I let a white stylist do my relaxer...

asubeauty

... and it came out really well!! I was suprised, to say the least.

I wasn't going expecting a her to do my touch up, but I went with my mom and was going to use the lady who does her hair, but she couldn't be there. My mom had to go to work and I had a friend coming by whom I haven't seen in months (I didn't want him to see me with my head looking all busted), so I let her do it.

She did a really good job. She asked me if I burned easily, and when I told her I did, she based me really well. Then she asked which relaxer I wanted to use (no stylist has ever asked me before) and she used Mizani sensitive scalp. She applied the relaxer with minimal overlapping (I looked in the mirror), constantly asked if my scalp felt okay, and then said "It's been about 15 minutes, do you want me to rinse it out?" :shocked: I was so shocked, because a lot of stylists that I've gone to just wait till I say it burns (and I have to lie a lot).

Now, the style wasn't the best (She rolled it and I had to wrap it myself), but I'm really happy that she asked me a lot of questions and seemed really concerned with making sure I was pleased. She could probably tell that I was a little apprehensive about her doing it, but she did a good job. I got a good relaxer. I would go to her again in a pinch. :grin:

Just wanted to share. :lol:

Glad it went well! Many white stylist can put it down especially in the color department. I had yt girl do my relaxer once a beauty school and she hooked me up.

Hope you have a good break...I know you have been working your tail off in med school.

That's cool and I'm glad it turned out well.

I think of that as being not a lot different from having a male gyno or obgyn. They don't have the "parts" per se but they have enough experience/education to get the job done. :)

That was very brave of you though. LOL.

I let a white lady do my hair one time...not a relaxer. She did a great job and I was impressed with her roller set. I noticed when she did white lady's hair she used these rollers with like this prickly comb like texture on them. They were odd looking. When the lady was done she spritzed her hair with hair spray.

So when I sat down in her chair I was like...I know she doesn't think I'm going to let her put those "comb" rollers in my hair. :nono:

Suddenly she busted out the magnetic rollers and asked me what size I wanted. She deep conditioned me and put a leave in in my hair which she hadn't done with the other lady and I knew it was gonna be okay. :)

I got better treatment lol for the same price as the white lady...'cause I don't remember her getting the deep conditioning and we paid the same.

Last edited:
Glad it went well! Many white stylist can put it down especially in the color department. I had yt girl do my relaxer once a beauty school and she hooked me up.

Hope you have a good break...I know you have been working your tail off in med school.

Aww, thanks, gymfreak!!! I'm am so burned out! I had the hugest test on Friday, and I was exhausted. I slept for about 15 hours, ate some cornbread, and got my touch up, so now I'm good. :lol:

Aww, thanks, gymfreak!!! I'm am so burned out! I had the hugest test on Friday, and I was exhausted. I slept for about 15 hours, ate some cornbread, and got my touch up, so now I'm good. :lol:

Just like a true southern girl. I love me some cornbread. :lol:

I'm glad it turned out well. I've had nothing but good experiences with white hair stylists too - no relaxers though, just cuts and styling.

good for you!

I bet that girl had a lot of practice was probably still scared and didn't want to burn you (IMO all stylists should be that way so she doesn't make mistakes, cause as soon as they get comfortable they start making mistakes.)

I have not found a good stylist to do my hair, so I go to a "white" hair place to get cuts and trims, but that it, I don't trust them with anything else. i would rather do my own styling and relaxing, I have done this ever since I could relaxe my hair which was when I was 17.
I really like the way they trim and they are always giving encouragements. This is at a beauty school so I am comfortable with them because I think they know how to cut my hair.
The other people that style black hair, IMO, are self proclaimed proffessionals so I don't go to them. So I have to do everything myself.

I am glad it worked out well for you! Girl, I use to have a stylist who told me, "If you ever have to leave me and some ask you if you are burning, Say Yes!" :lol:

My stylist (who can cut her BUTT off) was telling me the other day that she's cutting all her hair back off and going for a short short cut.

I asked her who she was going to get to cut it. She said that she was going to study and research some cuts and probably go to a white stylist.

this isn't a surprise. most beauty schools require that you have to know how to deal with all types of hair before you get certified.

last year i got a relaxer put in by a filipino woman, who claimed she was "very good with working on black lady hair".

she left in the relaxer too long, was hesitant to rinse me off even after i said it was burning, blow dried my hair on a billion degree hair dryer, and flat ironed .5" sections of hair all over my head before using a curling iron.

when she was done, she was like, "finally got all the nappy out!"

she's the reason why i don't go to stylists again :look:

this isn't a surprise. most beauty schools require that you have to know how to deal with all types of hair before you get certified.

last year i got a relaxer put in by a filipino woman, who claimed she was "very good with working on black lady hair".

she left in the relaxer too long, was hesitant to rinse me off even after i said it was burning, blow dried my hair on a billion degree hair dryer, and flat ironed .5" sections of hair all over my head before using a curling iron.

I don't even know what to say!

I'm glad it worked out for you. I had an Asian lady do my relaxer before and she did a good job. All her clients were black.

I have a white stylist for trims. She is the only one allowed to come near my head with scissors. She always does a great job!

Oh. My. Goodness. That is ridiculus!!! I would want to :boxing: her in the throat... :angry2:

Before I started going to Dominican salons and/or doing my hair myself, I had a white stylist for YEARS. I still go to her for my trims because I don't trust anyone else and if I ever break down and wanna relax, she will be doing it. Matter of fact, I think she only has 2 non-black/caribbean/latin clients! She's on point with color and total hair health. She'll tell you up front she doesn't do "crunchy" hair styles. I don't know, after learning so much on my own and her taking care of my hair for so long, I really don't think I'll ever go back to another black stylist...I can never say never, but I certainly don't plan on it.

Back