I got my hair colored at an Aveda salon, and the color is coming off on my pillow!

so so chic

About a month ago, I went to an Aveda salon and got a permanent black color put on my hair. Let me first say that they charged me an extra $20 because that had to use extra dye, so I paid a total of $80. Anyways, this is a white salon, so I did not want them to style my hair (I'm natural), because I've gone there once before a few years ago to get highlights and the color was great, but the stlye was a mess. So, when she finished with my hair and rinsed me out, she towel dryed, and I told her I would just put it in a ponytail (because I was going to leave there and go to the Dominicans). When I got in the car, I was driving down the street and I decided to look in the mirror, and there was dye dripping all over my seats and clothes :eek: . I mean all over my leather seats :eek: :eek: . I mean a lot :eek::eek: :eek: . (Sorry for so much emphasis, but this is exactly how I was feeling :mad: ). So, I went back and, long story short, they rinsed me againg and the stylist came out to my car with some dye remover or something and wiped and wiped until it came up. Ok...my problem now is that my pillow case and all of my scarfs have black dye on them. This is a quick overview of what I've been doing to my hair: I co-wash about twice a week, put some NTM leave-in on and then some oil. I poo once a week with CON and twice w/ garlic shampoo. I usually wash at night and then bun and baggie, put on two scarfs and go to bed ( so my hair is damp). Should any of this cause dye to be ALL over my pillow case. Also, when i poo, i don't notice any dye coming out then, nor on the towel.
Last thing, I called the salon today and they want me to come is so they can poo and put a white towel on my head to see what happens. I know nothing is going to come off on the towel. What should I do? I told her I wash my hair about 1-2xs a week. I didn't want to go into detail about all of the stuff I do. Should I? What exactly should I do and tell these people?

somebody....anybody, please :( . I just want to know the best way to approach this situation, I'm going to the salon in about 2 hrs. If you ladies think that I'm having this problem because of something I've done, please let me know, before I go in there thinking its something they've done wrong.

I'm sorry I don't know anything about dyes, but I've never heard of anyone having this type of trouble. I don't think its something that you've done wrong. I think it's the dye or their technique. They could have left an important ingredient or step out.

Last edited:
I'm sorry this happened to you. I don't have much experience in this department...but I would explain to them what happened. Aveda is supposed to be very reputable so they should offer you some sort of compensation.

I don't know much about dyes either as I've never had one done, but it doesn't sound right. I think you should go there, be very very calm and explain the situation (take your pillow cases, towels, etc. as evidence) and remind them that you returned almost immediately after leaving the salon (show them your stained leather seats) and ask for a full refund of your money or full credit for products for additional services. If you don't get complete satisfaction, start documenting everything in writing, get pictures of your car stains, document your visit and why you're not satisfy and then threatend (okay, inform them) that you intend to write or email their manager with copies to their corporate headquarters and if that doesn't work, then actually DO write or email the manager and copy headquarters. As an attorney, that's how I would start . . .

I don't know what can be done to remedy it. But I know it's not right. I've been using permanent color since I was 14 years old and I've never once had this issue. But then again I rarely use darker colors.

I would tell you to clarify a lot to get the dye out of your hair, but that's not what you're looking for.

It was their technique. I had this happen to me with a cellophane rinse. It bleed on my clothes and pillows even when my hair wasn't wet. They missed a step after rinsing the color out to seal the color. I can't remember exactly what it is but my hairdresser told me this a few years ago after I told her about the bad rinse I had gotten.

Sorry I couldn't be more help

I have never colored my hair before but if I were you I would tell them exactly what you did to your hair in between visits. I don't think that this is the result of something that you are doing but they know their products best and might be able to let you know if something you used caused reacted poorly with their color (though given the fact that you had to come back to shop moments after you left I doubt highly doubt it). I would also bring the pillowcase so that they can see what you are talking about especially since you don't think any dye is going to show up on the towel.

If you have time you might want to do a quick google search on Aveda color and see if you can find any negative reviews that might shed light on your situation just so you can be better prepared if they try to give you the run around.

I am so sorry this happened to you. I hope it all works out well. Keep us
posted:)

Sorry I wasn't able to see this sooner. It sounds to me like no developer was used to deposit your color, plus as a natural, your hair is probably not very porous, which means your hair won't readily accept the color. If a developer was used, it may have been too weak (ie., 10 vol. instead of 20 vol). Barring or in addition to that, your hair's cuticle may not have been sufficiently sealed after color to keep the color from leaching out. Come back and let us know how it all turned out.

