I want to make my texlaxed hair straighter...how..

myronnie

So some background on my hair: It's very thick texlaxed waistlength when straightened.
I'm getting a little overwhelmed with the thickness of my hair and whenever I wash it I always have to straighten it to be able to style it because it's so thick that it breaks the ponytail holders!!
I've been texlaxing with ORS NO-lye for a couple years (using castor oil in the relaxer) and I really want to stop texlaxing and make my hair straighter. The ends of my hair are straight because they aren't texlaxed but the rest of my hair is verrrry poofy and pretty much an afro.
Would it be possible to re-relax the rest of my hair for a short time without damaging it? How should I do this without damaging my hair?

davisbr88

I hope someone answers!
I just came in because I am trying to learn more about texlaxing since I don't understand it, but I'm posting to tell you that your siggy pic is freakin adorable! And your hair looks very lovely.

Your Cheeziness

I'm sure you "can", but I wouldn't. I would go to a professional to do that since your ends are straighter than the rest of your hair. If you choose to do it yourself, I'd definitely do it in small, controllable sections.

EllePixie

I can't speak from personal experience, but in my research I've learn that if you double process the hair you have to be absolutely sure you're using the same chemicals. Like, if you use a lye relaxer over no-lye, that would be very bad. Sorry I'm not more help, I hope someone else chimes in. I have seen people go over a tex though throughout their length.

kandiekj100

bumping for you OP. Natural here, and even when relaxed, I was on the HHJ, so I don't know the best way to go about doing this. Maybe there is another telax to relax lady than can help.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
you need to use the same product. that's for sure. do not go for a different brand or a lye relaxer. you will kill your hair.

you can get the same relaxer and stop putting the castor oil in it or keep the castor oil but process the hair a little longer. i would only add 5 minutes at a time. do your roots only (i assume you self texlax) make sure you apply a protectant or conditioner to the ends of your hair.

it is better to underprocess than to overprocess.

i have done this. you have to be careful, but this is what i did (this was about three years ago when i transitioned from relaxed to texlaxed and the first texlax was not to my liking) ......

first i got a texlax touch up on my new growth so that all the hair was the same texture. (i use a low lye relaxer to texlax my hair. it usually processes for about 15 minutes total. no smoothing the hair shaft)

then 2/3 weeks later (so their was very little new growth) i reapplied the relaxer to loosen the curl a little more. i only let it process about 5, maybe barely 10 minutes. basically i applied it and immediately rinsed it out. so the relaxer was on my head only the amount of time it took to apply it.

i always apply protectant to the previously texlaxed hair. i did this both times.

i also deep conditioned both times i processed.

and i did an intense protein followed immediately by a deep moisturizer two weeks after i did the second texlax.

my hair was fine afterward. from that point on i just texlaxed for 20 minutes instead of 15 to get a looser curl on my new growth.

if your hair curl pattern doesn't loosen enough for you if you try this DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS AGAIN. stretch your next touch up and try it again 6 months or so from now. let your hair cuticle rest from all the chemicals.

imaccami

I think you can, but because your hair is so long it'll be difficult to get the same straightness everywhere. I think you're going to end up with some areas just how you want it and other areas straighter than they were, but not as straight as you want. I don't think that will cause a set-back, it'll probably just be annoying.

I think you would have to do a small section of your head at a time and be very careful to relax each section for the exact same amount of time. IMO, that's going to be difficult to do because you should probably only leave the relaxer in 5 mins or so.

BTW, it's not true that you can't put lye over no-lye or vice versa. I've done it and it's in Shamboosie's book that it's ok to do.

niqu92

when i was natural two yrs ago i decided to texlax to loosen my curl but after a while my hair became so overwhelming because i was MBL with suuuuper thick hair and the only time it was managable was when i straightened it-trust me i broke pleeenty of pony tail holders too so i was pretty much in the same position as you
soo i became fed up and decided to fully relax my hair.I was scared that my hair would break off too but it didnt....but then again my hair is indestructable lol
My hair didnt break off at all and now im currently relaxed with healthy almost WL hair

i think you should do it because like i said i was in the same position as you a couple yrs ago&i knw exactly how you feel.If you dont leave the relaxer in too long then i think you should be fine

lolascurls

I agree that it must be possible. I don't trust more hair "professionals" so I personaaly wouldn't ask one to do it. Yeah, if you apply in small sections and leave on for short periods of time, you should get the desired effect. I wouldn't so any extra smoothing though or you will get super -straight easy to break hair.
Hope it goes well, hon! (Ps: have you updated your fotki yet....lol :lol: :lol: )

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
I can't speak from personal experience, but in my research I've learn that if you double process the hair you have to be absolutely sure you're using the same chemicals. Like, if you use a lye relaxer over no-lye, that would be very bad. Sorry I'm not more help, I hope someone else chimes in. I have seen people go over a tex though throughout their length.

Sorry but it is not bad, many people who switch over to lye will run the relaxer over the no-lye hair to rid the hair of the calcium deposits.

Lebiya

Anyone know of any good threads about Texlaxing to Perming specifically?...I tried to search.

I'm thinking about textlaxing, however later on I may want to perm (most likely)

EllePixie

Sorry but it is not bad, many people who switch over to lye will run the relaxer over the no-lye hair to rid the hair of the calcium deposits.

Interesting. Well, I've done it when I had a relaxer and my hair was dry and my scalp was terrible (total monet hair), but I also didn't know how to care for my hair in other ways, so I can't say that alone did it. Just going off of what I have read. But I don't have a relaxer anymore, so I will take your word for it.

lilikoi

I recommend a BKT!

