I REALLY NEED MOISTURE!!!!!!!

kkamara5

my hair, no matter how long I deep condition, just doesnt seem to retain moisture from the products I use..:nono:.I have very thick 4a hair type and the products I've tested so far feels so good in the shower while Im deep conditioning, but once its washed out and my hair dries...my ends feel dry....I have to apply water frequently throughout the day....Im not sure if its the products I use, or if its just my hair....I NEED HELP BIG TIME>>:wallbash:>>I currently use CON(green label) shampoo...QP dpr-11 and ors replenishing pack...to moisturize I use QP mango butter along with some EO....I recently found out that the replenishing packs have protein in them so I limit how often I use them....Im in search for a VERY VERY excellent deep conditioner as well as an excellent moisturizer.....I co-wash frequently, but nothing seems to work.....SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sad::sad::sad::nono:

Are you natural? Have you consider following up with a leave in conditioner or some type of moisturizer afterwards?

Just kiya suggested to me a while back to rinse with Baking Soda. I must say that it did wonders for my ends. It saved me from having to trim unnecessarilly.

I'm natural, not sure whether you are or not.

Just kiya suggested to me a while back to rinse with Baking Soda. I must say that it did wonders for my ends. It saved me from having to trim unnecessarilly.

how do you rinse with baking soda do you mean like color rinse.. or like mix it with water and rinse?

i know :: blonde:: Im 4b relaxed. That was the reason i cut all my bad ends off. its growing back better but they were rough and nasty ..
now they are smooth and juicy due to moisturizing and flat ironing. lol

Hey. I know some think DC’ing is God, but I can DC all day and night but the fact of the matter is my hair needs something left in.
Mango Butter is drying to me I guess b/c it doesn’t have much water in it since it’s so thick and waxy like. Maybe if you tried moisturizing with it on damp hair daily it will work better. I spritz my hair like 2x/ day then moisturize regardless of what type of moisturizer it is. IMO, none of them are good enough. If you straighten, this will cause a problem though I guess.
Another thing you could try that I just started doing is adding a little glycerin, about 2-3 tablespoons to an 8 oz bottle of my moisturizer. I’m currently using Organics Shea Butter and Tea tree moisturizer and it’s pretty good.
I definitely agree with laying off of the protein. It’s a killer for my hair (dryness) when I O.D.

Do you think that something like Porosity control could help? It's supposed to open the pores of the hair or something to that effect so moisture/ relaxer/ whatever can fully penetrate. Then seal like someone mentioned with an oil after a leave in.

my hair, no matter how long I deep condition, just doesnt seem to retain moisture from the products I use..:nono:.I have very thick 4a hair type and the products I've tested so far feels so good in the shower while Im deep conditioning, but once its washed out and my hair dries...my ends feel dry....I have to apply water frequently throughout the day....Im not sure if its the products I use, or if its just my hair....I NEED HELP BIG TIME>>:wallbash:>>I currently use CON(green label) shampoo...QP dpr-11 and ors replenishing pack...to moisturize I use QP mango butter along with some EO....I recently found out that the replenishing packs have protein in them so I limit how often I use them....Im in search for a VERY VERY excellent deep conditioner as well as an excellent moisturizer.....I co-wash frequently, but nothing seems to work.....SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sad::sad::sad::nono:

I use Jane Carter's Hair Nourishing Cream. It give great moisture to my natural hair. I tend to have the same problem with products that feel great on the wet hair, but once the hair gets dried, its like flyaway...:wallbash:

But I find I no longer have that issue when I use Jane Carter's Hair Nourishing Cream. Then seal with the Nourish & Shine. THen tie with silk scarf and got to bed. IN the morning...hair feels like...mmmmmmmm:lick:

i use several things that keep my hair moisturized. first of all i ALWAys use a leave in conditioner or i leave some of my co wash con. in. if i wet bun i spray on paul mitchells moisture mist, add a little carols daught hair milk and seal with coconut oil. if i wear my hair straight i moisturize with keracare creme hairdress and seal with keracare oil or coconut oil:lick:. my haIR HAS NEVER FELT BETTER.

After you DC, do you apply a leave in and/or seal with an oil like jojoba, evoo, or coconut?

The problem may be that your hair is very porous which translates to the outer layer of your hair is damage and since they aren't closing, all the moisture is evaporating from the hair.

Here are some suggestions:

After you dc, apply a rinse and when you go to rinse it out, rinse it out with lukewarm to cool water. This helps close the cuticle a bit. Apply a leave in cond and seal with pure jojoba which is light and won't weigh the hair down. Avoid heat if you can but if you can't, use a low setting and if you are using a blowdryer, end it with a blast of cool air to help close the cuticle some.

If the problem is porosity (damage cuticle-outer layer of hair), then you need to do some major nursing. Two product I know for sure that help with the porosity of hair and I used it when I destroyed my locks is Deep Impact by Salerm cond and Salerm 21 B5 leave in. Fit it into your routine and you shouldn't be sorry.

Water is not a good option for moisture if you aren't sealing it in but if your cuticle is severely damaged, you are going to have to work on repairing it a bit. But all mentioned above should help. Let me know how it goes.

