I Looked in the Mirror and What Did I See...?

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
A face covered in hives, staring back at me.

Remember the movie 'Hitch' with Will Smith? Well I had the very same reaction he did when I saw my face in my bathroom mirror yesterday afternoon. :peek: :shocked:

:yep: Yes, my face is broken out in hives. :blush3: :lol:

After the big shock, and taking a visit to the doctor today, all is well and my skin is healing. I'm using Cortizone 10 which seems to be pretty good.

I have absolutely no idea how or why this happened. Right now, it's anyone's guess. :perplexed I haven't changed my routine for my skin care. It's pretty basic for the most part as I rinse it with clear water most of the time, unless I wear make-up, I then use olive or coconut oil to remove it. I also use Philosophy's Purity Made Simple for a deep facial cleansing about once or twice a week with my Clarisonic.

My Clarisonic brushes are cleaned regularly and changed to a new one as well.

The only things that changed lately are the following:

1. Last Friday [12/17] I had a flu shot at my doctor's office
2. Monday we had lunch at a new restaurant [Japanese/Hawaiian] with my boss and we ordered appetizers which consisted of shrimp and calamari [first time for calamari]
3. Tuesday, I had a veggie patty from the salad bar which also had shrimp in it.
4. I took aspirin instead of Tylenol for a headache. I've used Tylenol for years, but changed to Bayer aspirin. *shoulder shrugs* :perplexed:
5. My family has been having some holiday stress, missing my mom. :yep:

*sigh* I look like I have the measles. No itching or other discomforts. Both sides of my face [entire cheek areas] look like one huge red blush of a tiny rash. The doctor was very gentle and assured me that there was nothing to worry about, that it is just a reaction to a change or irritation to something like a soap or detergent. But I haven't changed either of those.

I'm glad I'm not vain.... :look: :grin: :gorgeous: :reddancer: I'm used to having clear skin; no wrinkles, no nothing.

As I'm sitting here batting my eyelashes, Ahh Yeah... I'm vain. :lol:

Any thoughts on this, Angels? I welcome your input and advice. :love3:

Thanks for 'listening' to my weepy woe. I love you all. :bighug:

Last edited:

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
That happened to me when I tried to hurry up my antibiotics and took the 2 or 3 in one gulp. Uh, no bueno for me!

Do you think it's the calamari? Do you always get flu shots? I am just trying to figure out what happened.

I know you are still beautiful!!! (((HUGS)))

Shimmie

Staff member
That happened to me when I tried to hurry up my antibiotics and took the 2 or 3 in one gulp. Uh, no bueno for me!

Do you think it's the calamari? Do you always get flu shots? I am just trying to figure out what happened.

I know you are still beautiful!!! (((HUGS)))

:kiss: Thanks Lucie. No, I haven't had a flu shot in over 3 years. I usually do quite well without them. I took one this year because it was such a stressful year with family changes and I needed more time to rebuild my resistance. Plus, too many people around me at work were getting sick with colds, bugs and such, so I took the shot for that reason as well.

I was thinking that it was the calamari and/or the shrimp since I don't eat them on a regular basis. It was the first time I ate calamari. I do know that shrimp is not good for my blood type which is A. I'm an avid reader of the book, Eating for Your Blood Type.

Thanks again, Lucie. I love you. :love3:

You're still gorgeous.. Let it heal. You'll be even gorgeouser

:kiss: Thank you luthiengirlie. I love the word, gorgeourser... :lol:

I love you too. :love3:

paradise79

:poke::poke: vain shimmie......:lachen:
I will give a particular attention to shrimps and calamari (the word in french is "calamar" :yep:)...it may result from eating it this week.

I had similar reaction years ago with crabs only and all of a sudden last year, I ate shrimps and bang!!! got the same reaction, whereas I was eating it without any prob all those years. go and figure :perplexed, I love shrimps

sunnysmyler

Awww Shimms, I'm so sorry this has happened to you. My 3yr old had a similar reaction recently and I don't know what caused his rash either. The Dr said that I would have to wait months after the reaction cleared up before they could test him to see what he's allergic to. He had the rash "everywhere" and once it cleared up, the skin began to peel something serious. It's like he had a dermabrasion peel, cause the new skin is soooo soft. lol.
The Dr told me only benadryl and if it didn't clear up, they'd give me a prescription for something stronger.

