i have a question for catholics

pebbles

Vintagecoilylocks said:
You can see stark differences on this forum of the beliefs in the essentials of faith.
I've been a little busy myself and am a bit out of touch with this thread at the moment, so if I've missed the point of what you were saying, please forgive me. :p

What are these stark differences that you refer to among the protestants on this forum?

Secondly, I don't know of any Protestant churches that teach that Catholics are not Christians. In my church, we pray for our Catholic brothers and sisters who are going through a difficult time in their churches. Protestants who know nothing of Catholics and Catholicism may wonder what Catholics believe, but the heads of our churches never teach that Catholics aren't Christians. If they have begun to do so, that's news to me, and I'd like to know what church that is.

Lastly, there are several different theories of what happens to the dead when they pass. They are, Purgatory, Soul Sleep, Soul Annihilation, Resurrection, Reincarnation, "Hades" and Paradise, and the dead becoming Angels. Depending on what you believe, you'll fall into one of these.

While Catholics interpret the text in 1 Chorintians 15 to mean that Paul is saying he will be risen in his glorified body and be with Jesus, most Protestants do not interpret the text in that way. Jesus, himself, has described death as being in a state of sleep.

John 11:11 These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, "Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep."
John 11:12 Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.
John 11:13 Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.
John 11:14 Then said Jesus unto them plainly,"Lazarus is dead."

Mat 9:24 He said unto them,"Give place: for the maid is not dead, but sleepeth." And they laughed him to scorn.

Mark 5:39 And when he was come in, he saith unto them,"Why make ye this ado, and weep? the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth.

Luke 8:52 And all wept, and bewailed her: but he said, Weep not; she is not dead, but sleepeth.
Luke 8:53 And they laughed him to scorn, knowing that she was dead.

But no matter what you believe happens to a soul after death, the point is that there is no scripture to support the theory that the dead are able to intercede or pray for us in any way, shape, or form. I'll let you have the last word on this. I think I've said all I can say on the subject. I enjoyed this thread, personally. I found it fun and informative, and I hope others have as well. :)

Edie

pebbles said:
I've been a little busy myself and am a bit out of touch with this thread at the moment, so if I've missed the point of what you were saying, please forgive me. :p

What are these stark differences that you refer to among the protestants on this forum?

Secondly, I don't know of any Protestant churches that teach that Catholics are not Christians. In my church, we pray for our Catholic brothers and sisters who are going through a difficult time in their churches. Protestants who know nothing of Catholics and Catholicism may wonder what Catholics believe, but the heads of our churches never teach that Catholics aren't Christians. If they have begun to do so, that's news to me, and I'd like to know what church that is.

Lastly, there are several different theories of what happens to the dead when they pass. They are, Purgatory, Soul Sleep, Soul Annihilation, Resurrection, Reincarnation, "Hades" and Paradise, and the dead becoming Angels. Depending on what you believe, you'll fall into one of these.

While Catholics interpret the text in 1 Chorintians 15 to mean that Paul is saying he will be risen in his glorified body and be with Jesus, most Protestants do not interpret the text in that way. Jesus, himself, has described death as being in a state of sleep.

John 11:11 These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, "Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep."
John 11:12 Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.
John 11:13 Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.
John 11:14 Then said Jesus unto them plainly,"Lazarus is dead."

Mat 9:24 He said unto them,"Give place: for the maid is not dead, but sleepeth." And they laughed him to scorn.

Mark 5:39 And when he was come in, he saith unto them,"Why make ye this ado, and weep? the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth.

Luke 8:52 And all wept, and bewailed her: but he said, Weep not; she is not dead, but sleepeth.
Luke 8:53 And they laughed him to scorn, knowing that she was dead.

But no matter what you believe happens to a soul after death, the point is that there is no scripture to support the theory that the dead are able to intercede or pray for us in any way, shape, or form. I'll let you have the last word on this. I think I've said all I can say on the subject. I enjoyed this thread, personally. I found it fun and informative, and I hope others have as well. :)

Well after all of this discussion, I hope we can at least agree that if it is not supported by God's scripture (and not something someone's interpretation) we need to just state that to be our own opinion. Because as far as I am concerned if God's Word doesn't say it, everything else is just that - an interpetation or an opinion. What better thing to base your belief on than God's own Word.

Peace!

Last edited: