I think I henna'd wrong

vandidix

So, after weeks of anticipation, I finally did my first henna treatment last night. Here’s what I did:

Recipe:
100g henna
½ cup lemon juice
1 cup fresh brewed coffee
5 tbsp amla oil
5 tbsp olive oil

I let the mixture sit for about 1 hr (I wasn’t so concerned with the color effects, so I didn’t let it sit very long). After applying henna, I let it sit on my hair for about 2.5 hours. Then rinsed and shampooed with Motions Lavish Conditioning Shampoo and followed with 1 hr DC with Motions After Shampoo Moisture Plus Conditioner. Then I applied leave-ins, did a wet wrap and slept overnight (which I do frequently).

When I woke up this morning my hair was soooo DRY and brittle. By noon, I had to moisturize 3 times with NTM and mango butter. Any thoughts on why this unusual dryness?

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Lemon Juice and Coffee are very drying and not needed for your henna mix.
Leave those out entirely. :yep:

As you can see they dry your hair out!
Plain water is just fine when mixing your henna.

So, after weeks of anticipation, I finally did my first henna treatment last night. Here’s what I did:

Recipe:
100g henna
½ cup lemon juice
1 cup fresh brewed coffee
5 tbsp amla oil
5 tbsp olive oil

I let the mixture sit for about 1 hr (I wasn’t so concerned with the color effects, so I didn’t let it sit very long). After applying henna, I let it sit on my hair for about 2.5 hours. Then rinsed and shampooed with Motions Lavish Conditioning Shampoo and followed with 1 hr DC with Motions After Shampoo Moisture Plus Conditioner. Then I applied leave-ins, did a wet wrap and slept overnight (which I do frequently).

When I woke up this morning my hair was soooo DRY and brittle. By noon, I had to moisturize 3 times with NTM and mango butter. Any thoughts on why this unusual dryness?

Last edited:

sareca

Some dryness isn't unusual, but it shouldn't be excessive. Try an oil rinse. That's what use--along with conditioning with my favorite moisturizing conditioner overnight.

Last edited:

tricie

I agree with what Sareca and January Noir said; I have used Kinikakes' recipe for henna and hers calls for a few tablespoons of conditioner, EVOO and honey in the mixture; she also said that it's a good idea to rinse out your henna with conditioner, and then deep condition afterwards. It's worked for me!

..off to rinse out my henna

♦K.O♦

Wash and condition your hair STAT!

Henna only needs a little acid to get the dye to release. The problem with your mix is that all of your liquid was acidic, when most of it should have been water (which is pretty neutral.)

vandidix

Lemon Juice and Coffee are very drying and not needed for your henna mix.
Leave those out entirely. :yep:

As you can see they diy your hair out!
Plain water is just fine when mixing your henna.

Thanks January. I thought one of them might be the culprit - especially the lemon juice. I think I'll just use water next time.

vandidix

Some dryness isn't unusual, but it shouldn't be excessive. Try an oil rinse. That's what use--along with conditioning with my favorite moisturizing conditioner overnight.

I think I'll try using a moisturizing conditioner overnight tonight. Hopefully that'll bring my hair back to its normal moisture level!

Starr1

Wash and condition your hair STAT!

Henna only needs a little acid to get the dye to release. The problem with your mix is that all of your liquid was acidic, when most of it should have been water (which is pretty neutral.)

I second that. Most of your mix should be water and only part should be acidic. You can also try ACV instead of lemon juice since it's less drying.