How many of you trim regularly like your supposed to?

ScandalousBeauty

I am really bad at getting my hair trimmed, and I know I am supposed to get it done every 8 weeks or something like that. So, how many of you trim regularly and do you think that trimming regularly is as effective as they say?

LilChocolateMa said:
I am really bad at getting my hair trimmed, and I know I am supposed to get it done every 8 weeks or something like that. So, how many of you trim regularly and do you think that trimming regularly is as effective as they say?
I trim about 3x per year! It just looks neater. I like even ends.

There is no 'regular' trimming schedule, it's just what is comfortable for you. Some women here only trim once a year!

Try doing a search, this has been discussed a lot.

I trim 1/8 of an inch every 2 weeks.

I've been thinking that this may be too much. 1/4 of an inch a month... it adds up to three inches a year.

but, if I don't I develop splits and my hair won't budge an inch.

I guess it's regular. Each time i get a relaxer my dresser trims about 1/4 of an inch to keep the curls neat.

Hmm.. I just decided to trim 1/4 of an inch month now. I've been taking off too much hair.

It's funny though, my hair has grown about 3 1/2 inches since february... even with all the trimming!

Twice a year - July and December - that's it---that every 6-8 weeks trimming kept me at chin length forever and a day. My former "hairdresser" was "cutting" my hair everytime instead of "trimming / dusting". I had a major deep trim on July 4th by a Master Artistic Designer for Bubbles Hair Salons / CIBU Hair Products. My hair will not see scissors again until late December. Profectiv Healthy Ends and Carrot Oil are my ends best friends ! :)

I just trimmed my hair today after 2 years of no trimming, it was definately needed...but I still HATE trimming! I think I may start trimming every 4 months.

trims should be done as needed,If you have to relaxe then you should trim to maintain
astyle if you want to grow hair out then only if there is damage to the ends. healthy hair should be left alone if not damaged. You can grow 6 in. in a year if you maintain
a healthy program.

I normally get my hair washed, pressed, and curled every 2 months, so yeah, I used to get my hair trimmed "regularly". My stylist trims my hair after every wash, press, and curl…I don’t even ask for it sometimes! :ohwell: However, I don’t think it’s been beneficial for my hair besides helping my curls hold better, making my layers look more defined, and the overall look/health of my ends. I’ve since stopped getting my hair trimmed, whether I want it or not, so that I can grow my hair out. It seemed like every time I made a little bit of progress it wound up on the floor of the beauty salon. I’ll probably get my next trim/cut sometime in April 2006 when I cut off my relaxed ends!

Last edited:
angellazette said:
I don't have a trimming schedule. I do it when I see or feel that my ends are getting bad.

Same here......only if I see some split ends or if my ends are uneven.

I havent trimmed since January...so I dont know if its helping or hurting my hair. I want to see how my ends look after a full year of not trimming so I can decide if more frequent trimming is for me or not. If goes as expected I may only take off a half an inch.

My hairsylist usually "dusts" my ends every other relaxer, so that would be once about every 6 months or so.

Porsche, sounds like way too much trimming. How often are you moisturizing those ends? Keeping them extra moist keeps the splitting down, I know the BAGGIE METHOD did wonders for me and my daughter, my ends have never stayed so moisturized and I don't do it everyday. The other days I just rub mago butter mixed w/ EVOO on my ends 2x's a day. But you know your hair better than I do. :look: Also trimming should be done on an as needed basis, so if your trying to retain your length, keep thoses ends extra moisturized.HHG
Porsche19 said:
I trim 1/8 of an inch every 2 weeks.

I've been thinking that this may be too much. 1/4 of an inch a month... it adds up to three inches a year.

but, if I don't I develop splits and my hair won't budge an inch.

LilChocolateMa said:

I trim as needed basically. When the ends of my twists look bad, they have to go. Otherwise I normally go every 8-15 weeks in between trims, or again "as needed". I won't sacrifice my healthy hair to keep raggedy ends on it. NO WAY! Besides, sometimes I see split ends, and as you know the only way to get rid of them, and to keep them from getting worse, is to cut em off :)

I trim regularly every 8 to 10 weeks. No questions from me, it MUST be done. I can't do the trim streching thing. Tried it before and my ends started looking busted up. :mad: IMO, trimming is a necessary evil- much like taxes and Tucker Carlson. :lol:

I just had my big chop in May 2005 but I normally trim once or twice per year because I keep my ends is top condition, ie. plastic baggie method, excessive leave-in's concentrating on my ends, etc. I try to keep my ends super-moist! :)

Tami said:
My hairstylist usually "dusts" my ends every other relaxer, so that would be once about every 6 months or so.

I think I might try this. Im finally having my relaxer done tommorrow and was debating on if I was getting a trim because I get one every relaxer which is every 8-10 for me and my ends look the same every time straggly when its perm time.

Lucia said:
I trimm, every3-4 months or so and I try to follow the full moon calandar

:cheers:
I too follow the full moon calendar. I trim every other month..depending on the condition of my ends to dust. I may cut back though to 2 to 3 times a year. :grin:

I think that it depends on how you wear your hair. If you blowdry your hair often and use a lot of heat, your ends will get raggedy faster than someone who wears protective styles most of the time which means that you probably should trim more often. On the other hand, if your hair is constantly protected, you are not doing anything to damage the ends and will not need to trim very often. Personally I don't believe in getting scheduled trims and almost had fight my EX-hairdresser about this. If my ends don't look bad then I see no reason to cut/trim them. JMHO

I've been keeping up with my trims because I color my hair and because my hair grows unevenly. I like the feel of freshly trimmed ends.

I had one done in April and just had another in August. The one in April, the lady took of waaaaaay more than I had expected, so I grumbled and squirmed nonstop during my last trim. This time only had half an inch taken off. I gotta admit, my ends look healthier and neater.

I dust my ends every 6 weeks, or when needed, it keeps my hair even and healthier. I am also reaping the benefits of thicker hair with hardly any split ends, I am also retaining more length then ever.

MeechUK

I trim when my ends look bad. So far this year, that's been twice. If I was still relaxing it would have been more, or I would have had more trimmed off each time.

Maybe 'dustings' would prevent the bad ends, but I can't be bothered with regular trimmings.

Back