I stopped taking Biotin...

G

I don't know what happened.

I asked the girl at the health food store could you ever OD or take into much Biotin, and she told me no.

That's a lie! If you've ever taken into much acid, for example, eaten too many oranges (as a child maybe). Well, if eat too many oranges (acidity), you break out with these bumps that are fairly large, tender and itchy.

That's what happened to me and at first I couldn't figure out WHY, because I'd been taking the Biotin for about a year or so. I adjusted my diet, thinking maybe I was drinking too much orange/lemon/prune juice, the bumps remained.

I feared that it was the Biotin and I was right! I was taking the 5 g, once a day. So, I cut out the Biotin for a few days and the bumps went away.

Back on the Biotin I went, but I only took it every other day. Worked well for a while, but soon the bumps were back.

Went off the Biotin AGAIN and once the bumps cleared up, switched to a reduced dosage of-I think it was 200 mcg. That worked all of one day, so I'm off the Biotin.

OnceUponAtime

I hear ya Blossom. I was told that it wasn't toxic, but you could have some type of reaction. My health food store told me that I will have to take breaks from daily dosing, but no one seems to know how long the intervals should be nor can I find any info validating cyclical usage.

G

[ QUOTE ]
OnceUponAtime said:
I hear ya Blossom. I was told that it wasn't toxic, but you could have some type of reaction. My health food store told me that I will have to take breaks from daily dosing, but no one seems to know how long the intervals should be nor can I find any info validating cyclical usage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, plus when I looked at my multi-vitamin guide, I noticed they have NOW included Biotin. It didn't used to contain it, so I guess, in a way, I was OD'ing on it.

Hair still growing though, so more money to buy hair products instead of Biotin

Nonie

Should you ever want to take biotin, you should increase your B5 intake (or start to take it if you aren't already taking it). It helps get rid of the bumps. And you were wise to drink a lot of water. Sometimes that alone helps.

Your experience is another good reason why getting a hair multi is safer than going for single vits. Also biotin works best with niacin, so with a multi, you'll know you're getting vits in the company of those they work with best.

pooh123

You are not alone Blossom. I had to stop taking it as well. It was wrecking havoc on my already acne prone skin no matter what does I was taking or how much water I consumed. It just wasn't worth getting all those tiny bumps on my face.

pooh123

lilchanel

Now you have me thinking.......I have been taking biotin for the last 2 months. I have also noticed the breakouts. It's weird for me because the only time I usually have breakouts is during my cycle. That's something to think about.

moni

i have noticed this with biotin as well. I bought it thinking that i would alternate it with my ultranourishair so as not to take too much biotin. But now my skin looks horrible. At this point I forgot what I was suppose to be taking it for. I just want to get my clear skin back.

Purtygurly

hmmm... It just confuses me soooo much. I mean, biotin is an essential vitamin. We need this vitamin in order to function properly... but people are allergic to it? Maybe it's not so good to have too much biotin, but we all need some... right???

lilchanel

[ QUOTE ]
moni said:
i have noticed this with biotin as well. I bought it thinking that i would alternate it with my ultranourishair so as not to take too much biotin. But now my skin looks horrible. At this point I forgot what I was suppose to be taking it for. I just want to get my clear skin back.

[/ QUOTE ]

How has the ultranourishair worked for you?

Victorian

old head
[ QUOTE ]
Purtygurly said:
hmmm... It just confuses me soooo much. I mean, biotin is an essential vitamin. We need this vitamin in order to function properly... but people are allergic to it? Maybe it's not so good to have too much biotin, but we all need some... right???

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, our bodies need biotin, which is why it's in most multivitamins. You get biotin from a lot of foods as well. People start to see the difference in their hair/nails when they take INCREASED amounts, meaning way more than the recommended amount (which is something like 300mcg).

hotshot

yes, i did some research, and the agreed safe upper limit of biotin intake is 2500mcgs. i know some women take 5000mcgs, which may end up really being too much. im thinking biotin makes your hair grow anyway, but the reason people get itchy scalps and extremely rapid growth is because they are od'ing.