I don't like that video about that child with long hair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neith

StillGrowing said:
I must be confused about what long hair is because I see black women with long hair all the time lol. But I guess it depends on where you live.[/QUOTE]

And what you consider long. :yep: I know alot of us have two different measuring sticks for black women, and women of other races.

I agree with some of the others, we really are the last ones who need to be talking about people being obsessed. I mean, for real y'all . . . just look at us. :look: (Well some of us more than others-- but we're all here and we PAID, so we're all in the same lil boat) :lachen: We've all taken hair to a whole nother level just by virtue of the fact that we're here. And posting. About this. :lachen:

That's true. When I say long, I mean BSL or longer.

I see a good amount (maybe 10 - 15) of shoulder to APL lengths. Not that shoulder or APL can't be impressive...

ScarletPhoenix

I believe that we all have our right to our opinion but I enjoyed the pictures/video of the young girls hair reminds me of what my hair used to look like when I was young. It seems to me that people will find something negative in everything and that this negative attitude toward these videos is seriously misplaced. I don't see how one can think that because this mother shows pride in her daughters hair that it can be perceived that she is not showing her the importance of other values as well. Like I said everyone is entitled to their opinion but I believe that this conclusion was jumped to too soon.

My mother always taught me to take care of myself and to look presentable and she did that by showing me how to take care of my hair, my clothes, eating right, etc. I am not the thinnest chick by any means but because my mother took pride in one aspect doesn't mean she wasn't teaching me right in all other aspects either.

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Maybe it's when I give lectures on health and fitness in the AA community and one of the number one obstacles for exercising is their hair. I hear it all the time.

Wake up call...not all AA women care if they "sweat out their roots". :rolleyes: If you don't know, that's an African American term when our flat ironed or pressed hair gets wet and becomes frizzy or returns to it's natural curly state. Even if those particular African American women are saying so, that's an excuse for them not wanting to exercise. I don't care how much you care about your hair, if you truly want to stay healthy, you will do what's necessary. Unfortunately, the fact is many people find it difficult or lack self discipline to continuously eat right and/or be phisically active...that is a worldwide issue, not only found in the AA community. Moreover, many people lack the motivation to start a fitness program and stick with it long enough to see results. Also, just because you happen to not be a size 2, doesn't mean you're not healthy either. I'd rather have a couple of rolls around my waist and be healthy than filled up with lung cancer cause I chain smoked for 20 years...but it would be fine if they were skinny and was on a low carb diet, right?

I think you should take a look at the Health and Fitness Forum on this website and maybe you'll be enlightened somewhat to the amount of AA women who live a healthy lifestyle.

kennedy1

KIKI
Let me add that I am only saying I would not personally put my child on you tube about her hair... I am a member of the site and it is good to get different insights on what works for all types of hair.

fluffylocks

In some cases, yes...

but honestly if I had to pick between being a really obese person with gorgeous hair or being pretty and thin or average sized with tore up hair, I'd be thin!

Some women DO avoid exercise when they have their hair freshly done, but it is really low on the totem pole for reasons black women are fat.

Most people who don't exercise do it for other reasons... a big one is sheer laziness.

If an unhealthy hair obsession in black women was the main cause of widespread obesity, then other races of women wouldn't have a problem with obesity... which is not the case. The American population (and other countries) as a whole has a BIG problem with obesity.

Oh yes i agree. I just said that most women have their hair as a top priortiy (or maybe i should have said their hair is really important to them) because she said one of the "number one obstacles for exercising is their hair" concerning black women.
I think if a black women is excercising, its normal for her hair to be something she is concerned about...especially considering most of us dont know that much about hair and think it shouldnt be washed that much and excercising is usually going to leave you with hair that needs washing.

I think just about any women trys to take some steps in looking after their hair and other races of women probally have a solid regimen/know what to do with their hair after excercing.

jamaraa

And what you consider long. :yep: I know alot of us have two different measuring sticks for black women, and women of other races.

Or how about natural African textured hair against all others including relaxed African textured hair? Natural African textured hair hides length. I know when I see a natural, the hair is AT LEAST 2-3x as long as it looks and even more. If you look at it that way, there are MANY people of African descent w/ VERY long hair...including men.