It's been reported to give straight, frizz-free results on texlaxed or otherwise pre-treated hair (bleached, etc.) if done correctly (avoid the extreme temps usually recommended). However, be aware that it will be VERY straight.

Check out the "keratin treatment support thread" for more info.

ETA: Your hair is just beautiful! And I wish I had your "thickness" problem!:yep:

Last edited:

afjhnsn

Subbing. I have the same problem. I guess I'm technically texlaxed in some areas, but it's different all-over. I recently tried to do my own relaxer and severely underprocessed to the point where it doesn't look like I did anything. ANYWAY ... hopefully more ppl reply :)

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Subbing. I have the same problem. I guess I'm technically texlaxed in some areas, but it's different all-over. I recently tried to do my own relaxer and severely underprocessed to the point where it doesn't look like I did anything. ANYWAY ... hopefully more ppl reply :)

Did you use a conditioning lye relaxer, if so then that is the reason you are severly underprocessed.

When I was re-learning how to apply my relaxers. I went through alot trying to get it the texture I preferred. It boiled down to using to different strengths, super Mizani BB in the back and reg Mizani BB in the front.

afjhnsn

I'm underprocessed b/c I took too long doing one side, then rushed to do the other and did little to no smoothing. Not to mention, the whole mirror thing completely threw me off so there were definitely some sections that got very little relaxer on at all =/
It was a MESS.

ETA: I used Mizani BB regular

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
I'm underprocessed b/c I took too long doing one side, then rushed to do the other and did little to no smoothing. Not to mention, the whole mirror thing completely threw me off so there were definitely some sections that got very little relaxer on at all =/
It was a MESS.

ETA: I used Mizani BB regular

Yup that was the culprit. Densed haired ladies will only texturize not texlax with Mizani BB regular.

The front of my hair came out fine initially with the Mizani BB but the back using the same strength was a DISASTER!!!! It took 3 TU's and leaving it on for WAY to long for me to jump up to the super. I left it on for the reg time (15-18 min) and smoothed each section 3x and my hair came out perfectly with waves.

I cant used the super on the front I get bone straight while smoothing 1x and leaving it on 15 min. I was going to add oils to it to lessen the strength but I figured I would just spend the money and have it come out right the first time.

I have also figured out how to get it on faster in the back, I apply the relaxer vertically however I will smooth horizontally and vertically to ensure all NG is covered. Applying this way took 3 min off my application time and left me with more time to smooth.

Because this relaxer is so thick we may think we have covered all the hair but it does not seep into the sections the way a looser relaxer will.

Last edited:

afjhnsn

Yup that was the culprit. Densed haired ladies will only texturize not texlax with Mizani BB regular.

The front of my hair came out fine initially with the Mizani BB but the back using the same strength was a DISASTER!!!! It took 3 TU's and leaving it on for WAY to long for me to jump up to the super. I left it on for the reg time (15-18 min) and smoothed each section 3x and my hair came out perfectly with waves.

I cant used the super on the front I get bone straight while smoothing 1x and leaving it on 15 min. I was going to add oils to it to lessen the strength but I figured I would just spend the money and have it come out right the first time.

I have also figured out how to get it on faster in the back, I apply the relaxer vertically however I will smooth horizontally and vertically to ensure all NG is covered. Applying this way took 3 min off my application time and left me with more time to smooth.

Because this relaxer is so thick we may think we have covered all the hair but it does not seep into the sections the way a looser relaxer will.
Ooh ...
Thank you! I'm too paranoid to try it myself again for a bit :nono: But I'm also paranoid about going to a shop for a corrective b/c Idk what other types of relaxers were used on my hair when I initially got it relaxed (10/2009) and then touched up the next few times :ohwell: The time before this was also Mizani BB, but I got a friend to apply it & it was mostly fine. Ughh =/
If I come back w a thread about how I'm bald-headed and going to jail bc I strangled a stylist ... well, you'll know what happened:look:

ETA: why did it censor my use of the word "b*ldheaded"

Last edited:

myronnie

I agree that it must be possible. I don't trust more hair "professionals" so I personaaly wouldn't ask one to do it. Yeah, if you apply in small sections and leave on for short periods of time, you should get the desired effect. I wouldn't so any extra smoothing though or you will get super -straight easy to break hair.
Hope it goes well, hon! (Ps: have you updated your fotki yet....lol :lol: :lol: )

Girl, have you seen my fotki? I haven't updated that stuff in almost a year!
I'm waiting to get my camera cord back from Massachusetts..

myronnie

I recommend a BKT!

It's been reported to give straight, frizz-free results on texlaxed or otherwise pre-treated hair (bleached, etc.) if done correctly (avoid the extreme temps usually recommended). However, be aware that it will be VERY straight.

Check out the "keratin treatment support thread" for more info.

ETA: Your hair is just beautiful! And I wish I had your "thickness" problem!:yep:

Thanks so much :D
My hair used to be so lifeless and thin..it was unbearable and I wanted to change it..
So I started mixing the castor oil in with my relaxer and WALAAA thick hair "full of body" as my dad describes it. That's a plus! However, it is overwhelming at times.

myronnie

Um, I'm just glad to see you post. I haven't seen you in quite a while! Hi :wave:
hay girl hay! I still remember when you first started transitioning to natural hair (seems like a WHILE back) you still have gorgeous hair!
I promise I'll start posting more once I get my camera cord back so I can update