I had to walk out of a natural salon with my hair unfinished

naturalmanenyc

I had been checking out this natural salon and the owner for a while and finally booked a blow out, flat iron (optional) and trim at Red Room Luxe Salon at OMhh. I was thinking about wearing my hair straight for a work trip this week. I have not had straight hair or a trim in 6 months since I was in twists for 3 months and wearing my hair curly.

Full details are on my blog:
http://goingnaturaltransitioningtonaturalhair.com/random-posts/omhh-red-room-luxe-salon/

Well, this was my blow out at the salon - half way through:

Can you tell which side was blown out and which side wasn't?

She asked to finish my hair so I did let her complete the blow out and flat iron but I did not have it styled and definitely not trimmed. She wanted to trim at least an inch of my hair.

I came home and redid my own blow out and flat iron.

This is what it looks like when I blow out my own hair:

My at home flat iron:

Please speak up about your hair. You are paying for service and if you don't get what you want, leave!

Last edited:

ctosha

Im glad you walked out if you were not comfortable, most people do not, and sit there then complain after the fact. As another poster stated seems like she was just playing in your hair smh.

SmilingElephant

Chile that's bogus!:nono: I'm glad you walked out! LHCFers should just be given licenses to do hair bc it seems we know what we're doing. Better than the vast majority of salons out there!

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
I hear you! I should have walked out of a natural salon a few weeks ago with my girls. They were getting their hair braided (I was tired of dealing with hair so was willing to pay for a style that could last a while). 7 HOURS LATER she finished 2 heads - no beads per our request or we'd have been there 3 more hours. I wanted to leave but she'd done half and half and I didn't think I could salvage the do.

Did you pay full price?

Country gal

I could of done that for you at my house. I get really dissapointed because it seems most stylists only know how to style relaxed hair.

Mjon912

That's good that you walked out!!! She clearly didn't know what she was doing and you did a much much better job

starchgirl

Thank you for letting this so called "natural hair stylist" know that her services were not up to snuff! So tired of these salons not knowing how to do the type of hair that naturally grows out of our heads!!

I've learned to be a DIYer, but I'd like to be able to get pampered every once and a while and I cannot trust to get it done right and not go bald!

What did her hair look like???

SimJam

thank goodness this wasn't one of those "Im writing the post from my phone while sitting in the stylists chair trying to hold back tears" threads :yep:

good for you .... stylists need give good service and we need to demand it !!!

Leesh

You did a way better job then she did... :yep:

Sounds like shes not to well versed in dealing with natural hair...One wonders why shes in a NS!

naturalmanenyc

Spiffy
Yes, I use the tension method (my hands only) and I also bought a comb attachment for my blow dryer. I may use a brush next time though to get it smoother.

wavezncurlz
No, not full price. She gave me a 20% discount. DH wanted to take me back to demand a refund (similar to the tree braid fiasco a while back) but I didn't bother.

starchgirl
She was wearing kinky twist extensions.

Last edited:

MissAlinaRose

Annnnd this is why I don't do salons. I know all are not bad, but stuff like this grinds my gears. I can't believe she still made you pay after the trouble she caused you.

I third the nomination about naming salons that do poor service. Some people feel it's wrong to take food out of someone's mouth but you are PAYING FOR A SERVICE! If a stylist is not competent then they need to perfect their craft before playing with folks.

CurliDiva

Maybe...... she was not good with HEAT because its a natural salon.

Did you get a consultation or see their work on other heat-intensive styles?

Dominican shop blowouts are so skilled because they tend to hate kinky hair and don’t care about preserving your curls.

starchgirl

MissAlinaRose said:
Annnnd this is why I don't do salons. I know all are not bad, but stuff like this grinds my gears. I can't believe she still made you pay after the trouble she caused you.

I third the nomination about naming salons that do poor service. Some people feel it's wrong to take food out of someone's mouth but you are PAYING FOR A SERVICE! If a stylist is not competent then they need to perfect their craft before playing with folks.

I totally agree that naming salons that provide poor service is needed. It's the same as praising salons who provide good service.

Read the full story on your blog - you named names and took no prisoners! Way to go!

beana

I'm glad you got up and walked out! Drying the hair under a dryer first?!?!??!? She was just asking for tangles....

As far as the discount, can you use the 20% off to purchase product? If so, I would pick up a few Hair Rules items from there and nothing else.

Lynnerie

Maybe...... she was not good with HEAT because its a natural salon.
Did you get a consultation or see their work on other heat-intensive styles?

Dominican shop blowouts are so skilled because they tend to hate kinky hair and don’t care about preserving your curls.

Sorry but if she is a stylist she should be able to work with heat and if she can't she should just say that straightening is not her speciality. She wasted OP's time and some of her money.

candy626

Lynnerie said:
Sorry but if she is a stylist she should be able to work with heat and if she can't she should just say that straightening is not her speciality. She wasted OP's time and some of her money.

Exactly. That's a basic service that every stylist should be equipped to perform. And a natural hair stylist should be a bomb *** hair straightener.

Natural black hair is the most difficult to straighten (without it coming out dull, frizzy, and stiff) and requires the most technique. You should not become a natural hair stylist without having your flat iron technique mastered.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
What is the name of the salon and stylist?
Please name names in the salon section etc.

That was a horrible blow dry job.
Sorry you wasted your time and $$.

Spiffy

Spiffy
Yes, I use the tension method (my hands only) and I also bought a comb attachment for my blow dryer. I may use a brush next time though to get it smoother.

wavezncurlz
No, not full price. She gave me a 20% discount. DH wanted to take me back to demand a refund (similar to the tree braid fiasco a while back) but I didn't bother.

starchgirl
She was wearing kinky twist extensions.

Yea, I could tell, you do a good job of blowing it out. Don't use a brush, brushes are evil!

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
Now when you getting your Cosmetology license? You did a great job. If I may ask, how did you get your hair so straight? I'm relaxed and I can't get a blow dryer to get my hair straight to save my life.