Last edited:
balisi, is not using a developer, is that somehow damaging to her hair? If so, you need to be sure that they give you suitable compensation for the damage that they did. If they are color experts, then they need to take full responsibility..... sorry this has happened to you...

balisi said:
Sorry I wasn't able to see this sooner. It sounds to me like no developer was used to deposit your color, plus as a natural, your hair is probably not very porous, which means your hair won't readily accept the color. If a developer was used, it may have been too weak (ie., 10 vol. instead of 20 vol). Barring or in addition to that, your hair's cuticle may not have been sufficiently sealed after color to keep the color from leaching out. Come back and let us know how it all turned out.

Re: I got my hair colored at an Aveda salon, and the color is coming off on my pillow

So So Chic, I'm sorry this happened to you, it sounds horrible. How did your visit turn out? I'm a natural and this makes me rethink coloring my hair.

I would like to thank all of you :D :D . I did go back to the salon (unfortunately though, before I read most of your comments), and this is what I got. Everyone looking at me like I was a fool, and a lot of, "We've never heard of anything like this before". The stylist who did my hair said before I got there she spoke to the Aveda Institute or something, and they said they've never heard of anything like this happening. Then she went to the back and spoke to someone, and I could over hear them saying that Aveda color does not do that (they were looking at the pillow case that I brought in), and that it must be some other color :mad: . So, they seem to believe that I put some other black color in my hair after they colored it, and that's what has come off on my pillow case and scarfs. I told her that I had not done anything other than wash, condition, and moisterize my hair. Bottom line, they had nothing to offer me, except washing it to see if the color comes off and in a joking way she asked me did I want her to replace my pillowcase :mad: . I am not good at this kind of stuff and I did not know what more I could say. They're telling me that this should not happen, they think I must have done something more to my hair like put in a different color, and I'm the ONLY black person in the shop so everyone's looking at me like I'm a damn fool :mad: :mad: :mad: , like I'm making this up or something. So, I told her that I was going to wash my hair on Fri. and sleep on a new pillow case and see if it's still happening, and perhaps it's not bleeding off anymore, and if this is the case then I'm fine, but if it happens again tommorow, then I'll give her a call. I'm hoping that maybe this dye came off sometime last week, and I just don't know it because I'm sleeping on the same stained pillow case. I don't know. Should I still insist on a refund?

During the past 6 yrs I've had professional color and colored myself using Loreal, Clairol, and Bigen and I've NEVER had this problem. The stylist made a boo-boo:mad: I would put everything in writing and demand a full refund!

What does the color in your hair look like is it fading? What kind of shampoo did you use? Did the recommend ashampoo and conditioner at the salon.

hairmaster said:
What does the color in your hair look like is it fading? What kind of shampoo did you use? Did the recommend ashampoo and conditioner at the salon.

I can see the color fading. In some areas it's not a jet black as it was...I can see some dark brown coming through, but when I tried to show her, she said she didn't see anything and that the color looked fine. I used, Nexuss once, CON a few times, and also Queen Helene Garlic Shampoo twice. She did recommend the Aveda shampoo for color, but did not say it was a MUST, maybe had she said you MUST use our products in order for the color to stay, I would not have gotten it done at all. She said that's probably what the Aveda people would say...that I should have used their products.

Re: I got my hair colored at an Aveda salon, and the color is coming off on my pillow

I've had color come off on my pillows, but only for the first week. When you do darker shades the products "we" put in our hair like moisterizer and such breaks it down a lil causing it to come off. Hope this helps!
Been grey since 23:look:

I suspect the Aveda Salon was one of the independant concept salons? In any event, you should write Aveda. Because they are suppose to train the staff and everyone is suppose to get color certification:(

Plus, they were'nt nice to you either:mad:

Do you guys think there's anything they could do at this point to correct the problem and stop the bleeding (if it hasn't already stopped), like sealing in the color now?

It sounds like they gave you a rinse instead of permanent color,
The color wasn't left in long enough to take and they probably used too much color because of your length. I really can't tell you exactly what happend. I would just take them to small claims court with all of your evidence. Gurantee you would win.