I pray you feel better quickly so that you can enjoy the holiday weekend!

Merry Christmas.......<<<tight hug>>>>>

Guitarhero

A face covered in hives, staring back at me.

Remember the movie 'Hitch' with Will Smith? Well I had the very same reaction he did when I saw my face in my bathroom mirror yesterday afternoon. :peek: :shocked:

:yep: Yes, my face is broken out in hives. :blush3: :lol:

1. Last Friday [12/17] I had a flu shot at my doctor's office
2. Monday we had lunch at a new restaurant [Japanese/Hawaiian] with my boss and we ordered appetizers which consisted of shrimp and calamari [first time for calamari]
3. Tuesday, I had a veggie patty from the salad bar which also had shrimp in it.
4. I took aspirin instead of Tylenol for a headache. I've used Tylenol for years, but changed to Bayer aspirin. *shoulder shrugs* :perplexed:
5. My family has been having some holiday stress, missing my mom. :yep:

Re: I Looked in the Mirror and What Did I See...?

I went to the hoop and what did I see?? General George Armstrong Custer was a guarding me, was a guarding me! :lachen:I just watched Smoke Signals last night. (twas a basketball scene from the movie)

Anyhoo, it's probably the seafood or some sauce they used, like fish sauce or something. Well, you all hug each other as much as you need!!! Even shed a tear. She is there with you all, loving you all just the same.
:bighug:

Last edited:

Shimmie

Staff member
:poke::poke: vain shimmie......:lachen:
I will give a particular attention to shrimps and calamari (the word in french is "calamar" :yep:)...it may result from eating it this week.

I had similar reaction years ago with crabs only and all of a sudden last year, I ate shrimps and bang!!! got the same reaction, whereas I was eating it without any prob all those years. go and figure :perplexed, I love shrimps

:kiss: Thank you Sweet Paradise.... :love2:

Dang those little "Skrimps" :lol: :lol: :lol:

The thing is, I was only eating to be 'social' ... :lol: It was our office lunch for the holiday and we were having a really nice time. It's strange because I don't eat shrimp or calamari; I thought it was harmless; it was a huge dish of pretty appetizers :lick:. Oh well... :lol:

I love you, Angel... :grouphug2:

Last edited:

Shimmie

Staff member
Awww Shimms, I'm so sorry this has happened to you. My 3yr old had a similar reaction recently and I don't know what caused his rash either. The Dr said that I would have to wait months after the reaction cleared up before they could test him to see what he's allergic to. He had the rash "everywhere" and once it cleared up, the skin began to peel something serious. It's like he had a dermabrasion peel, cause the new skin is soooo soft. lol.
The Dr told me only benadryl and if it didn't clear up, they'd give me a prescription for something stronger.

I pray you feel better quickly so that you can enjoy the holiday weekend!

Merry Christmas.......<<<tight hug>>>>>

:wave: Hi Sunny... Precious Sunshine. :kiss: Thank you :love3:

I'm sorry this happen to you son. Children are so precious and it always breaks my heart when something hurts them. I'm glad his skin cleared up.

You've given me something to look forward to and I find it interesting. Here's why. I was thinking out loud to the Lord a few weeks ago about 'new skin'. :lol: I need to be careful about what I pray for, as it looks as if the Lord is giving me a new skin peel with brand new baby soft skin to follow. :lol:

I love you, God bless you and your loved ones. :love3:

Shimmie

Staff member
Re: I Looked in the Mirror and What Did I See...?

I went to the hoop and what did I see?? General George Armstrong Custer was a guarding me, was a guarding me! :lachen:I just watched Smoke Signals last night. (twas a basketball scene from the movie)

Anyhoo, it's probably the seafood or some sauce they used, like fish sauce or something. Well, you all hug each other as much as you need!!! Even shed a tear. She is there with you all, loving you all just the same.
:bighug:

:kiss: Thank you, Angel. I love you too. :love3:

mrselle

Are you allergic to eggs? It could be a reaction to the flu shot. Or it could also be plain ol' stress.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this. Be well and have a very Merry Christmas.