It's not that you need two different measuring sticks, per se.....you have take into account that African texture hides length because of the curl along the shaft. If you know what you're looking for, you see plenty of very long hair, just doesn't "hang" in the same way relaxed or non African textured hair does.

Nice & Wavy

Maybe it's when I give lectures on health and fitness in the AA community and one of the number one obstacles for exercising is their hair. I hear it all the time.

Oh, ok. Then, you are talking to many of us on LHCF then. :ohwell:

There are thin women who have a problem with their hair too when they exercise. AA women aren't able to go into the shower right after they finish pumping iron and wash and blowdry their hair like caucasian women can, before they go home to their husbands or SO's, unless they are naturally curly. I can't stand when there is sweat in my hair after working out, so I can only imagine how those ladies may feel after exercising and they just paid alot of money to get their hair done. Not everyone have money to blow 2-3 times a week because they exercise.

kennedy1

KIKI
I am so done with this post because it is going too far to the left for me... The girls hair was beautiful would I do that with my child no! Was it informative I beleive it was just showing her hair but I am bowing out because adding the weight comments in with it just does not mesh well with me... NOT COOL!:nono:

SparklingFlame

Look on page 8 of this thread...I posted her links there.
Thanks for the links.

OK. Here we go.

Ya'll know that her hair lengh is to die for. 95% of the women on here would KILL for her hair.

OP, I dont know where you are coming from but I sense maybe you want her hair. Sorry. Thats what I think, I could be wrong.

That girls hair is awesome and I'd take it!!!

But yeah OP, arent you a paying member of a LONG hair care forum?

Isnt that what you want?

stixx

I haven't read through this thread yet, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who found that video embarassing to watch. Maybe it's an american thing. I don't understand the motivation behind it at all. If you want to show off your child's hair, fine, but if you have so much of an inferiority complex that you think the hair should be notable just because of the colour of the girl's skin...that's sad.

Sistaslick

Thanks for the links.

OK. Here we go.

Ya'll know that her hair lengh is to die for. 95% of the women on here would KILL for her hair.

OP, I dont know where you are coming from but I sense maybe you want her hair. Sorry. Thats what I think, I could be wrong.

That girls hair is awesome and I'd take it!!!

But yeah OP, arent you a paying member of a LONG hair care forum?

Isnt that what you want?

Umm, After you pry it from my hot moisturized scalp. :lachen:

SparklingFlame

I haven't read through this thread yet, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who found that video embarassing to watch. Maybe it's an american thing. I don't understand the motivation behind it at all. If you want to show off your child's hair, fine, but if you have so much of an inferiority complex that you think the hair should be notable just because of the colour of the girl's skin...that's sad.
I dont know the videos intent for certain but I imagine it was done to dispell the myth that our hair wont/cant grow. After all she did give tips and her regiman. Isnt that what we do here?

Sistaslick

Hold up now . . . why it gotta be an American thing? :lachen: We just can't win. :lachen:

longhaircraver

I understand what you are saying but i think as long as they teach her that her hair is not her only quality, not to bost or brag, to be thankful to GOD, and to pray that others can achieve it, I think she will be OK.

bbdgirl

I'm from NYC.

Black women with long hair are a rarity... not as if they don't exist, but you don't walk on the street and see everyone with beautiful, long hair.

Many women are weaved up and just tore up in the head. A good number have bad hair practices, but decent hair when it comes to length and health... but to see someone with very healthy, very long hair is not all that common.

On the average day I only see two or three black women who are "lhcf worthy"

this is true. If so many blk women had LHCF worthy long hair, blk women wouldnt be so obsessed with hair, long hair, and/or "good hair". We would stop buying up all the weave from the BSSs.

Energist

Wow, I didn't see anything wrong with the video. She wasn't only showing her child's hair off, she showed us how she cares for it. I think it was an encouraging video to those young or older Black women who may have a low self esteem or not realize that Black hair can grow. I think this is why she stated that the child was African American, because knowing that does make a difference. I think the idea would be taken less seriously had the mother said Cuban, Brazilian or anything else. I think it was positive!

