i think im gonna relax, lord help me

The first time I straightened my hair, I looked like a lion with a huge straight mane LOL

It takes time to get down a good technique, the right combination of products, so unless you just want to texlax anyway, I would suggest waiting a bit and then trying again.

KC, was it you with the secret formula for a rollerset?

*tries to keep a straight face as I visualize that post*

CAN'T!!!!! :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :rofl: :lol: :dead:

If you choose to texlax just be careful and do a lot of research first.

You don't want to have to big chop again due to a set back.

Hijack alert: JNSQ your hair makes me ...♪♪weak at the knees, I can hardly speak...♪ :drool:

What you, OP, describe is what used to happen to me when I pressed my hair until I discovered the controversial wet-to-dry pressing.

I don't blowdry before I flat iron, so I don't think that's necessary. I stretch my hair without heat either by letting it dry in braids or lately, using Curlformers. I also believe in wet-to-dry flat ironing and when I used heat protectants instead of just water, I had a wonderful press.

I DC'd with Giovanni Magnetic and AO GPB on dry hair then shampooed with Garnier (I was thinking of strengthening my hair as much as possible). Then I started my heat protection process:
  • First I conditioned with CHI Infra Thermal Treatment, applying it as if it were relaxer on very small sections at a time and combing through with a fine tooth comb. Left that on as long as instructions say then rinsed leaving hair wet.
  • Next I airdried/stretched in CFs before starting my WTD press but instead of using water as I have always done, I used a wet heat protectant spray by John Frieda which I made sure to coat each strand VERY well. And passed the iron once on each CF section and got a blown-out effect.
  • Once all sections were done, I started from the back working on very narrow sections that I made sure were coated very well with heat protectant serum to seal and passed the iron once again.
I had NO smell of burning hair any time during the process or even after. And my hair looks thicker and more tightly coiled than yours.

This was where I started:
rabouttorinsebeforeflatironing-vi.jpg

And this was where I ended up:
flatironthroughhaironemoretime-vi.jpg

As BlackCardinal said, it takes practice.
DON'T QUIT

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest, if you must, but don't you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns,
And many a failure turns about,
When he might have won had he stuck it out;
Don't give up though the pace seems slow--
You may succeed with another blow.

Often the goal is nearer than,
It seems to a faint and faltering man,
Often the struggler has given up,
When he might have captured the victor's cup,
And he learned too late when the night slipped down,
How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out--
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems so far,
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit--
It's when things seem worst that you must not quit.

- Author unknown
Thank you Ms Nonie :yep: :grin:

I have been following your threads since your BC and there seems to be a recurrent theme that you have not fully embraced yourself as a natural head:

One of your threads expressed concern about having your father's texture.

Another one expressed concern that you couldn't create a wave pattern in your hair.

You've created a couple of threads about straightening your hair soon after your BC.

I think texlaxing/relaxing would be a good option for you; because imo you didn't mentally transition (as evidenced by your threads) and a mental transition is needed in order to accept, appreciate, and love your natural curls.

If i had known there was a back story to this i would have responded differerently to this thread. OP is it that you can't straighten your hair correctly or is it that you don't have the texture you desire? If you want to texlax then do it. Just be prepared for the consequences (good, and bad).

i love my texture, i just said that. how i felt in the past is different from how i feel now. i didnt know my past posts would come back to haunt me........
anyway ill probably just do a self BKT. ill know in the future if im frustrated with my hair to write it down in a journal or something because people always seem to use the past againt you and thats why i can barely trust people with my business today. i grow everyday who i was yesterday isnt me today. anyways thanks for the advice ladies.

I am glad you posted how you are/were feeling. For some of us our hair journey can be very frustrating. I have really struggled with my hair my entire life, well since I was 13 when I got my first relaxer. I bc'd twice, only to return to relaxers, and regretting it both times. I really hope my 3rd time going natural will be it because I'm tired of going back & forth. Anyway I just wanted to tell you that it's okay to stumble and be unsure and to make mistakes. We are all human and imperfect. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Don't do anything without first thinking it out. If you can really say that you feel that texlaxing is best for your hair then go for it. Make sure you research a good stylist and keep your eyes open while they are processing your hair. I texlaxed after a month of being frustrated with my natural hair and the matting and knotting I was getting. The first texlax was everything I wanted and could have hoped for. 6 months later I got a touch up and my hair was shedding, breaking, and had random straight sections and ends. I could no longer wear it curly, andy I was afraid to use too much heat due to breakage. I ended up having to cut off all my progress. Make sure your stylist knows what they are doing and if they are doing multiple heads walk away. It doen't work because texlaxing requires it to be watched and monitered from beginning to end.

Only YOU know your hair.... Everybodies hair is not the same.... And everybodies hair doesn't act the same...Even though We are all here to get more info on how to have healthy and growing hair. It Still boils down to your choose on what makes you happy. You can have Healthy hair Natural, Texlaxed, Relaxed. OP "Do what makes and sets you FREE in your own uniqueness." Be bless in what ever you decide.

LBrown do you. I think people are trying to help avoid you getting set up for disappointment based on things you mentioned before. I know for me I thought texlaxing was going to be the bees knees. So why is it that I am now 15 or so months post lol.

Ultimately its your hair and you can do whatever you feel you need to do. My whole thing is that depending on your thought process it may or may not give you the results you desire. Good luck and I hope everything goes smoothly. Bottom line, its not permenant so go for it

i love my texture, i just said that. how i felt in the past is different from how i feel now. i didnt know my past posts would come back to haunt me........
anyway ill probably just do a self BKT. ill know in the future if im frustrated with my hair to write it down in a journal or something because people always seem to use the past againt you and thats why i can barely trust people with my business today. i grow everyday who i was yesterday isnt me today. anyways thanks for the advice ladies.

Try not to look at it in that way. It sounds trite but think of the ladies as your 'guardian angels' they only have your best interest at heart; no one wants to see you post in a few months time to express that you regret your decision. Although from reading your posts you have made up your mind and are sure.

At the end of the day it's your hair and you shouldn't have to justify your hair decisions to anyone.

BKT sounds a pretty good compromise though. :)

well texlax. i straightened my hair today and it looked a hot mess. it also took ALL DAY to do it. i really wanan stay natural and i love my curls but i dont want them all the time. i don have the money to BKT its against my religion to pay all that damn money for something temperary. i blow dried my hair first and flat ironed it and my ends are shot but other than that my hair is WAY too thick and it looks like a straight afro :nono:
idk what to do! my main concern is some dumb stylists relaxing my hair straight and me cursing her out in the middle of the salon! so i was also thinking of buying just for me and doing it myself. idk what i should do??

I used to consider doing BKT but realized I did not need it after learning how to flat iron my hair properly. I created a thread that has before and after pics. I think if you read that thread, it may be quite useful for you. I actually made it with thoughts of this very same situation in mind.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=431336

I am actually going to make a youtube video (as soon as my new cam arrives) next week on how I straighten and the pre steps to making sure your hair comes out silky smooth.

Last edited:
If you do decide to go the chemical route their was a thread of someone on here who self texlaxed and her hair still looks natural but it was more manageable and easier for her to maintain. She didn't comb or smooth the relaxer on she just applied let it sit for some time and then rinsed. i can't remember her name or else I'd look up the thread.

Back