I need help!!!

RockRideTrue

Hiya Ladies!
I'm having a major problem, I big chopped January of last year, my length is now just above my shoulders, a little further past my ears, its barely growing now. I'm really lost, I thought I would have more growth by now. I'm a 4b-4c/low po/high density/thin strand the worst combination in my opinion. My hair is REALLY dense, but my strands are really thin, and then I have these crazy strands the feel and texture of Kankelon hair but on the same head towards my kitchen there are 3B/3c curls, IDK how. I have a problem with low manipulation styles, I realized I can't wear mini twists on my natural hair because my hair decides to revolt and form a thousand SSKs, that have to be cut out b/c I hate the feel of them. I can't form a bun b/c my hair is too short, and I can't wear it down or out /c y texture is too tight and will tangle around it self. I'm lost, and I'm really eyeing one of those curl loosen-ers, but I doubt that'll help any. Can any one suggest styles, and ways to combat the SSKs? I'll be eternally grateful.

westNDNbeauty

have you considered stretching your hair to prevent SSKs and then twisting it up?

You should post a pic of your hair.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
What is your regimen? What products are you using? Have you tried stretched -out styles?

lamaria211

Please post your Reggie and products you use and I agree a pic would help. Have you tried braids or wigs or weaves just until you get out of the awkward stage

RockRideTrue

I'm trying to post a pic.
Right now I'm wearing genie locks,yep in 100 degree Chicago summers I was out rocking a head full of yarn-its that serious. I wear a satin scarf nightly, I only wash the minute I feel the grime, and I try to cowash about twice a month, if that. My hair tangles easily and because its thick and I don't have the arm strength to always be separating it, just to find it in one bunch again and with major tangles I try to limit the amount of times I wash it.
I use TW body mistifier (sp?) for quick moisture, Cantu as my leave-in, and when I shampoo (right now I'm using Dr. Bronners) I DC with Edens Jojaba DC (I'm trying it out, I'm not so sure I like it) I also spray my hair wiht a combo of water, Vatika oil and TJ Condish
Another major problem for me is that when my hair is moisturized it can stay like that for a while, but the minute I decide to wash my hair, it spazzes out and can side-job as spool of steel wool, and DC'ing does not help, another reason I avoid washing.

The only streching out I'm aware of is twisting, braiding, blowdrying, and using rollers to curl the hair, and once I do that what type of style can I put it in without it tangling on me? Thanks!!

lamaria211

I think your washing with the wrong products, if anything makes your hair feel bad Stop using it! I used to have that problem now I use Hair One or Wen and now washing is a moisturizing fun experience. Even sulfate free poos make my hair hard n dry so I don't use those any more either. And you don't have to poo every time you wash try just DCing on dry hair then rinsing and then using a moisturizing leave in. How often are you using protien?

RockRideTrue

B/c my hair is low porosity and natural, and I have henna'd I've stopped using protein, and the few times I've had since going natural I really didn't enjoy the feel of my hair.

Here are the pics, excuse the poor quality, and even poorer cropping out of my face...

RockRideTrue

More pictures...

The ones with the clips separating my hair form the twists were taken in June, the one with the twists was taken in May 2011, and so was the one with I believe is a shrunken fro. When I was doing my twists My hair was somewhat shrunken if that helps.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Thanks for the information and photos.

1. Wash your hair in sections; braid your hair in 8-12 sections, and keep them in while you wash, and deep condition. Your hair is less likely to tangle up on you if you keep the hair stretched.

2. Keeping your hair in moisturized braids or twists while it dries saves you from extra tangling. Don't allow your hair to dry in its shrunken state. From there, you can style your hair anyway that you like. You can twist it up with a heavy butter, concentrating the butter on your ends; you can wear a curly fro via bantu-knot out, cornrows or flat twists into an updo... You have innumerable styling options.

3. If you like yarn braids/genie locs, I suggest you spritz or cowash your hair regularly. You don't want your hair to dry and break due to lack of moisture.

The key to keeping the SSKs away, is by keeping your hair, and particularly the ends, stretched. Using a thick cream or oil on those ends will reduce the chances that they will curl up and around themselves.

lamaria211

Voni128 said:
If I was to DC I would leave the braids in while doing it?

Yes I wash and DC in braids ( minis) males life so much easier. Never let your hair dry free that's asking for trouble

Victoria44

If I was to DC I would leave the braids in while doing it?

yup! I do the whole wash process in braids.

1. detangle in medium sections with a rinse out conditioner, and put the detangled hair in chunky braids all over my head. I leave a little room at the roots so I can get my fingers to my scalp..

2. shampoo my scalp in those braids, without unravellling them at all. The shampoo runs through the braids and cleans my hair fine

3. Then I go straight to the deep conditioner since I already detangled before hand. I unravel each braid one by one, apply the deep conditioner and braid it back up.

4. Rinse the DC, without unravelling braids

5. apply leave-in and oil to each section, and braid back up to dry

I had a huge problem with SSKs but once I started keeping my hair stretched at ALL times it lessened greatly :yep:

Blairx0

We should hang out because my hair is the same and while didn't wear braids through Chicago's "heat wave" I wished ( some days) I wore braids.

Are you sealing your ends? My hair hates shampoo also, but I can use the TJ nourish spa diluted with water to avoid tangles. I banana clip bun which I would think can be done on any length hair. Good luck! With so many great places for oils in the city you'll be fine.