Shimmie

Staff member
Are you allergic to eggs? It could be a reaction to the flu shot. Or it could also be plain ol' stress.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this. Be well and have a very Merry Christmas.

:kiss: Thanks Mrselle for the well wishes. :love2:

As for an allergy to the eggs, I hope not :lol: I love eggs and eat them a lot. :lick: scrambled and boiled. The weird thing is that I've haven't had a rash in decades [don't ask how many... :look: :lol:].

Happy Christmas blessings sweet lady to you and hubby and your loved ones. :Rose:

Crown

I think it's the combination shrimps/aspirin. Please, Shimmie, be careful. Sometimes, this can be very serious. Halleluyah, you are well.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Who-Gets-Hives?&id=1823442
Hives, known in the medical literature as urticaria, are a localized itchy outbreak of the skin. In this essentially allergic reaction, the skin breaks out in bumps surrounded by elongated flares. These "hives" are referred to as wheals or welts. The welts tend to be pink except that they turn white when touched. Welts may coalesce into plaques covering substantial areas of skin.
Aspirin sensitivity is observed in up to 67 percent of persons who have recurrent outbreaks of hives. Aspirin alters the metabolism of free fatty acids so that it favors the production of leukotrienes. These are hormonal messengers that make the walls of blood vessels more permeable to histamine. Aspirin also makes the lining of the intestines more permeable to allergens, increasing the risk of reaction to common food allergens such as cheese, chocolate, eggs, milk, pineapple, shellfish, and strawberries.

http://www.allallergy.net/fapaidfind.cfm?cdeoc=1410
Shrimp is traditionally considered to be a highly allergenic food....
Administration of aspirin before ingestion of food allergens (wheat or shrimp) induced urticaria in one patient and urticaria and hypotension in another, while aspirin alone or food alone elicited no response.

http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/article/200321/000020032103A0644893.php
Abstract;A 58-year old female has been suffered for anaphylactic symptoms with systemic urticaria and dyspnea several times. After the meal with shrimp, she took Sedes and Voltaren. About 30 minutes later, the attack occurred. The same symptom was induced by intake of aspirin and shrimp. Provocation test of shrimp only is negative, although skin test and RAST of shrimp is positive. This case suggest that aspirin and NSAIDs act as a provoking factor in food allergy.

Shimmie

Staff member
I think it's the combination shrimps/aspirin. Please, Shimmie, be careful. Sometimes, this can be very serious. Halleluyah, you are well.

Who Gets Hives?
Hives, known in the medical literature as urticaria, are a localized itchy outbreak of the skin. In this essentially allergic reaction, the skin breaks out in bumps surrounded by elongated flares. These "hives" are referred to as wheals or welts. The welts tend to be pink except that they turn white when touched. Welts may coalesce into plaques covering substantial areas of skin.
Aspirin sensitivity is observed in up to 67 percent of persons who have recurrent outbreaks of hives. Aspirin alters the metabolism of free fatty acids so that it favors the production of leukotrienes. These are hormonal messengers that make the walls of blood vessels more permeable to histamine.

Aspirin also makes the lining of the intestines more permeable to allergens, increasing the risk of reaction to common food allergens such as cheese, chocolate, eggs, milk, pineapple, shellfish, and strawberries.

AllergyNet - Allergy Advisor Find
Shrimp is traditionally considered to be a highly allergenic food....
Administration of aspirin before ingestion of food allergens (wheat or shrimp) induced urticaria in one patient and urticaria and hypotension in another, while aspirin alone or food alone elicited no response.

Science Links Japan | A Case of Anaphylaxis due to Shrimp Associated with NSAIDs
Abstract;A 58-year old female has been suffered for anaphylactic symptoms with systemic urticaria and dyspnea several times.

After the meal with shrimp, she took Sedes and Voltaren. About 30 minutes later, the attack occurred. The same symptom was induced by intake of aspirin and shrimp. Provocation test of shrimp only is negative, although skin test and RAST of shrimp is positive. This case suggest that aspirin and NSAIDs act as a provoking factor in food allergy.

:kiss: Crown, thank you so much for sharing this. I had absolutely no idea about this combination. When I say God bless you, I mean it with all of my heart. You know, the holidays are times when many have a tendency to eat different foods 'unawares', and this year I am one of them.

