I need help!!! My hair refuses to grow

belyak

I BC 27/07/2011. But my hair is about 3ins long stretched. I co wash every other day and deep condition at least once a week, I do a protein treatment every 4 weeks or so. I suffer from a very sensitive scalp also it doesn't like too much oil.

I would like to grow my hair so I can at least wear it in a bun. As I am unable to wear my hair out at the length it's now due to bald patches.

Please I would be grateful for your advice.

HanaKuroi

What are the products you are using?

Have you had your thyroid checked?

Are you anemic?

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

k_enitan

Re: I need help!!! My hair refuses to grow

The previous posters are right, it is probably a health issue and as manter26 says, see a doctor.

This has nothing to do with products and most people refuse to believe that hair might not grow or grow at a very slow rate without you doing anything wrong

I had a similar problem, my hair grew a total of just 2in'(from shaved bald and I experienced zero breakage) in the first year of my current journey. Like you, i have a a very sensitive scalp + issues(psoriasis, dermatitis, folliculitis), and I had to shave my hair off due to a nasty bout with psoriasis, so I figured that first year was my scalp healing.

After then my growth rate has improved, though no more that 4-5in growth in a year

I have the patchy baldness, but I am hoping this will improve when I correct my Ferritin levels.

So go see a doctor, have them do tests for autoimmune issues and a thorough blood work, to ascertain your ferritin levels and others

Good luck!

belyak

Thank you for responding, I too have suffered for years with folliculitis. It is now under control thank goodness. I have been to my doctor before and was diagnosed with anaemia but not chronic. Other than that nothing came up in the tests. I going to do back to my doctor again. What should tests should I ensure the doctor give me? Oh yeah I live in UK.

k_enitan

I actually was living in the UK when I was first diagnosed(king's college hospital)

I don't know the name of the tests for autoimmune diseases, but you could ask to be tested for thyroid, lupus

Also ask for a comprehensive blood/iron work, which will show your haemoglobin and ferrritin levels. Most doctors ignore the ferritin and it is believed that you need to be around 70 for hair to regrow( mine was around 12-16 back in 2007, which the doctors noted but didnt do anything about and I recently did a test which puts me at 26)

If iron/ferritin is the issue, look up Florisene @ Amazon.co.uk
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000KHVKIO/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also look to incorporating more protein into your diet via protein shakes/biotin/eggs

Good luck!

ETA: scalp massages will also increase circulation to your scalp and might stimulate growth ( my doctor actually asked me to massage it every day)

Last edited:

k_enitan

My scalp is also very sensitive to oils/products

The only oil it tolerates is extra virgin coconut oil and I use it as a prepoo(covered with plastic bag to create a steam effect) to lift any scales/dirt and I wash it off with black soap ( Sheamoisture African soap shampoo has worked for some)

I also try to avoid conditioners touching my scalp.

belyak

I actually was living in the UK when I was first diagnosed(king's college hospital)

I don't know the name of the tests for autoimmune diseases, but you could ask to be tested for thyroid, lupus

Also ask for a comprehensive blood/iron work, which will show your haemoglobin and ferrritin levels. Most doctors ignore the ferritin and it is believed that you need to be around 70 for hair to regrow( mine was around 12-16 back in 2007, which the doctors noted but didnt do anything about and I recently did a test which puts me at 26)

If iron/ferritin is the issue, look up Florisene @ Amazon.co.uk
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000KHVKIO/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also look to incorporating more protein into your diet via protein shakes/biotin/eggs

Good luck!

ETA: scalp massages will also increase circulation to your scalp and might stimulate growth ( my doctor actually asked me to massage it every day)

k_enitan I was diagnosed at Kings College hospital as well.

I have booked an appointment with my GP for next Tuesday, hopeful there is a light at the end of the tunnel as its kinda getting down now.

Thank you again for your advice.