Also, I don't find anything wrong with Black women trying to self improve or perhaps help others self improve. How many times do you find Black women outside with tore up hair, bald edges or just fitting into the horrible stereotype about "typical Black hair?" I mean, I am glad that there are as many Black video and hair sites as there are, I wish there were more :ohwell:

leona2025

I understand what you are saying but i think as long as they teach her that her hair is not her only quality, not to bost or brag, to be thankful to GOD, and to pray that others can achieve it, I think she will be OK.

What I don't get is why everyone immediately assumes they haven't taught her that?:nono: Does taking pride and sharing knowledge about your hair mean you are automaticly lacking in other areas?

Neith

Long hair is prized in almost every culture! It's not an American thing or a black thing.

There are MANY, many vids of Asian, Indian/Middle Eastern and white women on youtube. In fact there are WAY more long hair vids of those races than of black people. Do they have an inferiority complex?

Just punch in long hair in the search bar on you tube and you'll see it.

Long hair is notable in anyone... but for black people (imo) it's a little bit more special because you see long, healthy hair less often.

AllAboutTheHair

I think it was a wonderful video, and very informative. Melted vaseline, who would have thought of it? I think her tips are very very helpful, even if they don't work for everyone...the fact that she is not being selfish and withholding information is to be commended and not criticized.:nono:

blkbeauty

I live in Manhattan :lol:

I dunno... yeah, there are women with really nice hair, but I don't see them everytime I turn my head. Regardless of age.

Where are you going where you see a lot of black women with nice hair all in the same place? Not joking... I would enjoy seeing it! :)

The widely known stereotype of black women not being able to have long/nice hair didn't pop up from nowhere.

No. But I have seen a dramatic change in the health of our hair within the past 7 yrs. I can tell you plenty of places. For one, my job. Five out of the 6 blk women co-workers have atleast APL hair, also I have worked for 2 Universities. One in DC and the other in MD and the black women hair were gorgeous.

Neith

No. But I have seen a dramatic change in the health of our hair within the past 7 yrs. I can tell you plenty of places. For one, my job. Five out of the 6 blk women co-workers have atleast APL hair, also I have worked for 2 Universities. One in DC and the other in MD and the black women hair were gorgeous.

At my job there were 5 black women, including me. Only 1 had apl length hair. No one else was below shoulder. Only 2 had reasonably healthy hair. The other 3 were weaved/had varying levels of hair and scalp damage.

That has basically been my lifelong experience. Weave, extensions, damaged hair is the majority. Healthy long hair DOES exist, but it is sadly not as common as seeing damaged, short hair.

Even to the days way back in elementary school, there were only a few girls with long hair in class.

I dunno why we have such different experiences... but I am being completely honest. I would love for it to be different!

Rain20

I understand the OP's view. There is a health crisis in the AA community with obesity being a risk factor for other health issues ex arthritis, heart disease, HTN and DM. Everyone probably has been hearing about the epidemic among children and teens as well. I am not saying this video is contributing to obesity but there are many that focus on material or superficial things ex. $800 lacefronts and weaving hair or buying expensive things and will put health last.(I think healthy hair is important too.) Some people will make sure hair and nails are done but wont pay $40 dollars copay and have their yearly breast and pap smear(this is just an example). I am guilty of putting hair 1st sometimes when I shouldn't. How many conditioners do I really need or how many growth aides can I really use at one time I think that this was the direction the OP was going not literally blaming this little girl for all AA obesity. If I have misinterpreted the OPs original idea, hopefully she will correct me.

Last edited:

Neith

I understand the OP view. There is a health crisis in the AA community with obesity being a risk factor for other health issues ex arthritis, HTN and DM. Everyone probably has been hearing about the epidemic among children and teens as well. I am not saying this video is contributing to obesity but having our focus on material or superficial things ex. $800 lacefront and weaving hair or buying expensive things and putting our health last. Some people will make sure hair and nails are done but wont pay $40 dollars copay and have their yearly breast and pap smear (this is just an example). I think that this was the direction the OP was going not literally blaming this little girl for all AA obesity. If I have misinterpreted the OPs original idea, hopefully she will correct me.

I find your posting to be less of an attack and much more rational.

I also will have to disagree... being superficial and spending tons of money on looks and ignoring health is not a "black thing" - imo!

Status
Not open for further replies.