Well, I work at a salon (not Aveda) and I attend an Aveda Institute (one of the three owned by the Aveda Corp.). It sounds to me like that this person used a rinsed on your hair not a permanent color. If I were you I would get real tough. I would not make a scene but you need to tell them that whatever they did they did it wrong. You paid $80 for something that will not even stay on your head. First, you should ask for a refund which they should have no problem giving you. Second, they need to correct the problem but I would not go there for the correction since they have no customer service skills. I would go some where else and tell them that they need to pay for that correction. I agree with the person who said that this is obviously an Aveda concept salon so my guess is that it is privately owned. If the manager doesn't want to give in I would demand to talk to the owner.

brittanynic16 said:
Well, I work at a salon (not Aveda) and I attend an Aveda Institute (one of the three owned by the Aveda Corp.). It sounds to me like that this person used a rinsed on your hair not a permanent color. If I were you I would get real tough. I would not make a scene but you need to tell them that whatever they did they did it wrong. You paid $80 for something that will not even stay on your head. First, you should ask for a refund which they should have no problem giving you. Second, they need to correct the problem but I would not go there for the correction since they have no customer service skills. I would go some where else and tell them that they need to pay for that correction. I agree with the person who said that this is obviously an Aveda concept salon so my guess is that it is privately owned. If the manager doesn't want to give in I would demand to talk to the owner.

i KNOW NOTHING about color, but this is well put brittany!!!

Mizani_Mrs said:
balisi, is not using a developer, is that somehow damaging to her hair? If so, you need to be sure that they give you suitable compensation for the damage that they did. If they are color experts, then they need to take full responsibility..... sorry this has happened to you...
No, this shouldn't cause any damage to her hair. The more I think about it Sosochic, are you sure they applied a permanent color and not a semi or demiperm color?

I wear a cinnamon rinse all the time (colourshines). For the past 5 days I haven't slept with a scarf on. and I sleep on a white sheetset. My rinse does not fade at all (on dry hair). It does bleed alot when i am washing and deep conditioning. So even if they did use a rinse..she didnt do it right... she either applied too much or she did not sit u under heat long enough so it can penetrate. I would DEFINITELY go back and demand a refund. Tell them that you went to another place and they said that it wasn't done right and they want to do a corrective coloring. (but dont get it just yet). if i were you...I'd nurture my hair for the next few weeks to see how it behaves. If it is healthy then u can get another coloring... I just hate that they are playing the 'dumb' role like they couldn't have possibly messed up. they messed up and they need to admit to it. I would have been highly offended if they would have hinted that I recolored it... Next time the hint that you've done something to it... ask him to his face if he is calling you a liar... ask for his manager's name and #. Managers hate dealing with angry customers...they'll do anything to resolve your problem.

Go "angry black woman" on them... and get your money back girl...

so so chic said:
I can see the color fading. In some areas it's not a jet black as it was...I can see some dark brown coming through, but when I tried to show her, she said she didn't see anything and that the color looked fine. I used, Nexuss once, CON a few times, and also Queen Helene Garlic Shampoo twice. She did recommend the Aveda shampoo for color, but did not say it was a MUST, maybe had she said you MUST use our products in order for the color to stay, I would not have gotten it done at all. She said that's probably what the Aveda people would say...that I should have used their products.

I would contact AVEDA and the owner, I sound like the colorist played it safe and did not do the processing right, and don't want to say she was wrong.

Mizani_Mrs said:
I wear a cinnamon rinse all the time (colourshines). For the past 5 days I haven't slept with a scarf on. and I sleep on a white sheetset. My rinse does not fade at all (on dry hair). It does bleed alot when i am washing and deep conditioning. So even if they did use a rinse..she didnt do it right... she either applied too much or she did not sit u under heat long enough so it can penetrate. I would DEFINITELY go back and demand a refund. Tell them that you went to another place and they said that it wasn't done right and they want to do a corrective coloring. (but dont get it just yet). if i were you...I'd nurture my hair for the next few weeks to see how it behaves. If it is healthy then u can get another coloring... I just hate that they are playing the 'dumb' role like they couldn't have possibly messed up. they messed up and they need to admit to it. I would have been highly offended if they would have hinted that I recolored it... Next time the hint that you've done something to it... ask him to his face if he is calling you a liar... ask for his manager's name and #. Managers hate dealing with angry customers...they'll do anything to resolve your problem.

Go "angry black woman" on them... and get your money back girl...

She did not apply ANY heat to my hair. She put the dye on, turned the timer on and offered me some doughnuts, and then half the dye out of my hair while the rest of it dripped off on my car seat :mad: :mad: :mad: . I'm so mad, I should have went off, but I'm trying to be all polite. I'm going to speak to a manager and get my money back.

so so chic said:
She did not apply ANY heat to my hair. She put the dye on, turned the timer on and offered me some doughnuts, and then half the dye out of my hair while the rest of it dripped off on my car seat :mad: :mad: :mad: . I'm so mad, I should have went off, but I'm trying to be all polite. I'm going to speak to a manager and get my money back.

