I need shiny hair!

Determined22

I've noticed that my hair is softer, but looking a bit dull, like its lost its shine.

Anyone know any products or techniques to get my shine back?

Thanks!

Do you use products with cones? They usually help shine, but they need to be clarified often. Coconut oil is also good for shine as is Vatika oil. I like Nexxus Retexxtur serum and NTM HSS gives a decent shine. I also like TIGI Control Freak for shine.

Have you considered henna? This seems to be a great benefit to henna in additon to the conditioning properties.

Divine Inspiration said:
Do you use products with cones? They usually help shine, but they need to be clarified often. Coconut oil is also good for shine as is Vatika oil. I like Nexxus Retexxtur serum and NTM HSS gives a decent shine. I also like TIGI Control Freak for shine.

Have you considered henna? This seems to be a great benefit to henna in additon to the conditioning properties.

This is the same problem I had yesterday..NOTHING seemed to work. No matter what I put on my hair it still looked dry as the desert. This morning I woke up and put some Vatika oil on my hair and I got shine immediately. I am so grateful to LocksofLuv for introducing me to Vatika oil. Thank you :)

Divine Inspiration said:

I've henna'd once, maybe 6-8 weeks ago, and I loved the results...I've been in and out of town for work and just haven't had time to do it. But now that you mention it, I think I'm gonna have to henna again.

I might pick up the oils too...Where do I get coconut and vatika oils?

Determined22 said:
I might pick up the oils too...Where do I get coconut and vatika oils?

I get coconut oil from Whole Foods and Vatika oil from a local indian store. There's a vendor online that sells the Vatika oil, but I'm not sure who it is. Check LocksofLuv's thread on Vatika oil for some online recs. Otherwise, you may want to check a local indian grocer, especially if you bought your henna locally.

I clarified and deep conditioned using Trader Joe's Ultra Moisturizing Spa conditioner, and I do definitely notice a difference after clarifying. Looks like I have to clarify twice to get the benefits, then condition with a moisturizing conditioner. Then, I used my leave-ins and sealed with Vatika oil. I'm airdrying in a ponytail with a flexi-rod roller. Let's see how this works...

I agree with the other posters. clarify, clarify , clarify. Those other things sound good to but To add ... during your final rinse, use cold water. It helps me everytime

All the ladies have given great suggestions! Also try adding a couple spoons of honey to your DC next time. :)

According to my hair book, the number one reason for dull lackluster hair is caused by not properly washing out shampoo and conditioner. I use Aveda's light elements smoothing fluid for shine, its a silicone serum.

Sha76 said:
I agree with the other posters. clarify, clarify , clarify. Those other things sound good to but To add ... during your final rinse, use cold water. It helps me everytime

Co-signing:D Cold water lays the cuticle down...especially good for air dried hair.

My hair became more shiny after using Porosity Control each week ..also clarifying weekly,and Lacio Lacio leave-in gives me great shine and silicone based serums I like Smooth n Shine and Ion Silk Drops...I dont use oil while wearing my hair out cuz my hair is fine and it weighs it down but I like Motions oil sheen for shine too.. It doesnt weight my hair down

pinkskates said:
According to my hair book, the number one reason for dull lackluster hair is caused by not properly washing out shampoo and conditioner. I use Aveda's light elements smoothing fluid for shine, its a silicone serum.

I totally agree with this. Lately my hair was having a serious case of the dull drums and I couldn't figure out why. I had always heard it was good to leave a little conditioner in the hair after washing, but lately my hair got particularly dull from doing this. Now I make sure to rinse my conditioner thouroughly. :yep:

I find that EVOO makes my hair real shiney and if I add a little Ojon too my hair. When I don't use a good leave in conditioner my hair comes out real dull and no shine at all. Also I noticed that when I cake my hair w/ too many products I lose shine.

Bumping. I have tried adding olive oil, honey, serum, etc. Quite frankly, the only time my hair would shine was when it was greasy:perplexed. Even when I leave the salon, my hair has sheen but no shine. My hair is getting healthier and longer by the second it seems, BUT I WANT IT TO SHINE...Any other suggestions?

About a month ago I noticed my hair lost its shine and bounce. I had never used a clarifying shampoo before but I just used a cheap one by v05 and it worked wonders. I followed up with a deep moisturizing conditioner and I brought my shine back! Now if I feel like my hair has a lot of build up and no shine, I will clarify. But from what I'm told you shouldn't do this frequently b/c it really strips the hair and can really dry it if you do it too much.

Determined22 said:
I've noticed that my hair is softer, but looking a bit dull, like its lost its shine.

Anyone know any products or techniques to get my shine back?

Thanks!

My sister had the same problem: I got her hair back to healthy but I needed to get it shiney w/o grease, oils, and serums: LACIO LACIO did the trick w/o weighing her hair down.

After *silk-wrap / Before *maxiglide
Cheezits11-vi.jpg

Any henna/casia treatment gives shine

Henna gloss (adding fav condish to henna recipe) gives shine

NTM/Lacio Lacio/La Bomba Leave-ins give shine

The cold water final rinse is a great one

That's all I can think of right now

Back