I don't want to wash my hair anymore...

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I haven't washed my hair in 3 weeks. It may sound nasty to some of you, but my hair is loving it! It doesn't smell or stink, and there's no gunky buildup nor flakes since the last time I washed my hair, I only used a couple of products (moisturizer and oil). My scalp doesn't itch. My hair feels great (silkier, softer, and stronger) and looks shinier. It also doesn't break off or shed as much as when I used to wash my hair. Maybe the sebum from my scalp is really taking it's course.

I'm not sure how long this positive experience will last. If I start seeing gunky stuff or if my hair starts to smell, I will definitely wash it. ;)

Has anyone else felt this way? Has anyone else's hair benefited from not washing?

joyous

I agree my hair has benefited from less washing. Candy_C started a thread similar to this one about 5 days ago, it got a lot of responses. I bumped it up for you.

so1913

I just can't do it for hygiene reasons. I look at the hair and scalp just like I look at the rest of my body, especially if I'm using products on it that attract dirt and debris. For me, it NEEDS to be CLEAN!!! LOL! At least once a week, even if it's just antiseptic on the scalp, I think 2 weeks are ok, but anything more than that scares me, lol, I don't think I could do it.

Last edited:

Jadacrys

I wash my hair twice a week. When I start to sweat, the first place I sweat is the back of my head. Sweat is supposed to be sterile, but the minute mine mixes with product, sebum, or something I get that sweaty smell. I can't stand it. I learned recently that I can't use shampoo that often, to alternate co washes and shampoos.

Not knocking you pooh, I am sure your ends are loving it.

I am exercising twice a week (should be more :) ) commuting back and forth from work 4 hours per day (by bus), and I don't have air conditioning. My ends are suffering big time from all the shampooing.

Ok, you didn't ask for all that - -I haven't tried because I can't make it that long.:p

sugaplum

Star Shooter
I can't go tha long without co washing my hair because I work out. The longest I can go for is 1 week becuase I work out and sweat like a little piggy. :lol:

Neroli

Hi Pooh, I'd mentioned on another thread how your hair is DA BOMB and looks so shiny and healthy! Girl, whatever you'e doing is difinitely working and I say go for it. I wash once a week, but if I could get past the ichies, I'd go longer without washing 'cause I think there's something to just leaving my hair alone. I can sometimes go 2 weeks without washing, but that's not often 'cause I like a clean scalp, but I feel ya on going as long as you can so long you're comfortable . . .

Cichelle

Hey, if it works for ya, girl, then go ahead and do your thing. I couldn't go that long without washing/cowashing my hair, personally...or rather I wouldn't want to mostly for the reasons already stated by so1913. I also love the feeling of at least rinsing my hair every day. But like I said, you know what works best for your hair. And your hair looks great, btw. :)

Ayeshia

so1913 said:
I just can't do it for hygiene reasons. I look at the hair and scalp just like I look at the rest of my body, especially if I'm using products on it that attract dirt and debris. For me, it NEEDS to be CLEAN!!! LOL! At least once a week, even if it's just antiseptic on the scalp, I think 2 weeks are ok, but anything more than that scares me, lol, I don't think I could do it.
\
yeah me too...the pollutants in the hair, the hot sweaty summers, shedded skin build up on the scalp...I HAVE to do it :lol: But if its working for your hair more power to ya!

Radianthealth

Do what works for you girl...If there is one thing I learned on this board is that "everything aint for everybody"

Good Luck!!!

Can I call you NOPoohbear from now on:lol: :lol:

I know that was corny but I just couldn't help myself

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
Your hair really is looking great PB! It's obviously working 4 u.

I personally have to wash at least once a week though. If I don't, I'll start breaking out in acne bumps on my face & back. This is the same reason why I can't do CO washes either.

Poohbear

joyous said:
I agree my hair has benefited from less washing. Candy_C started a thread similar to this one about 5 days ago, it got a lot of responses. I bumped it up for you.
Yep, I saw that thread... I even posted in it. ;)

JustKiya

Poohbear: Are you doing Water Only??? I've been thinking about it, but I plan on henna'ing my hair pretty consistently over the next couple of months, and I don't think they will work well together.

I know that my hair doesn't NEED soap. Water, yes. Oil, Yes. A good massage every day, Yes. Soap - not so much.

Poohbear

SweetNic_JA said:
PoOh, what kind of moisturizer are you using? I use the SCurl in the gray bottle with the blue writing.
HEY GIRL! :blush: I didnt know you went natural! You look AWESOME in your signature pic!

I've been using Africa's Best Kid's Organics Shea Butter Detangling Moisturizing Lotion. I've only used it twice since the last time I washed my hair.

I used to use S-Curl a couple of months ago, it started making my hair too soft and too mushy causing it to be weak and break off some. :ohwell:

Poohbear

nappywomyn said:
Poohbear: Are you doing Water Only??? I've been thinking about it, but I plan on henna'ing my hair pretty consistently over the next couple of months, and I don't think they will work well together.

I know that my hair doesn't NEED soap. Water, yes. Oil, Yes. A good massage every day, Yes. Soap - not so much.
No, I tried it once and did it everyday and it made some of my hair break off, but I'm thinking about going back to it (not everyday though) once I give my hair a good shampooing and conditioning one of these days. ;)

MzOptimistic

Jadacrys said:
I wash my hair twice a week. When I start to sweat, the first place I sweat is the back of my head. Sweat is supposed to be sterile, but the minute mine mixes with product, sebum, or something I get that sweaty smell. I can't stand it. I learned recently that I can't use shampoo that often, to alternate co washes and shampoos.

Not knocking you pooh, I am sure your ends are loving it.

I am exercising twice a week (should be more :) ) commuting back and forth from work 4 hours per day (by bus), and I don't have air conditioning. My ends are suffering big time from all the shampooing.

Ok, you didn't ask for all that - -I haven't tried because I can't make it that long.:p

I read in Carolyn Gray's book that you should not shampoo your entire head down to your ends because the shampoo will dry your ends....you should concentrate on your scalp...if you are washing your hair once or twice a week...your hair should not be real dirty....since reading her book..and I follow her book to the T...my hair has grown and my ends are not dry....I never shampoo my ends or the last 4 or 5 inches for that matter...and my hair is thriving....I am not a hair expert... I am learning something new about my hair everyday....I am just sharing my regimen....