I have a big bald spot

PittiPat

I'm so frustrated and sad. Sometimes I feel like just giving up. Right now, I'm wearing a braidout. If not a braidout, I'm usually wearing my wig. I use NTM shampoo and conditioner, and haven't had a perm since September 10th. I use no heat at all, and cover my hair at night with a silk scarf. So, why in the world do I have a 2" bald spot on the back, right side of my head? Well, not completely bald, but fuzzy-bald.

InsertCleverNameHere

I'm sorry to hear that! I have a spot exactly like that in my crown. It really will grow back...Is your hair long enough to cover it? I'm a big advocate of wigs to cover up issues while growing the hair out.

kitchen_tician

I'm sorry to hear that, but if it's fuzzy, I think that's a good thing. Hopefully, that means it's growing back. I forgot who posted this recipe, but she grew in her bald spots with this recipe:

Essential Oil Blend for Hair Growth
1. Thyme essential oil - 2 drops
2. Atlas cedarwood essential oil - 2 drops
3. Lavender essential oil -3 drops
4. Rosemary essential oil -3 drops
5. Jojoba oil - ½ teaspoon
6. Grapeseed oil - 4 teaspoons

Add the first four ingredients into a small glass jar. Mix well. Now add the remaining two ingredients. Mix thoroughly.

Massage this mixture into your scalp for at least two minutes every night. Wrap your head in a warm towel after treatment.

I hope she checks in to give more insight. Oh yeah, I remember her saying that she was allergic to various foods, which may have caused her spots.

PittiPat

Thanks, Rea. My hair is long enough to cover it. I don't know how I didn't notice it last night when I braided my hair. I just realized something...it's my "itchy" spot that went bald. The itching wouldn't happen too often, but when it did, it would last for a couple of days and then stop. Interesting...

pookeylou

Some questions might help you figure out the cause:

So has the hair broke off in those areas or does it appear to have fallen out in those areas?

Do you sleep on that side?

Have you changed your diet recently? (Remember adding vitamins or minerals counts as changing your diet too.)

Have you switche/started a new medication?

Was the relaxer left on that are longer than usual? Did you scratch that area before your touch up? Was it rinsed thoroughly from that area?

If you have noticed that the hair is growing back (I wasnt clear if the "fuzziness" was due to broken hairs or regrown hairs) then your scalp has already found a way to heal after what happened. If it is truly broken hairs...then it sounds like the relaxer may have overprocessed that area and the result was the hair broke off there.

First determine if it was the perm...I know there are a host of sisters here that can tell you how to slow down shedding and breaking if overprocessing was the problem.

Of course the only real way to know is to see a doctor.

Hopefully (and be sure to keep positive...stress can cause hair loss) it is nothing major.

iCandey

i have this same problem...i have gone to the derm and it started growing back but when the hair grew back course I kind of new it was going to break again...its my itchy spot as well...i will try that recipe for now I am using coconut oil...

PittiPat

[ QUOTE ]
Some questions might help you figure out the cause:

So has the hair broke off in those areas or does it appear to have fallen out in those areas? <font color="red">I'm sorry, but I don't know the difference. I'm at work, so I can't get a good look at it. But I'm thinking that it must have broken off since I did have a lot of what I thought was "shedding" this month. </font>

Do you sleep on that side? <font color="red">No. </font>

Have you changed your diet recently? (Remember adding vitamins or minerals counts as changing your diet too.) <font color="red">No. </font>

Have you switche/started a new medication? <font color="red">No </font>

Was the relaxer left on that are longer than usual? <font color="red">During my touchup, the stylist did spread the perm over my hair by the time she was done smoothing. She "protected" my already permed hair with oil before she began though. </font>

Did you scratch that area before your touch up? <font color="red">It's very possible. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif </font>

Was it rinsed thoroughly from that area?
<font color="red">I thought that it was. Also, I washed the next day, I believe, because I was concerned about the overlapping, which she assured me that I shouldn't worry about. </font>

If you have noticed that the hair is growing back (I wasnt clear if the "fuzziness" was due to broken hairs or regrown hairs) then your scalp has already found a way to heal after what happened. If it is truly broken hairs...then it sounds like the relaxer may have overprocessed that area and the result was the hair broke off there. <font color="red"> Yep, the fuzziness is definitely due to broken hairs.</font>

First determine if it was the perm...I know there are a host of sisters here that can tell you how to slow down shedding and breaking if overprocessing was the problem. <font color="red">Since it has been well over a month since my perm, and no real hair loss to mention, until today, I didn't think that the perm was the cause. Wow. Maybe it was the perm, but I just never noticed that it was thinning out until it went completely bald. </font>

Of course the only real way to know is to see a doctor.

Hopefully (and be sure to keep positive...stress can cause hair loss) it is nothing major.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="red">Thanks so much for your help. </font>

KinksnCurlz

Pittpat... i use to get a baldspot YES A BALD SPOT not fuzz, missing hair every year (for about 2-3 years) in H.S. right on the top front portion of my head (a few inches behind my hairline). Y, i don't know... BUT the good news is that it grew back everytime. I didn't apply anything to it, i just left it alone and it grew back each year. It was strange...

jasmin

I use Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Oil and ORS carrot oil. Hair grew back. When it itches like that I use Paul Mitchell. I have problems with my edges and that one spot on top of my head.

Also I take B Complex and I haven't had this problem since.

Nonie

Hey Ms P... Mine was slippery smooth not really fuzzy and the follicle was still alive coz the hair grew back. So please keep hope alive anyone going through this. Fuzzy or slippery smooth doesn't necessarily mean your follicles are doomed. (BTW, in case someone didn't read my endless account of that experience, here ya go: An Experience of Hairloss)

I'm intrigued that the right hand side in the back is one area prone to lose hair regardless of how you style your hair. I can bet my bottom dollar someone else in the past shared a similar experience long before mine. /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif I'll have to make time to find out what's up with that spot. Oh and CH, I also had a small patch at the very location you describe about the same time, only it was smaller and easily hidden under fat cornrows. /images/graemlins/smile.gif (Yep, I didn't have just one spot. I had several, but the one I wrote about was the largest and the first one I discovered. And I'm happy to report, all have grown back albeit at different paces. So it'll be years before I have even hair (coz I'm not doing a chop anytime soon) but once you've experienced that horror, length and evenness become the least of your worries.

H

honey_jammz82

[ QUOTE ]
Pittpat... i use to get a baldspot YES A BALD SPOT not fuzz, missing hair every year (for about 2-3 years) in H.S. right on the top front portion of my head (a few inches behind my hairline). Y, i don't know... BUT the good news is that it grew back everytime. I didn't apply anything to it, i just left it alone and it grew back each year. It was strange...

[/ QUOTE ]

The same thing happened to me in the same spot when I was in high school, but only once. I left it alone as well, and it grew back on its own.

KinksnCurlz

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The same thing happened to me in the same spot when I was in high school, but only once. I left it alone as well, and it grew back on its own.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this strange /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif I use to think i got it b/c of the pins i used to wrap my doobie.

PittiPat

Thank you, ladies, for all of your words of encouragement and support. You're all absolutely right...it will grow back. *sigh* I'll keep hope alive.

Jasmine: A co-worker also mentioned that I should try Tea Tree Oil. Thanks.

Nonie: Wow, thank you for the link. That was so informative and intersting. I'm so happy that you have had great results...kudos /images/graemlins/up.gif

I love this forum. You guys are so helpful and supportive.