I was so Excited to meet another hair obsessed woman IRL until...

LadyPBC

Unless you have wavy or well defined curly hair this journey can be tough. I will admit that I don't always love my hair and I've got about 3 textures going on. I would love to wash my hair and have defined curls or coils when I jump from the shower. I am learning to work with and love my hair more and more but people can be so rude and insensitive. My BFF just said the other day that a family member who didn't need it got a job while a friend of the family (in desperate need) didn't and its probably because he needed a hair cut and his hair is nappy. She and her immediate family have curly hair so I guess she's not about this life.

I remember a couple of years ago wearing my natural hair out to a business event (I often do) but this time I really thought that I was kinda cute! I later learned that a Caucasian woman mentioned to my friend and colleague that she can't believe that I came out of the house looking like that.:blush: I am years later still angry about that remark and want to confront her.

Sorry to jack the thread. The only hair obsessed women I know have curly or wavy hair and normally would not consider me someone they could comfortably converse with I'm sure because I don't have "good" hair like they do:ohwell:. The comments they make because of wigs and extensions etc. like they couldn't be caught dead and others wear them because they need them while they have better hair so no need for that kind of 'foolishness'. I just can't:sad:

I wish that we could rid ourselves of the self hatred and hatred of how uniquely we are all made by God.

Cendra

Thanks for sharing this. I'm not sure what's worse - her ignorant comments about your hair (and hers), or the way she put herself down in front of what most societies still consider to be the gauge for female beauty. If there was ever a way to tell the world that we're subpar, she nailed it.

If you can find it within yourself to go back, and leave her a card with this website, CurlyNikki et al, it might be a start. Because trying to talk to someone who's that brainwashed would be pointless.