i think i'm done...

NaturalRox

Re: i think i\'m done...

Hairlove, good for you! You'll have lots of fun with your new hair!

silvergirl

good luck hairlove!

just wanted to add(cuttin ones hair does not help ones hair grow faster.. thats total misinformation. an every time i see this posted i cringe.)

WaterMoccasin

I knew this was coming! It has finally peaked- your impatience with your relaxed hair, excitement about your natural hair. I could tell from your recent posts and pics where you created those all-natural looking styles. Once you mentioned going for a trim, i knew this day would be here soon!
Especially since you said you would cut it above brastrap. I was thinking, heck, why not take all the relaxed hair off? If I am correct, this will be the first time your hair has ever been short and this would be the perfect time to try it out! Everyone's gonna say you're crazy for cutting all that looong hair off, but you know what you want. It's not like it'll take long to grow back anyway! And we'd get to watch it

It will look fantastic, i'm sure.

so1913

good luck! I had that same feeling when I cut off my relaxed ends after about 15 months of transitioning.

jainygirl

wow, the time to chop has finally come
i cant wait to see your new look. i think your hair will have a lot of curl to it without the relaxed ends hanging on. -- jainygirl

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
silvergirl said:
good luck hairlove!

just wanted to add(cuttin ones hair does not help ones hair grow faster.. thats total misinformation. an every time i see this posted i cringe.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this I know! I think the truth is that it "appears" to grow faster b/c you are starting off with fresh hair and have less breakage which gives the myth of slow-growing hair. If anything, a nice cut will get you at a good starting part to be able to "retain" more length.

Silvergirl - thanks for your support. I love your hair journal!

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
BahamaMama said:
I knew this was coming! It has finally peaked- your impatience with your relaxed hair, excitement about your natural hair. I could tell from your recent posts and pics where you created those all-natural looking styles. Once you mentioned going for a trim, i knew this day would be here soon!
Especially since you said you would cut it above brastrap. I was thinking, heck, why not take all the relaxed hair off? If I am correct, this will be the first time your hair has ever been short and this would be the perfect time to try it out! Everyone's gonna say you're crazy for cutting all that looong hair off, but you know what you want. It's not like it'll take long to grow back anyway! And we'd get to watch it

It will look fantastic, i'm sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this will be my very first time with short hair all over. Depending on how it's cut, it will definitely shrink to above shoulder length. Something different for me.

This morning I woke up wavering back and forth a bit but now that it's the end of the work day, I'm sticking with my decision. I've found some hairstyles that I think will work with my length. It also helps that my best friend is also transitioning and the point of being ready to cut (before me actually). So, I'm not going this alone. I have you guys and my best friend. Now if only we can find a place to have it done. Even though I've made my decision, it may take me a couple of weeks to find the right salon.

Why can't I afford to hop a plane to Curve to get it done??

Ayeshia

Good Luck with your decision Hairlove!!!!!!! Girl I know If I can pull of a few things with this short of mines that I have, then I definitely know that you will be able to do a lot of things with yours
I cant wait to see the end results!

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
mrstwisty said:
Hairlove I am so happy for you. Your hair is absolutely beautiful.. I would suggest seeing a professional. You will miss the length for a little while. I had really long hair too.

Keep in mind that you must do what is best for YOU and your hair. I was starting to see splitting at point where my natural hair and relaxed hair met and I transitioned for almost a year.

You will be able to appreciate those curls when the stringy part is gone gone gone. Love your hair. Your username is your inspiration.

Best of Wishes.

Don't forget to post.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I am not even sure just "how much" I will miss the length since I wear my hair up all the time b/c I hate the length.
But I am sure that I will miss it to some degree.

I have been worried about a section in the back of my head. From the root, it's very silky to halfway and then the rest is hard and crunchy...like they are fried. I need to get that trimmed and that's part of the reason I am ready to go for the gusto. I don't want to risk of further damaging my hair if what I'm doing now is.

If most of you don't remember - I had a bad relaxer that caused my hair to break and for all I know, it could be what's causing the weird damaged/fried/frizzy sections of my hair.

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
A_Christian said:
Congradulations hairlove! Your natural hair is already pretty lengthy so that should help you to feel better about letting the relaxed ends go.
In some of the pictures in your album you marked the point at which the relaxed and natural hair meet, you could just go to the stylist with your hair like that and explain to them to only cut off the straight part. Then they can work on giving you the type of layers you want after the relaxed ends are gone, that way they won't immediately cut off more hair than you want them to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope to figure out something b/c I really would like to keep as much length as possible. I've come up with a huge list of questions to ask a few natural salons in my area about.

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:

wooohoo i knew this day was coming soon. im done with you girl!
whenever your ready

i know your gonna be sooo happy

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...I'm looking forward to having your length in oh say...3 more years!

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
Are you really sure you want cut it right now?

I think the cut you're talking about is called a wedge cut. A lot of curlies/nappies have this cut, but right now I'm thinking of Coffyisis, Yante Coi and Anikalia. You can see it in their albums.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I woke up this morning, I wasn't sure...honestly. But as the day wore on and as I talked with my best friend, I feel comfortable with my decision. (But I am a woman!)

I always thought Yante Coi was my hair twin but she's since closed her hair album. I miss it so much.

However, I don't think I'd like the wedge cut on myself. I want more length in the back. My front is shorter so it wouldn't work anyhow.

Thank you for the suggestions, I visit the pictures of Anikalia and Coffyisis constantly!

Chichi

Good luck with your decision hairlove. I know exactly how you feel. I hated those relaxed ends while I was transitioning and still hate the bone-straight ends that I am still holding on to.

You may want to do a big trim first. That would alleviate the relaxed ends look, then if you like go ahead with the CHOP...just a freindly suggestion, do what you feel is best and good luck!

Chichi

inthepink

Thanks, Chi Chi. I do appreciate your suggestion and I have thought about that. A big trim but that comes with lots of questions...what kind of big trim? Will I be able to style my hair better with a big trim. I don't know. I am certainly open to suggestions and I know sometimes when you go to the salon they will suggest hanging on to "some" of the relaxed ends for longer. So, I will definitely take ideas into consideration. Thanks!

Tracy

Congrats Hairlove...

I just wanted to suggest trying to see if there's a Ouidad affliated salon in your area.

She specializes in curly hair, and trains salons all over the country in her technique. Maybe you could get a consultation with one and see how you feel?

I think someone who specializes in curly hair would be best to ensure a great cut that you'll enjoy playing with as it grows back out.

http://www.ouidad.com

She's got a downloadable guide for curlies and a salon finder I think.....

Enjoy! Make sure you tell us when the pics are up!