I don't think I'm a 4B after all!!?!?!

L.Mo.

I don\'t think I\'m a 4B after all!!?!?!

All this time I've been defining myself as "4B". Well now, 10 weeks post relaxer, I'm seeing that none of my new-growth has a "Z" pattern. It is all tightly coiled, with looser coils at the back. At my temples, I have cute little perfectly coiled, springy sections.

I guess my hair has never "grown out" long enough for me to know my hair type. Has this happened to anyone else? If I post pictures of my new growth, can you help me define my hair type?

jainygirl

Re: I don\'t think I\'m a 4B after all!!?!?!

yeah, this happened to me while i was stretching out my relaxer
it's nice finding out what your real natural texture looks like
enjoy the new discoveries you will make each day
---jainygirl

brittanynic16

Yeap! I use to think that too. Then I realized that my hair is similar to what you have discribed. When I found this out it made me sad that I had me relaxed so long that I didn't even know what my hair was like. But, it is all I ever knew. Now that I know what it is like, I love it and I that is why I am going natural.

L.Mo.

Brittanynic, you're going natural?! Congrats! I see this is a recent decision for you. Good luck!

You are right, I'm now thinking, "Wow, look at my nice curly hair...". I thought... "Hmmm... I wonder what it would be like if I went natural". I'm interested in your progress... you may inspire me to follow in your footsteps!

brittanynic16

Yep, I am going to have a big natural bush. Feel free to visit my ablum. If you want, I could give you the links of many other naturals that have inspired me.

ChocolateCutee

Hi there, I am have 4b hair but my hair has not got this zig zag pattern that you describe. What I have noticed since being natural that the typing system is not large enough to describe african hair. there are many veriations in 4a/b hair. My hair sounds like yours.

whatever your hair type look after it. Natural does not mean that you shouldn't treat it with care.

take care!

aqualung

I thought I was 4b until someone pm'd me about the coils vs. Zs delineation. *shrug*

From the perspective of a self-relaxer, I don't think these coils are any easier to straighten than the z pattern. My coils grab the teeth of the comb and pull toward the scalp when they get stretched.

My stylist mentioned after the October touchup that my hair's density is awesome, and the fine texture makes the hair feel like silk once it's straightened. Then he made a snatching motion with his fist and said "But the curl pattern is so tight! It grows in tiny coils!"
(My mom thinks this is just hilarious. )

Neen

I am also confused by the typing system. I know I have 4 hair but since I did the big chop I am noticing more coils and curls, which I never knew existed. But when I see people who say their hair is 4a it doesn't look like mine. Oh, well

Isis

I think when we take care of our hair through diet, supplements, regime, etc., we notice the natural beauty of our natural hair as it comes in. My new growth looks so pretty since I started caring for my hair and I'm always touching the curls and coils.

cutebajangirl

[ QUOTE ]
ChocolateCutee said:
Hi there, I am have 4b hair but my hair has not got this zig zag pattern that you describe. What I have noticed since being natural that the typing system is not large enough to describe african hair. there are many veriations in 4a/b hair. My hair sounds like yours.

whatever your hair type look after it. Natural does not mean that you shouldn't treat it with care.

take care!

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with this , it isn't good enough, maybe we should all work towards a broader definition to help us more with product advise.

Neen

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
...I'm always touching the curls and coils.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find myself doing the same thing

aikaa71

I noticed that my new growth is wavy when I tie down with a scarf. Also my new growth at the crown has a different texture from the rest, its coily , like 4a/3c coily.

CocoaCure

Yep! This happened to me too the first time I went natural and now it's happening again now that I know the texture lingo. I've now discoved that in a mohawk down the middle of my head I'm a 3C It almost looks 3B in the crown) in the front crown and top crown, then I have a 4A path to the back, then it gets 3C again in the "kitchen". The sides are 4A and the lower back sides are also 4A. So I'm actually a 3C/4A mix, but i think I'm predominantly 4A!! About 65% 4A to 35% 3C.