i hate rollersetting.

filthyfresh

I swear. I bought like $20 worth of stuff to rollerset my hair with. I watched Macherieamour's trailer on rollersetting (too broke to buy the DVD), read up on it, and still I got a big poufy mess. I used a leave-in, used a spray bottle with a little leave-in in that. And used something to smooth it out. Did I use too much product? Was my heat too high? What gives?

Practice makes perfect. When I first started rollersetting, my hair was a mess and it took forever. But after two or three trial runs, I was having BEAUTIFUL rollersets. I'm talking the softest, silkiest, straightest hair. What type of rollers are you using? Magnetic rollers are the best, IMO. You have to make sure to keep your hair soaking wet and don't use too much product. I never used setting lotion for my rollersets. Just some cream moisturizer and a little 911 heat protectant. Have you tried the saran wrap method afterwards?

Yea, did you do a saran wrap after? did you blow out your roots?

It took me 4 attempts to get a decent one. What made the difference was the less amount of product (quarter size of leave-in and serum for my whole head) and making sure my rollers were tight and laid completely flat.

Keep practicing. I thin everybodys first few sets look :perplexed but after a while they get better. Make sure the roller is taut so the hair will come out sleek and smooth.

1. I think I used too much product.
2. It was hard for me to get my rollers really taut, because of my 17 week post 4A curls.
3. I didn't have any Saran Wrap (forgot to grab some), but I did a modified version. I put a plastic cap on. Then an elastic headband. Then pulled the cap down under the headband to smush my hair a little in the wrap. Came out so so.
4. I used the wrong leave-in. I used Garnier Sleek & Shine which I used to use but couldn't remember why I stopped. Now I remember; it made my hair break like crazy. I'm fresh out of Lacio Lacio. =[

Girl,. Imma be honest...after I co-washed and then DCed all I did was use water to set my hair. Came out not perfect but wayyyyy better than my first two tries. So I do belive that practice makes perfect, and that less is more.

1. I use KeraCare Leave-in (use nickle size in each section) I apply to my hair in sections

2. Then I apply KeraCare Silken Seal

3. I use magnetic rollers (snap on) -Spray each section that I'm rolling with water soaken wet (water is dripping)

End result soft, silky bouncy curls

Did you make sure each section that you rolled was SOAKING wet and combed through before you laid it onto the roller?

You may have used too much product. Try it with nothing but water in the bottle that you use to spray each section. I don't use leave-ins until after my hair is dried- then I apply the leave-in and moisturizing stuff.

You may want to invest in the DVD, because she goes into ALOT of detail on the DVD- I haven't messed up a rollerset yet, thanks to that DVD.:yep:

This is a bit radical and goes against Ma's video, but here is my story! Before I purchased my Pibbs, I would roller set at home using just some Keracare setting lotion. By the way, I and my daughter are Natural. I use coloring she doesn't! Rollersets at home with stand dryer AND at the Salon always came out great. I 've never had to blowdry aftwards. At the salon, the stylist would take the back of the Marcel iron and remove the print of the clips and slightly touch the roots. Rollerset would stay bouncy and curly for two weeks.

Then I got the Pibbs AND Ma's video. I was following her steps to the T. Neither my daughter's hair or my hair came out great. Using the mohawk method, we always had rollers sliding or pushing other rollers out. Roots were very kinky on both of us and I started blaming the Pibbs and it's hood size. I thought the rollers were blocking air flow.

Two weeks ago, I said just F&(K, I'm going to go back to my old-school method.

I placed rollers in my hair going with the natural curve of the head and every roller stay in it's right position. I also did not have my head soaking wet. I used an all nautral leave-in conditioner Giovanni Direct (Whole Foods) as my setting lotion which kept hair moist the 15 minutes it took to rollerset hair. Hair was soft, silky, bouncy and actually just like the salon. Daughter's hair came out so good, I've been begging her to let me wash it again.

Last edited:
Back