Screw being polite, the time for that is long past. Talk to the manager in person, tell them the colorist needs to go back to Aveda school for slow learners, she DID NOT do the color correctly and you want your money back.
Don't accept a free treatment, don't let them talk you into ANYTHING.
Just stand up for yourself, and get your money back. Good luck.

I spoke to the manger of the salon today and she said that she would contact Aveda again, but that they said they've never heard of anything like this. On Friday, I washed my hair again and used a new pillowcase and scarf and the dye is all over them. She asked me what am I using on my hair and said that it could be the oils making the color come out. I told her that I wanted my money back and she says that she has to talk to Aveda and would call me back. Do you all really think that the oils could be causing this? and if so, why in the world wouldn't they warn you of that beforehand :mad: . I'm going to take some pictures of this stuff so you all can see. I laid across my bed the other night not even thinking, and when I got up, dye was on my sheets :mad: . Who want's to pay $80 to deal with this mess. Oh...then she gonna try and say that when she talked to me before, I said I was happy with my hair. Yes, I said I was happy w/ my hair, but not all the dye coming off on my pillow. I know these people are going to try and give me the run around because they keep trying to blame it on the products I using and asking if I use Aveda products. Sorry my posts are so long, I'm just really upset, and if no one else understands I know you all do.

I think you should contact Aveda yourself for information and advice. Also, write to corporate headquarters, advising them of your experience. Include the salon name and/or number as well as the names of everyone you dealt with during this fiasco.

Here I go again...:mad: . I did call the corporate headquarters and they said that this should not happen and that in order for me to get a refund, the salon would have to issue it because they are independently owned. So, today I went up to the salon after calling them twice and not being able to speak to the supervisor or owner (they are mother and daughter), because they were styling hair. Let me add that I left work early to go up there before they closed. My boyfriend went with me, but he stayed in the car with. Well, when I got there, the daughter was in the car and the mother (owner) was locking up the building. So I got out and told her that I was glad I caught her before they closed and that I left work early so that I could speak to her. She told me that she had spoken to the corporate office and they said there in NO WAY CHEMICALLY POSSIBLE that this could happen. I said WELL YES IT IS BECAUSE IT HAPPENED RIGHT HERE (I was showing here my pillow case). She went on to agian tell me the SAME thing. I told her that I wanted my money back and she said the corporate office said that refunds can't be given several months after services have been done (mind you, I got this done on 6-3-06). Long story short, this B-I-T-C-you know what :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: had the nerve to tell me that if I didn't lower my voice she would call the police. WHATTTTTT. Let me tell yall, my voice was no louder than theirs, she just wanted to make it into something. Oh, let me add, they kept saying they had to HURRY up and go because they'd gotten a call from the police saying an escapee was in their neighborhood :cool: WTF. Anyways, bottom line, I said, "So you're not going to give me my money back", and they said, "NO", and I got in the car and left, and she got her cell phone to call someone (I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't the police). I am now filing a complaint with the BBB.

so so chic said:
Here I go again...:mad: . I did call the corporate headquarters and they said that this should not happen and that in order for me to get a refund, the salon would have to issue it because they are independently owned. So, today I went up to the salon after calling them twice and not being able to speak to the supervisor or owner (they are mother and daughter), because they were styling hair. Let me add that I left work early to go up there before they closed. My boyfriend went with me, but he stayed in the car with. Well, when I got there, the daughter was in the car and the mother (owner) was locking up the building. So I got out and told her that I was glad I caught her before they closed and that I left work early so that I could speak to her. She told me that she had spoken to the corporate office and they said there in NO WAY CHEMICALLY POSSIBLE that this could happen. I said WELL YES IT IS BECAUSE IT HAPPENED RIGHT HERE (I was showing here my pillow case). She went on to agian tell me the SAME thing. I told her that I wanted my money back and she said the corporate office said that refunds can't be given several months after services have been done (mind you, I got this done on 6-3-06). Long story short, this B-I-T-C-you know what :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: had the nerve to tell me that if I didn't lower my voice she would call the police. WHATTTTTT. Let me tell yall, my voice was no louder than theirs, she just wanted to make it into something. Oh, let me add, they kept saying they had to HURRY up and go because they'd gotten a call from the police saying an escapee was in their neighborhood :cool: WTF. Anyways, bottom line, I said, "So you're not going to give me my money back", and they said, "NO", and I got in the car and left, and she got her cell phone to call someone (I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't the police). I am now filing a complaint with the BBB.

Good for you on calling the BBB. I have gotten results from this.

Back