Sew-in Weave.....how do you wash your hair/scalp?

Aquamarine

Hi there!
This weekend, I'm ditching the 'freestyle' micro braids that I'm wearing and trying something different.....a full head sew in weave....with a bang, maybe.

My question is.......how should I go about washing my hair/scalp? I HAVE to wash my hair at least once a week. My scalp gets very dry and flaky within one week and I don't like the idea of having pretty hair (weave) on top and flaky, scaley, gunky scalp underneath :perplexed :ohwell: . It's easier for me to wash my hair in the shower....

---do I wash it in sections? ie, lift each part up?

btw, after every wash, I apply some type of oil to my scalp (olive or tea tree or a mix)...but perhaps that's only making the situation worse. (oil+one week= scalp gunk)

I've tried the astringent on a cottonball routine, but nothing beats shampoo and water for me.

CoCoGirl821

Bumping...I would like to know they same thing. I'm probably gonna get a sew-in in the next couple of weeks.

starfish

Hi,

I'm new here and found this site AFTER I got my sew in. My scalp usually itches so bad after I get a weave, and then I get horrible flaking. With tips I read on this site not anymore!

First, I dilute the shampoos and conditioners I use. I get a huge cup and put either the shampoo or conditioner in it, then I add water, then I mix it with my hand, and pour on my head. I can't believe how little goes a long way and this way I'm sure it's alll actually getting into my hair, not just on top of it.

I put my weave into two braids and squeeze the shampoo throughout the braids, then after I put conditioner in, I take the braids down when I rinse the conditioner out.

I oil my scalp using either emu oil, or carrot oil, or jojoba oil, then I wash it out the next day.

I exercise almost every day, so I wash and condition my hair 2x/week.

I can't WAIT to get this weave out of my head so I can start taking care of my hair, now that I know how!