I thank God for your wisdom and the heart that you took to gather and share this information for me. :grouphug2: I'm going to save this in my Natural Care files in my computer. :up:

Each of you here have been so supportive. Leave it to me to post a thread of hives.... :spinning: :lol: I love all of you and praise God for your compassion and sharing.

Precious Crown, please, have the most wonderful holiday ever, you and your loved ones. :love2:

ETA: Crown, as I was re-reading the information you shared, I noticed that aspirin can cause an allergic reaction when one eats cheese, chocolate, eggs, milk, pineapple, shellfish, and strawberries .....

All of these have been in my diet, especially the eggs {I love eggs}; pineapple and strawberries [are in my almost daily fruit smoothies], which includes Papaya and orange juice and guarana: Gee whiz - this all seems harmless ..... And um.... :sekret: the Chocolate.... :hide:

Okay... now I'm getting some solid answers here to the causes.

Thanks so much again for this information, Crown. :giveheart:

Last edited:

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Shimmie, I don't know anything about hives...but I hope you're doing better!

Shimmie

Staff member
Shimmie, I don't know anything about hives...but I hope you're doing better!

Awww, thanks Laela. :kiss:

It's really clearing up. You know I 'worried' God about this... BIG TIME! :pray: :cry: :pray: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The swelling is completely gone on both side of my face, the reddness has subsided quite a lot and the tiny breakouts are clearing up as well. I acutally have 'new' skin each time an area clears.

Blessings to you and everyone who helped and prayed for me. I was a tearful wreck. :lol: ... :Rose:

Glib Gurl

You scared me with this thread title, Shimmie! :naughty: I thought you were going to say you saw an angel or, worse yet, a demon!

(Yes, I always assume the worst in the spiritual realm.)

ART11

Shimmie, I am allergic to everything. When I was a child, before they had good meds over-the-counter, I stayed in the ER getting Benadryl shots for hives. My allergist taught me a trick a few years ago. When I get the hives I take one Zyrtec OR Claritin WITH a Zantac 75 OR Zantac 150. The way he explained it was that Zyrtec and Claritin are HISTAMINE 1 blockers and that Zantac (even though it is an antacid) is a HISTAMINE 2 blocker. They stay in my purse at all times. Together they wield a mighty sword and saved me many a trip to the ER. I hope you are all better by now!

Shimmie

Staff member
Shimmie, I am allergic to everything. When I was a child, before they had good meds over-the-counter, I stayed in the ER getting Benadryl shots for hives. My allergist taught me a trick a few years ago.

When I get the hives I take one Zyrtec OR Claritin WITH a Zantac 75 OR Zantac 150. The way he explained it was that Zyrtec and Claritin are HISTAMINE 1 blockers and that Zantac (even though it is an antacid) is a HISTAMINE 2 blocker. They stay in my purse at all times. Together they wield a mighty sword and saved me many a trip to the ER. I hope you are all better by now!

Awww Lily... :hug2: I'm so sorry you had to go through this. Thank you for sharing this information with me. It's valuable and I'm making a note to purchase each of these. I am also planning to see an Allergist.

The irony of this entire experience is that my skin is softer and it looks clearer on the areas where the 'rash' has cleared up.

I still have a 'blush' all over my face. It looks rosey, especially at night and it's warm to the touch. However, it's better than it was this time last week when it first occurred.

I thank God for you, your life, your health, and your total healing from allergies; no more ER's for you, ever. You are a precious 'Lily' dressed in splendor, who neither spin, nor toil; God is your complete Provider for your every dream and every desire and total healing.

God bless you, precious Lily. Happy New Year to you and your loved ones. :love2:

Shimmie

Staff member
^^^Well, I'm glad all is well... blessings to you!

Laela, thank you for checking in on me. It's getting better each day. To God be the Glory. :yep:

Happy New Year to you and hubby. I wish you both the happiest and the very best of everything you have ever dreamed and desired. :love2:

Shimmie

Staff member
You scared me with this thread title, Shimmie! :naughty: I thought you were going to say you saw an angel or, worse yet, a demon!

(Yes, I always assume the worst in the spiritual realm.)

Hey sweet 'GG'. Thank you for coming in. :yep: Bless your heart.

Happy New Year to you, full of love and blessings. :giveheart: