The stylist reccommended NOT to get a relaxer more than 2x a year!!

princezz

Today I went to the salon for the first time in 3 1/2 months.

I allowed my friend to give me a home perm (olive oil) after a 15wk stretch then I went to the salon to get a wash and set.

The stylist asked me how often I get a relaxer, I told her every 12 -15 wks. And braced myself for the expect response of " why do u stretch that long, your hair will break.. blah blah blah". BUT I was pleasantly surprised when she instead said, "well you should really not be getting a relaxer more than every 6 MONTHS!! This is what we learn in hair school, your hair really needs time to rebuild after, a relaxer is a really strong chemical... plus you should do a strand test before you get a relaxer, and see if your hair is strong enough to take a chemical at that time."

I couldn't believe my ears. I am used to stylist complaining about my hair when i go in for a wash and set after 10wks post, talking me that i need to get a relaxer. And I told her this.

She said those stylist just want to make more money, because all you need is some wash and sets, frequent treatments (which she encouraged me to do at home by myself) and you will be all set.

ok that is all for my long post.. I just had to share.

Thanks!

PS. she also said mizani has a new relaxer out which comes with all these things to protect your hair shaft from the relaxer, and prevents overlapping. Any one ever heard of this?

WOW! I wish she was in Maryland. I am glad you had a great experience.

Its amazing the people will destroy for a buck.

I think that she is talking about Mizani butter blends. Payne's beauty supply has it. I have also heard the six month thing from an old school stylist. She said as time went on the companies kept decreasing the wait time between retraces so that those that did it at home had to buy the chemical more often.

Ohhhh, I am taking heed! If I can last that long. :lachen: MY sister-in-law, who has WL hair, told me the same thing. She gets relaxers every 6 months. My husband swears she doesn't have one, and she is just sending me off:rolleyes:. But, I know she told me this!:grin:

I allowed my friend to give me a home perm (olive oil) after a 15wk stretch then I went to the salon to get a wash and set.

The stylist asked me how often I get a relaxer, I told her every 12 -15 wks. And braced myself for the expect response of " why do u stretch that long, your hair will break.. blah blah blah". BUT I was pleasantly surprised when she instead said, "well you should really not be getting a relaxer more than every 6 MONTHS!! This is what we learn in hair school, your hair really needs time to rebuild after, a relaxer is a really strong chemical... plus you should do a strand test before you get a relaxer, and see if your hair is strong enough to take a chemical at that time."

I couldn't believe my ears. I am used to stylist complaining about my hair when i go in for a wash and set after 10wks post, talking me that i need to get a relaxer. And I told her this.

She said those stylist just want to make more money, because all you need is some wash and sets, frequent treatments (which she encouraged me to do at home by myself) and you will be all set.

Thanks!

PS. she also said mizani has a new relaxer out which comes with all these things to protect your hair shaft from the relaxer, and prevents overlapping. Any one ever heard of this?

Wow, I'm so glad you had a great salon experience. I wonder if she's a lurker on LHCF. LOL.

Anyways, I think she's referring to
Mizani Butter Blends. They have this one part of the line called Honey Shield, and you're supposed to use it on the processed hair to prevent overlapping. I recently got a relaxer after a 6 month stretch and this relaxer laid my hair OUT. My relaxer came out bangin' (as you can see in my fotki) but I also had no burns. And this is coming from a tenderheaded sista. Believe me, I'm going to purchase this relaxer kit myself once I become a complete DIYer.

That's great, you really lucked out girl!

I KNOW you're excited! :grin:

Wow, I'm so glad you had a great salon experience. I wonder if she's a lurker on LHCF. LOL.

Anyways, I think she's referring to
Mizani Butter Blends. They have this one part of the line called Honey Shield, and you're supposed to use it on the processed hair to prevent overlapping. I recently got a relaxer after a 6 month stretch and this relaxer laid my hair OUT. My relaxer came out bangin' (as you can see in my fotki) but I also had no burns. And this is coming from a tenderheaded sista. Believe me, I'm going to purchase this relaxer kit myself once I become a complete DIYer.

THAT SOUNDS GREAT!! I CANT WAIT TO 6 more months to TRY IT!! :grin:I hope i am really going to be able to last that long. Please pm me or post here with your techniques while u stretched that long!!

Wow, she had some good advice. Seems like she cares about her customer's hair. See, it's stylists like that, that make me wanna give them my money. She'd be earning it for sure. That's great. :headspin:

yup for once I really Wanted to give a great tip. Not just tipping out of necessity!

What a wonderful thing for a stylist to say! I've found for my hair relaxing twice a year is all my hair can take. I'll admit that this is my first year doing so thanks to this site but stretching is so great for my hair overall!

I wish your stylist was in Maryland.

WOW! I wish she was in Maryland. I am glad you had a great experience.

Its amazing the people will destroy for a buck.

You said it!! I was shocked just reading your post! I don't think that I have EVER heard a stylist say something like that at all. WOW!! I wish there were stylist like that here in Ohio........that didn't charge an arm and a leg for services........

I have heard this before. I have also heard that frequent relaxers is why the average blck womans hair is not so long now as compare to the old days.

What a KEEPER!
She seems to be very well informed!
Yall'r making me want to cheat on my ORS No Lye with Mazani Butter Blends.:blush:

Thanks!

Wow that sounds too good to be true. You gave gorgeous hair. I notice your from Beantown, please hook a sister up. Would you mind PM'ing me her info.

What a KEEPER!
She seems to be very well informed!
Yall'r making me want to cheat on my ORS No Lye with Mazani Butter Blends.:blush:

ME TOO!! I just tried ors olive oil on tuesday, and now that I heard about this, I am soo tempted.. actually no i am sold! on the new mizani thing.. 6 more months.. hope i make it!!

Wow...there is no way in the world I could wait six months to relax my hair.....I'm 11 weeks post and it was to much work with 2 textures...

THAT SOUNDS GREAT!! I CANT WAIT TO 6 more months to TRY IT!! :grin:I hope i am really going to be able to last that long. Please pm me or post here with your techniques while u stretched that long!!

What kept me going for six months was:

1. Coconut milk. Lord knows where my NG would have been without this heaven sent stuff. Check out the Hair Recipe Board for the thread about this.

2. A great detangler spray. Mane & Tail Detangler spray was a serious help for me.

3. Using a shower comb as my regular comb.

4. Actually sticking to daily moisture & weekly light protein. Keeping my moisture/protein balance was extremely important to retaining length and creating NG.

5. Washing every week at least. Even when I didn't feel like it, I had to wash every week. And if I had time, fit in a CW. But when I stretched, I tried to keep the manipulation down, but my NG wasn't having it when I was late on a wash.

6. Invest in some protective styling. Wigs, weaves, ponytails, buns, etc. Now I'm just now making it to SL, so I didn't have enough hair before to do ponytails and buns. Since I do now, that's what I'll be doing.

7. Deep condition!

8. Cheapie conditioners are your friend when it comes to detangling and pre-pooing. Suave Milk & Honey or Tropical Coconut will slice through that NG like butter.

That's all I can think of right now. HTH. :yep:

Wow...there is no way in the world I could wait six months to relax my hair.....I'm 11 weeks post and it was to much work with 2 textures...

it is seriously going to be hard! I am going to need to buy some scurl or something! plus i now know a stylist that will be willing to help me through it!:yep:

Back