Hope this helps

I agree...you should clarify your ends (I used to only focus on my scalp). I had the same problem last week and I used Suave's Daily clarifying shampoo on my ends they feel so much better. Sometimes all that product buildup makes your hair feel crunchy and dry and adding more products only makes it worse.

how do you rinse with baking soda do you mean like color rinse.. or like mix it with water and rinse?

i know :: blonde:: Im 4b relaxed. That was the reason i cut all my bad ends off. its growing back better but they were rough and nasty ..
now they are smooth and juicy due to moisturizing and flat ironing. lol

2 tablespoons of baking soda in a big mixing bowl of water, and pour on my hair gradually, getting it in there and then rinsing. My ends do not feel rough at all like they once did. I don't know what else to say except that it what I did and it works.

I lied, I added homemade steam treatments to my regimen as well
:grin:

Elasta QP isnt enough moisture.... its good for edges & nape line but thats about it...

sounds like ya need a leave in... the 1 Im currently using is a mix of 2 parts glycerin, 2 parts cheapie conditioner ( Vo5, Suave, etc) and 4 parts of water... shake in spray bottle

I never lack moisture when I use this

Elasta DPR-11 has vasoline in it, I would stop using it if I were you, it could be blocking your moisture.

I agree w/most of what everyone else has posted. But I had this problem last year and it turned out I had way too much permanent dye in my hair (build-up) and on top of that I have hard water. It seemed like my hair never held any moisture. After I've stripped out all the excess dye (no, it didn't damage it) and bought a chelating shampoo and started using a super moisturizing conditioner (Clairol Color Boost) I don't need to put very much oil or moisturizer in it at all. I'll never color my hair that much again-if I feel the need to have black hair I'll just use a rinse.

Elasta DPR-11 has vasoline in it, I would stop using it if I were you, it could be blocking your moisture.

I agree :up:

This product is definitely not moisturizing :nono:

OP, it's great that you are able to recognize "wet hair hype." Many hair product manufacturers depend on this to get us to fall in love with their products. This is when the product feels awesome on wet hair but when it is all said and done it hasn't done anything worthwhile for our hair.

I think some excellent advice has been given in this thread by everyone. Good luck :)

Ojon revitalising spray and Nubian Heritage shea butter spray with frankincense and myrrh ( it also has soy milk and some other good stuff:lick:)
are my staple leave ins now.The latter is pretty much dirt cheap too:yep:
I'll be buying the bigger size when i re-order tomorrow.
You know how you keep hearing less is more? I'm definitely seeing that now:yep:
Down to two leave-ins from rotating about six of them...:drunk:
If i had this combo when i first started my hair journey,i wouldn't have had to trim five times in less than one year:ohwell:

Thank you ladies soooooooo much for all of your information I really appreciate it...........I took some of the info and tweaked it up a little bit...might I add ..my hair feels very well moisturized even after it dried...:grin::grin: This is what I did... I put QP dpr-11 all over my hair from roots to ends...Then ontop of that I put Aubrey's Honeysuckle Rose and saturated my whole head with it...Then I added some EVOO ontop of that...put a baggy on my head and went to sleep...(I figured I needed extra deep conditioning) about 12 hours of deep conditioning....This morning I washed it out, detangled in the shower...Then I moisturized with Giovanni direct leave-in, allittle bit of the honey suckle rose on my ends...then sealed with EVOO and coconut oil.........I LOVE IT...my hair melts like butter..and that is wonderful....My natural 4a hair LOVES IT:yep::grin::yep:...

I haven't read everyone's response and might be stoned for this, but ditch the CON shampoo. My hair's condition improved the day I threw that bottle in the trash. CON felt good in my hair when I was washing it, but after a while, the build up from it was icky! Also my hair would dry hard and it would have an ashy look to it. It also had no definition and it wasn't until I stopped using it that I started to see that my type 4 hair really has the shape of pen springs.

I agree the protein is another thing that you should cut back on.

So what shampoos to use... I dunno. I think you kinda have to use trial and error to find out what your hair likes. I love Nexxus Therappe, NTM with the green cap, Elucence, even Garnier Fructis. I tend to use NTM and Garnier when I feel like my scalp needs a really good clean. Then Elucence and Therappe for days my hair feels like it could use a moisture boost. I also like Garnier (and HE Long which is just on a trial run) because the idea of strengthening my hair during the wash and not just waiting till I DC with Emergencee or GPB doesn't seem like a bad move. I have never done a pure protein treatment. I think reconstructors (have both protein and moisture) are good enough for me, and even then, I do them once in a blue moon. Most of the other times CW or conditioning after a wash is done with a moisturizing conditioner.

Thanks for letting me know..I definitely will try to watch out for that....I thought DPR-11 was an okay product for natural hair???I guess I was wrong....

I just want to say that I didn't have a good experience with Elasta QP mango butter , my hair was dry with this product ( maybe because it contents proteine) , I tried NTM leave in silk touch cream and I'm very happy , I think lot of girls in the forum use it , so you can try it .
Good luck .

I'm a newbie Just paid my $6.50(missed out on the $5.00 membership:wallbash:. Must be gas prices:ohwell:)

Any who, after months of "lurking":fan: and trying to find something to help me with my moisture issues I went out and got some S-curl Moisturizer....Lawd, amen.:clap: That is all.

Back