I lost so much hair....

LizLeila

Last night I could not wait to the weekend, so I decided to do my relaxer on a Tuesday night. :)

I used ORS relaxer. Things were going pretty well. I was able to do a good job of just getting my roots (mind you, my last relaxer was before Thanksgiving, so it wasnt that hard). The only problem that I faced was in the last quarter of my hair (front right). I ran out of relaxer, so I think some of that newgrowth may be underprocessed. It has the quality of texturized hair, but is still pretty strait. I will keep my eye on that.

The part of the process that caused me the most distress was the amount of hair I lost after using my new KeraCare Humecto. I have NEVER lost so much hair after a relaxer. Usually it is just a few strands. But I dont think this product worked on my hair at all. :( There was little or no slip. I had to really slab it on to even comb thru my hair. I am really distressed about this because I just bought the tub and the bottle.

Ladies, any suggestions on what the problem could have been? I did just take my hair out of individual braids last week. Should I have done an Aphoghee treatment after relaxing and THEN used the Humecto?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Perhaps, it was product build up on your hair. Humecto is normally a very "slippy" conditioner. I know when my normally "slippy" conditioners don't do the job, it's usually because I have build up and need to clarify.

LizLeila

Supergirl said:
Perhaps, it was product build up on your hair. Humecto is normally a very "slippy" conditioner. I know when my normally "slippy" conditioners don't do the job, it's usually because I have build up and need to clarify.

I was just really surprised because usually after a relaxer, my hair will accept whatever I put on it. I know some ladies use ACV rinses to clarify. Is it advisable to use it right after a relaxer?

I was so eager to use that Humecto. It just smells so yummy. I had been sniffing it for days before I used it. :)

Another question, because I basically texturized one of my sections, how soon can I go back and correct that or do I need to wait another six months?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
No I wouldn't advise using ACV after a relaxer. You really had no way of knowing that your hair needed to be clarified (If that was the case). The only solution would have been to clarify whenever your last wash before the relaxer was.

No, you don't have to wait 6 months to correct the under-processed part, but I would wait at the very least 4 weeks.

Edited: I meant "advise" not "advice" Oops!

Last edited:

LizLeila

Supergirl said:
No I wouldn't advice using ACV after a relaxer. You really had no way of knowing that your hair needed to be clarify (If that was the case). The only solution would have been to clarify whenever your last wash before the relaxer was.

No, you don't have to wait 6 months to correct the under-processed part, but I would wait at the very least 4 weeks.

Thanks Supergirl!

aileenadq

Hi Liz,

Actually, I WOULD use an ACV rinse on your very next wash. The vinegar is acidic, and will counteract the lye (which is a base). Just make sure that it is well diluted.

JMHO.
Aileen

LizLeila

aileenadq said:
Hi Liz,

Actually, I WOULD use an ACV rinse on your very next wash. The vinegar is acidic, and will counteract the lye (which is a base). Just make sure that it is well diluted.

JMHO.
Aileen

Thanks. I will give it a try. Can I just use any ACV? I have to do something, because after last night, I was seriously thinking that I am going to have to put all that humecto up on the Product Exchange board.

DahomeyAhosi

Kercare Humecto made my hair a tangled mess the one and only time I used it. It's one of the two products I threw away rather than force myself to use up. Maybe it doesn't agree with you either.

MsCounsel

I just relaxed my hair after a 12.5 week stretch. Before that I used ORS RELAXER!!!!!!!!!!! MY hair is sooooo, well was... (better now thanks to this site) so jacked up that I swore that I'd never use it again. I was very dissapointed by the results.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
aileenadq said:
Hi Liz,

JMHO.
Aileen

Not to be contradictory in a disrespectful way, but this is exactly why I would NOT advise doing an ACV after your relaxer. I wouldn't even do it a week after a relaxer. Maybe a clarifying poo, but yes the ACV is acidic and will counteract the base in the relaxer which just might revert your relaxer. Wait a little while.

Ladylynn

LizLeila said:
Last night I could not wait to the weekend, so I decided to do my relaxer on a Tuesday night. :)

I used ORS relaxer. Things were going pretty well. I was able to do a good job of just getting my roots (mind you, my last relaxer was before Thanksgiving, so it wasnt that hard). The only problem that I faced was in the last quarter of my hair (front right). I ran out of relaxer, so I think some of that newgrowth may be underprocessed. It has the quality of texturized hair, but is still pretty strait. I will keep my eye on that.

The part of the process that caused me the most distress was the amount of hair I lost after using my new KeraCare Humecto. I have NEVER lost so much hair after a relaxer. Usually it is just a few strands. But I dont think this product worked on my hair at all. :( There was little or no slip. I had to really slab it on to even comb thru my hair. I am really distressed about this because I just bought the tub and the bottle.

Ladies, any suggestions on what the problem could have been? I did just take my hair out of individual braids last week. Should I have done an Aphoghee treatment after relaxing and THEN used the Humecto?

Would you say that you lost hair due to the relaxer or the humecto? Did you lose the hair before or after you neutralized/conditioned? I was really thinking about using this relaxer in about a week. I was hearing such great things about it.

LizLeila

Ladylynn said:
Would you say that you lost hair due to the relaxer or the humecto? Did you lose the hair before or after you neutralized/conditioned? I was really thinking about using this relaxer in about a week. I was hearing such great things about it.

I lost teh hair after I neutralized and conditioned. I have used this relaxer before with no problems. I would definitely recommend the relaxer. That is why I was thinking it was the humecto. I have never lost so much hair during a relaxer before. I wonder if maybe I over-conditioned or something too, because my hair was just so "mushy."