural, I didn't trim my hair for several years. I didn't use heat EVER during that entire time though and my hair was ALWAYS protected.

Now that I am back to perming, I trim once a year and my hair is fine. As long as your ends are protected and your heat use is minimal, you can probably go a pretty long time without a trim.