I was watching REBA the other day and the racial undertones were so obvious

cocochanty

So the episode was about the hurricane Katrina victims (most of who happen to be African-American but anyway). The character Barbara Jean got her hair cornrowed by one of the hurricane victims and she was like "now I don’t have to wash my hair for a month." It was like she was saying that all African-Americans with cornrows don’t wash their hair for a month.

So the racial undertones were so obvious

That is all
:nono::swearing:

So the episode was about the hurricane Katrina victims (most of who happen to be African-American but anyway). The character Barbara Jean got her hair cornrowed by one of the hurricane victims and she was like "now I don’t have to wash my hair for a month." It was like she was saying that all African-Americans with cornrows don’t wash their hair for a month.

So the racial undertones were so obvious

That is all
:nono::swearing:

Ok, not cool but aren't there black people who do that though? Keep braids in for a month without washing? Or is it just the fact that it came off facetious?

Ok, not cool but aren't there black people who do that though? Keep braids in for a month without washing? Or is it just the fact that it came off facetious?

I know right. Wasn't there a thread about this very thing? And the consensus was that as Black women we DON'T wash our hair enough. Now as far as the show, I don't know what was supposed to be implied and since I didn't see the show to see what context it was said in, I can't really comment

I dont know you guys I mean:nono:. It makes it look like there is a majority of us( black people) who do not bathe. That's all.

I'm not knockin anyone who doesnt wash their hair for a month, that's on them. :look:

I understand both points of view. We know many don't wash their hair enough. But to white people bathing/showering is synonymous with washing your hair, so to them in alot of cases, not washing ur hair is confusing. Trust me i've been asked the question by white people and i had to check em. Yes I bathe but no i don't wash my hair everyday:look:

Maybe I am just jaded, but I think a lot of people saying stupid stuff like this really don't know any better. I did not see it so it is hard for me to judge, but it sounds like she needed some knowledge on braid care, just like half the black people that get braids. Again, the fact that I did not see it makes it hard for me to give a true opinion. But, based on reading about it, I would not take it as a racial undertone - she been talking to one of those people that really DOES'T wash when in braids. Please, the lady that braided it may have told her not to wash it! Many braiders do.

When i have gotten braids, I wash them THAT DAY! I cannot tell you how many times they frown on that and tell me I shouldn't do that.

There's a movie coming out called"Baby Mama"...and this with Reba is news? They've been mocking blacks for a while on that show and every white show out there.

Maybe I am just jaded, but I think a lot of people saying stupid stuff like this really don't know any better. I did not see it so it is hard for me to judge, but it sounds like she needed some knowledge on braid care, just like half the black people that get braids. Again, the fact that I did not see it makes it hard for me to give a true opinion. But, based on reading about it, I would not take it as a racial undertone - she been talking to one of those people that really DOES'T wash when in braids. Please, the lady that braided it may have told her not to wash it! Many braiders do.

When i have gotten braids, I wash them THAT DAY! I cannot tell you how many times they frown on that and tell me I shouldn't do that.

Pretty Much!
Also the point to that episode is that Barbara Jean was such an idiot, that she would think that? There are people that say dumb stuff everyday and if anyone ever watched the show she and Van were the two idiots.

Brave,
Baby Mama is about a surrogate mother....Hence Baby Mama. Trailer Park folk say Baby Mama too.

There's a movie coming out called"Baby Mama"...and this with Reba is news? They've been mocking blacks for a while on that show and every white show out there.

The is totally OT, but how is that movie mocking us? (BNG, I respectfully, ask that. It seems that many times on the board, if someone disagrees with another, some get upset or defensice. I think we can agree to disagree and talk about it with no hard feelings)

The term "baby mama" is not a black term, in my opinion. Maybe some people say that. Some jokingly, and some seriously in certain social groups.

I saw the trailer for that movie and there is that one stupid guy that was from 40 year old virgin that was saying that stupid stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU34zV9A3gU I don't like him anyway.

I agree with the sentiments of this article: http://www.blackamericaweb.com/site.aspx/sayitloud/kane421

I don't associate myself with that term. At this point it has become a part of pop-culture.

Anyway, like I said - off topic. I can honestly and openly say that I do think that we sometimes look for things (not talking about you BNG, just speaking generally) to separate ourselves from the rest of America. I do think there are racial issues that need to be dealt with, but I do feel that a lot of the things that come up are not really racially driven at all.

The stylists who give braids often tell people not to wash them. And in reality we don't have to wash our hair as much as Whites. I think the joke was that Barbara Jean thought that just because she had braids she didn't have to do what she normally would. I think if you surveyed Black people w/braids most probably don't wash them that often in order to keep them from getting frizzy.

