I haven't been to a salon in over a year!

Lorraine

I just realized that my last salon visit was over a year ago and while my hair isn't as soft, even, or shaky as I would like it is thehealthiest and longest it's ever been. I feel embarrassed though when I admit that I haven't had professional care in over a year. Am I the only "homemaid" person here?

weaveadiva

girl no you are not alone! :D

i refuse to give my money to those chicks for the same things that i can do myself. shoot, all i need is my hair boards and i'm set! :yep:

QUINN

Honey, I hadn't been to a salon in a good four years. Last Christmas I let this heifer do my hair. This itch took forever to do my hair (I was in the salon for eight hours!) Then she phuqed up my hair! I am still recovering. Luckily, I have been taking care of my hair and it is coming along. Now, I'm not saying all stylists are bad. I had a girl I used to go to and she was the ish. She took very good care of my hair. Why am I not a customer of this great stylist anymore? Apparently baby girl had issues with paying her rent at the shops and I think her and my mom had an altercation over my step-dad, but that's another story.....still I miss Adrienne.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
Before I transitioned, I hadn't been to a salon since I was 19 and I was 28 when I started transitioning (not due to relaxer probs either) My hair was in great shape back home, I wasn't about to pay someone $50 to do what I could do for $8.

DahomeyAhosi

I think many of the ladies on this board are salon-free like you. Too many of our setbacks have been caused by careless hairdressers. I haven't been in over a year either and I have no regrets.

foxybrownsugar

You are not alone, I havent been in yrs. Maybe I will go get a wash/condition style for christmas. Just to be pampered. :) Nothing drastic and trust i will watch her/his every move.

Honi

There is no board.
Your in good company. I haven't been to a salon in about 5 years. I'm too scared to let anyone touch my hair at this point.

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
Chile please, we probably learn and know more about haircare, products and their ingredients than most average stylists! In fact, they are just now catching on.

I'm always in total shock when speaking to a stylist because they are half-way talking with some sense these days.

Embarrassed , pshh, :nono: don't be, you've done a FaBuLoUs job with your hair this year! Kudos! :up:

It would be nice to be pamper and feel the shampoo girl work those magic fingers, but I'm waaaay too scare! :eek:

jasmin

Lorraine said:
I just realized that my last salon visit was over a year ago and while my hair isn't as soft, even, or shaky as I would like it is thehealthiest and longest it's ever been. I feel embarrassed though when I admit that I haven't had professional care in over a year. Am I the only "homemaid" person here?

Add me to the list but I'm not embarrassed.

Lorraine

I certainly don't feel so bad now, especially after seeing all these beautiful avatars!:D

Thanks ladies.

~ Lo

tenderheaded

At the end of 2003, I got a bad perm and went from 13 inches of hair to less than half an inch! So yes, be afraid, be very afraid.......

In April of this year, after deciding that maybe I had enough hair to try relaxing again, I went to a salon. I watched her like a hawk. She was gentle, washed well, didn't used the rat tail comb - I was in heaven! Then she wanted to cut my hair! After I'd already told her I was about bald the year before! So I went on search of self help and thank goodness wound up here.

This is the most professional bunch of ladies I've ever encountered!

4a/4b
Aphogee treatment, poo, reconstructor, keratin & green tea
Profectiv realxer, breakfree megamoisture
Loreal Mermade, WGO, carrot oil
Xmas Stretcher

Samaria

So yall do yall own TU's and whatnot? I really wana do my own hair too, any tips? How do you style your own hair after a relaxer? I've been using Mizani for the past yr, if I wanted to do my own relaxer and didnt wanna always have to order online for Mizani is there another relaxer I could use? (it was no lye) I'm just really curious.. TIA

Last edited:

Queenie

I haven't gone in 9 years and that was to a beauty school. And prior to that 1 time it had been 5 years. I am scared to go back, :nono: I have a friend who does hair in NYC who is good, but she's expensive. One day I'll try agian.

Jewell

Yep, I have homemade hair care too. Haven't been since Jan 05, and don't plan on going back ever-for hair care that is. I'll go to get my nails done or eyebrows waxed. That's it. I do my own TUs, color, rollersets, blowouts, trims, you name it. My mom slipped up letting me learn how to do my own TUs cuz I used to pay her to do them. I've been doing them myself for over 1 year now. She also let her guard down by letting me find her Milady's Standard Cosmetology Book . I can do a lot of things very well to my own hair now! Been doing my own occasional coloring (all natural henna color) for about 3 years now.

