Relaxer touch-up after 3 weeks?!?

leigh.hill

My mom got a relaxer last week and her stylist said that it didn't "take" too well. She asked my mom what she had on her scalp and my mom said - avocado oil (she has serb. dermatitus and this helps to keep down the itching). Anyway, the stylist politely said that the avocado oil was probably the reason that the relaxer did not take too well. My mom is satisified with the results of the relaxer even though it is not bone straight. The stylist is not satified and wants to put another relaxer in next week, no charge. She says it will be just fine since she is going to use a mild relaxer.

What do you think? Touch-up after three weeks? My mom's hair is VERY dry and broken off in certain places.

Sondice

Nooooooooo! Not at all. Sounds like what the stylist wanted her to get is a corrective relaxer. Ure suppose to wait at least 6 weeks for those. At the end of the day her hair was still exposed to those chemicals, and if u dont wait long enough to do it, serious breakage will happen.

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Don't let your mom go back to get a corrective relaxer only 3 weeks after!! t will only lead to serious breakage :nono: 6 weeks is the minimum time to wait.

KinkyGenius

I must be missing something.....if your mother is satisfied with the results, why is this even a question? And I don't mean that in a rude way at all.

Shananyganz

Hmmm....it seems as if maybe the stylist is moreso concerned about what she wants versus what your mother wants. Maybe...possibly...probably??

If moms is okay with the outcome I say don't go or at least wait longer than 3 weeks...free or not.

~S~

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
If your mom already has scalp issues with the dermatitis I don't think relaxing 3 weeks later (mild or not) will help. Another vote for no
And if your mom is happy with the results I wouldn't go back. I would even be suspicious of going back for my regular relaxer appointment bc she might pull the relaxer further down than she needs to

leigh.hill

I must be missing something.....if your mother is satisfied with the results, why is this even a question? And I don't mean that in a rude way at all.

Yeah I don't understand that either, but my mom was just going to go with the flow and get the "mild" touchup.

bimtheduck

I had to get a corrective a few weeks ago and my stylist insisted that I wait at least 5-6 weeks. I took her advice and it turned out nice.
There's a corrective thread somewhere, ill find it for you.