Maybe and hopefully what she meant is that since her hair is in braids the oiliness that motivates them to wash their hair daily won't be an issue since the hair is in braids. :perplexed I tried.

Pretty Much!
Also the point to that episode is that Barbara Jean was such an idiot, that she would think that? There are people that say dumb stuff everyday and if anyone ever watched the show she and Van were the two idiots.

Brave,
Baby Mama is about a surrogate mother....Hence Baby Mama. Trailer Park folk say Baby Mama too.

exactly... it wasn't that deep...

i think its 2 sided, there are alot of african american shows that says things about white people and visa versa. As far as the terms there alot of terms that originated from hip hop that now white people use. Such as, thats hot ( now being used by paris hilton) old white men use to call younger boys "son", and now we use it in hip hop. And of course we all know the famous "dude" now the hip hop community uses it.

just a thought

I would agree... I don't see how y'all got from not washing cornrows for a month to black people being dirty. It's not that serious.

The is totally OT, but how is that movie mocking us? (BNG, I respectfully, ask that. It seems that many times on the board, if someone disagrees with another, some get upset or defensice. I think we can agree to disagree and talk about it with no hard feelings)

The term "baby mama" is not a black term, in my opinion. Maybe some people say that. Some jokingly, and some seriously in certain social groups.

I saw the trailer for that movie and there is that one stupid guy that was from 40 year old virgin that was saying that stupid stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU34zV9A3gU I don't like him anyway.

I agree with the sentiments of this article: http://www.blackamericaweb.com/site.aspx/sayitloud/kane421

I don't associate myself with that term. At this point it has become a part of pop-culture.

Anyway, like I said - off topic. I can honestly and openly say that I do think that we sometimes look for things (not talking about you BNG, just speaking generally) to separate ourselves from the rest of America. I do think there are racial issues that need to be dealt with, but I do feel that a lot of the things that come up are not really racially driven at all.

Yea, it is, the title for the film was a play on the common term, "baby momma," which is usually associate with black women. Now, obviously, the subject matter has long transcend the black community and became a cultural subculture, but the fact that when I hear a white person using the term its usually said in a mockingly way with a "Shaniqua" accent. nonetheless.... the words itself started in our communities...unfortunately.

This show is really tacky. I'm glad they chose the actors they did for it.

@the OP. Barbara Jean always makes really stupid comments on the show. It's her thing.

Yea, it is, the title for the film was a play on the common term, "baby momma," which is usually associate with black women. Now, obviously, the subject matter has long transcend the black community and became a cultural subculture, but the fact that when I hear a white person using the term its usually said in a mockingly way with a "Shaniqua" accent. nonetheless.... the words itself started in our communities...unfortunately.

As far as I know the term Baby Mama did not start in the black community. White folks have always used that term. Actually alot of terms we use as a culture were passed down from during slave time that the slaves learned from WHITE PEOPLE. I think there is a big misnomer in our own community as to some of the terminology we use even today and where it came from.

What about when a white salon is called kinkz(spelled just like that)? I know a little off topic but I'm still shocked.

Barbara Jean makes dumb comment all the time. it is her staple on the show. Plus lots of AA women DON'T wash their hair when they have cornrows/weaves/braids.
I have a friend that looks always so put together...make up, nice shoes, nice clothes, etc. She has weaves all the time. I helped her take it down last week and her har was dirty underneath. So i asked how often she washes her hair. She said she hadn't wash it in 2 MONTHS!!!

I think it is simply an assumption based on lack of knowledge and understanding. I had braids on a trip to Costa Rica a few years ago and one of the white males in my group made the statement "how do you wash your hair?" it was clear that he simply did not know how you could possibly wash your hair and maintain braids. A few days later when I was washing my hair a female member of the group said "oh so you can wash your hair" I took it as an opportunity to educate and enlighten.

I'm not ashamed. I have watched quite a few episodes of Reba.

The Golden Girls is also one of my favorite shows to this day. :lachen:

I also like Gidget and Friends.

:blush:

:rofl:

I do find it interesting that black comedians can pretty much say anything about other black people and it's hilarious though.

I've heard WAY worse (and funnier) black jokes.

I think people get mad when they realize that other people DO pick up on our behaviors.

I know if I went and told a large group of non-hairboard black people that I wash my hair twice a week, they'd say that's way too often.

Just like we know, some of "them" know.

I dunno. This specific joke was awkward. I'm more mad at the fact that it didn't make me laugh than of the racial undertones. If you're gonna do a black joke, make it funny.

Back