KathyMay

no shame to my game!! I haven't been to the salon since March 2004. I have had my weaves and braids done at my friends house. I plan on going to the Domician salon next week

cocoberry10

Lorraine said:

I agree with all the other ladies. Don't feel bad. Like someone else said, we probably know more about haircare than hairdressers. It's a shame that there aren't more hairdressers who are members of this board. The knowledge you learn here could really benefit them and their clients.

MissYocairis

Lorraine said:

:p You are not alone! I swore off of those hell-holes five years ago and since, I have only been to a salon twice and both times it was for a sew-in! In fact, not only am I happy to admit I don't mess with salons, but, I am concerned because I don't want ANYONE touching my hair. My own mother today was over and I asked her to twist the very back middle section of my head for a twist-out and she was pulling too hard and I lightweight got concerned! lol. I didn't ask her to continue after that....and that's my mama! I trust her IMPLICITLY! :look:

I am so picky about my hair ever since LHCF. :cool: I have found, through conversations with cosmetologists (after joining LHCF), that they don't know what the hell they are doing and they are still functioning off of major misconceptions that are horrible for our hair. :mad:

To me, going to a professional stylist, knowing what I now know would be to just chuck a full year of bun-wearing, constant pampering, co-washing, pre-pooing, MTGing, dusting, wrapping, rolling, protecting and treating. I am not about to let my efforts go to waste. Noone knows what my hair loves better than I do. :D

kombov_dymond

This month will make 5 years for me. I don't have the patience for salons. I can't think of anything that they can do for me that I can't at least try at home except permanent color. I would go for that.

Last edited:

macherieamour

Hmm, Im gonna deviate from the pack here a litte. I think it is important to go to the sylist every once and a while to get sort of a hari check up. I do my own hair but will go to a stylist once for a touch up (every 2-3 months) and another for a wash and set about a month after my touch up. For example, last time my stylist was able to tell me why a section of my hair was thinning (poor roller placement) which I would have never noticed because it was in the back of my head. Or that my hair seemed less or more moisturized and why ( from a professional standpoint). My stylist told me to stop doing so much protein cause my hair was breaking and drying out from it, which i thought meant I should be doing MORE protein. Now I just do moisture and my hair is stronger and more elastic. ANyways, I think it is good to go every once and a while to make sure every thing you are doing to your hair is right for YOUR hair. I go infrequently becasue its super expensive but well worth it.

lisajames96

:) nah, don't feel bad. I haven't been to a salon since 1996 when I got my hair done for my sister's wedding...i just never saw a reason to go back since I pretty much liked doing my own hair.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I haven't been to a salon since ummmmmmmmm let me see, after I gave birth to my 8 1/2 year old, lol, so your not the only one, most of them are not into hair care anyway they just like to style the hair so it looks good for the moment, I always prefered taking care of my own hair over a salon. ;) , it's cheaper, easier as far as time is concern and you don't have to spend half your life waiting to get shampooed or risk being left under the drier like you never existed, :lachen: .

SilkyandSmooth

I haven't been to a salon in almost 1.5 years. I can't say that I miss the visits to the salon either. I can't even begin to tell you how much time I wasted just waiting to get my hair done. Nope, I don't miss it at all. :)

LiqueXX

I haven't been to a salon in years, ever since my hairdresser at the time left the relaxer in for 45 minutes. I just can't stand the waiting to get into the chair, waiting to get your hair washed, waiting to get seated at a hairdryer, etc. All that is not worth $60-80 for a relaxer or $35-40 for a wash and set.

mzlatisha

Everything is Energy
actually my hair grew alot when i use to go to this guy. i go to him still every so often when i dont feel like pressing my hair myself.
he does a really good job.

phynestone

LiqueXX said:
I haven't been to a salon in years, ever since my hairdresser at the time left the relaxer in for 45 minutes. I just can't stand the waiting to get into the chair, waiting to get your hair washed, waiting to get seated at a hairdryer, etc. All that is not worth $60-80 for a relaxer or $35-40 for a wash and set.

OMG!!! Did your hair fall out? That is just ridiculous!

I usually go to a friend for my weaves and braids, but only to the salon for a touch-up and trim. And that's only 2-3x a year. I think the problem is being able to find a decent stylist, b/c I've had a REALLY hard time finding one back home in Austin. I haven't had much of a problem in D/FW area. I would really like to learn how to do my own sewn-in weaves and apply relaxers. After that, man, I won't have to go to the salon at all!